Irish Steel Guitar Festival this weekend at the

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Phil ONeill

Irish Steel Guitar Festival this weekend at the

Post by Phil ONeill »

....Europa Hotel

Bruce Bouton is the featured artist at this years event.

It starts at noon on Sat 14 Oct until after 6 pm on Sun 15 Oct 2006.

Bruce will be leading the charge on a show that will also present
Sarah Jory,Richard Nelson, Mark Horn,Percy Robinson,Derek Thurlby,
Allan Thompson,Lionel Wendling and many more fine steel players.
This is our fifth festival and we have always showcased the finest steel players
in the world,Doug Jernigan,Bobbe Seymour,Al Brisco,Ron Elliot and this year
Bruce Bouton .These years also included great sets from Gerry Hogan,Pete Grant,
Basil Henriques,Jim Cohen and Nils Tuxen.
We are looking forward to meeting all our steel guitar friends at this years show
which is guaranteed to be a fantastic exhibition of great steel playing.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Phil ONeill on 09 October 2006 at 03:32 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Phil ONeill on 09 October 2006 at 03:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

I'm sure gonna miss you folks this year. I had a totally delightful and unforgettable time there. I'm grinning from ear to ear just thinking about it.

It would be sad to see anyone miss it who had the possibility of going. I'd say it was a weekend of what you'd like life to be like all the time.

Here's to a great festival!
Geir Arne Boska

Post by Geir Arne Boska »

Your steelguitar friends in Norway sends you the best wishes for your steel festival.
Sure wish we could be there :-)
Feel free to send us an update on: www.steelgitarklubb.com

Kind regards
Geir Arne Boska

------------------
Dekley SD-10, Fender Steel King

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

What Pete said! Have a great weekend! Wish I were there instead of here!
Jimbeaux
Ron Elliott

Post by Ron Elliott »

Phil, we miss you all and wish we were there. Please tell all the guys and gals we said a fond Hello. You have a good one this year, and we'll be thinking of you. You are a wonderful host...Say Hello to Bruce for us. Ron & Leslie Elliott<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ron Elliott on 10 October 2006 at 06:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
Allan Thompson

Post by Allan Thompson »

Well that,s the bags and the guitar packed ready for the off in the morning. Better get there early before Phil, Butch and Mark drink all the guinness.
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

OK, guys. I want a full report.
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

Come on, fellas and gals. It's past 8pm on Monday over there. Haven't you recovered yet? Oh, that's right. When I played there it took me a week to catch up on sleep and a couple of weeks for my big grin to even have the suggestion of slightly diminishing. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Pete Grant on 16 October 2006 at 12:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ole Dantoft

Post by Ole Dantoft »

Pete,
here's a full report : It was GREAT!! Image

It may well take me a week of winding-down before I'm back to my ole "normal" self, but the event was absolutely great as usual and they treat you like kings over there !

(There was no shortage on Guinness either Image )

Ole
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

Bruce Bouton wowed everyone with two great performances,
It was all there , feel,tone and the technique of a master player.
He played lap steel and Dobro for us also.
Thanks Bruce for a great show.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

I just made it back to Nashville a couple of hours ago. What a great time. I would say the Irish ar the friendliest, most hospitable people on the planet and they won't let your glass stay empty.I wish i could have stayed longer. I'll report a bit later when i've had time to catch up on my sleep.
Cheers
BB
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Once again, it was a great event - warm and friendly and with the usual huge Irish hospitality! This year was made the more enjoyable for me, because I was, after all, able to attend at the last minute ... and, I didn't have to play!

It was good to hook up with Bruce again: we reminisced about the fun we had touring in 1987, in the former Yugoslavia! Of course, he's playing better than ever, and I second all that Phil wrote about him in an earlier post.

I was unable to be there for the whole weekend, but all the players I heard excelled themselves, and it's difficult to pick out individuals. Having said that, I was proud of one of Jeff Newman's (and my own) former pupils, Mark Dunn, who playing at his first Festival, performed a well-chosen set superbly!

Thanks to Maurice, Richard, Ted and the committee for another wonderful Festival. Here's to 2007!

Gerry
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I sure wish I could have made this one. Guiness, good people and steel.....is there possibly a better scenario?
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i hear Lionel Wendling did quite well too Image

Image [/]
Mark Dunn

Post by Mark Dunn »

I too agree with Phil and Gerry, the Irish festival is an event that shouldn't be missed if you're a steel player. Thanks for your comments Gerry and thanks for the help and support during the last 14 years. I'd like to thank a few good friends such as Phil Campling, Carl Haylett and John Davis, who as my dad would say are 'good old boys' and have helped me on many occasions and I'd like to especially thank my wife for making our trip possible.

During the weekend I had a good old chat with Allan Thompson, Dave Seddon, John Fitzpatrick, Clive Swindell, Phil O'Neill, Pat, Ted Nesbitt, Morris Wilson, Darren Rooney and many others. My wife Donna and I enjoyed the conversations with these folks and look forward to meeting them again.

I have to admit I made a few boo-boo's during my set, the biggest one being I missed out two song. Sunrise Serenade and Last Date/Sleepwalk Medley were intended as backup songs. What I should have played was Little Darlin' and Don't Get Around Much Anymore. Must try harder.....

As Ted said in his posting on the BSS Forum nobody could be disappointed by the quality of players at this festival. I was especially impressed by Sarah Jory and Allan Thompson. Sarah's Abba medley was some special and demonstrated to everybody she is not only a great steel player but a talented arranger, nice one gal. Best song of the festival for me had to be Allan's
Dark Island, I've never heard this before and it completely knocked me over.

I'd like to thank Richard Nelson for playing acoustic during my set and Derek Thurlby for the numbers during the jam session. These are two of my favourite UK players and it's always a pleasure watching them perform.

Thanks once again Morris, Ted and Phil, for inviting us, this is one festival Donna and I will never forget.

All the best
Mark
Richard Nelson

Post by Richard Nelson »

Well done everyone performers and audience for another special w/e . It just seems to get better every year musically and crowd wise . Everyone has somthing to bring to the table. Richard
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Yes, indeed, Crowbear! Lionel's set was very special and wowed the audience. He was also very kind and didn't laugh too much when I spoke some French to him on the Sunday evening at the bar! "Je suis, Raquel! Je suis!" Image

Gerry