Which amp?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Clinton Damron

Which amp?

Post by Clinton Damron »

I have an Emmons that I just got today and a volume pedal on the way. What would be a good amp to have here at the house for practicing? I have a Fender Mustang I and a Fender Squire 15 for electric guitar and a Bheringer acoustic amp. These are all small amps and I plan to sell my Fender strat so I won't need the 2 fender amps. I'm not looking for something to gig with but I want a good sound for my practice. Any help advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Either of those will make a decent practice amp if you have simple reverb and don't try to show off for the neighbors.
Keenan Friday

Post by Keenan Friday »

Peavey Nashville 112 was the amp that I learned on.
The 112 is made for steel, is clean sounding and has plenty of headroom.

When starting out, I had a fender hot rod deluxe 40 watt tube amplifier. It was a good amplifier, however I noticed a substantial difference in tone when I switched to the 112.

I use my amp for small performances and any practice I do at home. It has a headphone jack, so you can learn without disturbing others.

I use the boss dd3 delay pedal and amp reverb.
Keenan Friday
Mullen Pre Royal D-10, Walker Stereo Steel, Hilton pedal, George L cables, Livesteel Strings, (White) Fred Kelly thumbpick, Dunlop .025 fingerpicks
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

You want something that sounds good with pedal steel, buy something that is made for pedal steel. The Peavey NV112 is fairly reasonably priced, reasonable size and weight, has 80 watts of clean power with good headroom for the dynamic range of the pedal steel and I think has a headphone input. You can find one here in the classifieds for $350 or under if you're patient.

Your guitar amps may work for quiet practice, but you will have to do quite a bit of tweaking from your guitar settings and it may or may not be satisfactory.

If you're serious about steel guitar, you're going to need a suitable amplifier sooner or later anyway. You can always get most of your money back from the NV112 if you decide you prefer a tube type or other model amp. JMO.

I see Keenan posted while I was scribbling. Apologies for the ditto. :lol:
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 19 Oct 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

GK MB200. $250.00. 200 watts. You can use it for practice or playing out.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

GK MB200. $250.00. 200 watts. You can use it for practice or playing out.
Not likely. It is only an amp head. He would still need a speaker cabinet which could easily run as much or more that the MB200. Then there is reverb or other effects he would have to buy.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

After reading so many good reviews (especially Mickey's) I just ordered one of the Roland Cube 80xl's from Musicians Friend. They had sent me a 10% off coupon with no shipping and it came in at about $330. As soon as I use it on a gig I will report. I played thru our rhythm guitar player's NV112 last night at an outdoor gig and really liked it. If I don't like the Cube I think I will get the NV112.
Clinton Damron

Post by Clinton Damron »

I looked at the Roland after reading what Mickey said about it. I have played my acoustic through a Roland ac60 and it's probably one of the best sounding amps I've plugged into. Roland makes a good product.

I decided to buys 112 from a fellow forum member. I'll give it a try to start.