Are You a Steel Guitar Fanatic ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Kay Das

Are You a Steel Guitar Fanatic ?

Post by Kay Das »

You've got to be, else you would not be reading this! So then, what do you like best doing? Answer to as many as you wish, in as much detail as you wish.

1. Learning?

2. Playing in a group?

3. Jamming (Kanikapila) ?

4. Teaching?

5. Recording?

6. Watching or Listening to Others?

7. Collecting Recordings?

8. Collecting Steel Guitars?

9. Making Steel Guitars or parts?

10. Other?
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Oh yes I am a fanatic...

1. Learning? I learn a lot from the forum, and I am always checkin out youtube for steel guitar stuff.

2. Playing in a group? I mostly play solo, but I play with the worship team at church, if that counts...

3. Jamming Yes I occasionally go to jam sessions, usually steel the show. (there are at least 100 guitar players for every lap steel player, so I get a lot of attention)
4. Teaching? yes I have had many students over the years, none right now.
5. Recording? Yes I get an occasional studio session (Paying gig) and I am always recording in my home studio.
6. Watching or Listening to Others? not too often
7. Collecting Recordings? nope I just have a few steel recordings that others have given me.
8. Collecting Steel Guitars? Yes I have too many, and I have even started selling the ones I don't play often.
9. Making Steel Guitars or parts? I have been making lapsteels for about 5 years, 6, 8, 10 and 12 strings (I have sold 15 of them and I have a few "Keepers" I also make and sell Nuts, Bridges and Fretboards for lapsteels
10. Other? I am experimenting with keyless tuners, brainstorming some 12 string tunings for my next steel project, and constantly practicing and playing steel. Recently dusted off the old Shobud LDG pedal steel, and I was surprised at how much I had improved, by playing lap steel so much. I was finding new string combinations, slants and alternating between using pedals and not using pedals, It was a blast! Dom :wink:
Frank James Pracher

Post by Frank James Pracher »

1) I love learning new stuff

2) I really tried to get something together this summer. I put up posters at all the local music shops and book stores and craigslist. I got nothing.

3)Sometimes but not as often as I would like.

4)Not there yet.

5)see # 4

6)Every chance I get.

7)I don't own too many but I listen to just about everything that gets posted here.

8)Yep. I love Magnatone/Dickerson style lap steels and they are relatively cheap.

9)I have made two in the past. But I prefer vintage instruments. I like the history, the look, and honestly if you use good parts, and materials its almost cheaper to look for a good deal on a vintage one. (assuming it doesn't have Fender or Rickenbacker on the headstock) I do enjoy building stompboxes and use them on my lap steels.

10) Slants are hard.
"Don't be mad honey, but I bought another one"
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Teaching
Recording
Gigging
Writing about it
Talking with others about it
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

No. I'm an every kind of guitar fanatic. :whoa:
Last edited by Jason Hull on 9 Oct 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I started out as a mediocre player and after many years have grown into a lousy player.....so I stopped playing....except for noodling around.....

I collected vintage steels for about 8 years but have put a moratorium on any further purchases unless I seriously sit down to play/learn.....again...

I now (only) commisson one of a kind steel guitars, mostly accoustic.....I work mostly with Carroll Benoit and have also worked with Mike D., National Resophonics, and Michael Dunn......while I appreciate vintage instruments.....I really truly love creating unique steel guitars......what a rush.....

I promote (with Jeff Strouse) The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Sessions in Dallas.....

What can I say?....I love steel guitars, the musicians who play them and the builders who build them......
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Lovin' it all!
If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On. -Shakespeare

fanatic??

Post by Billy Gilbert »

Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Great to read some of these responses, they give a rare insight and focus into what makes you tick as a steel guitar enthusiast, your drive. The forum will be the richer for it.

Keep 'em coming.... and no worries with adding more detail or comment if you wish to. Just one rule for this thread: let's keep away from religion and politics. Pure steel.

Kay
Rick Winfield

deleted

Post by Rick Winfield »

double post
ooops
Last edited by Rick Winfield on 9 Oct 2011 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Winfield

endless possibilities of steel guitar

Post by Rick Winfield »

non stop !
in my head, on paper, behind the instruments, always jamming, & thinking/trying out new approaches, tunings, styles.
Rick
Eric Ebner

Post by Eric Ebner »

1. Learning? I mostly play what I create.

2. Playing in a group? Not since college.

3. Jamming? With close friends.

4. Teaching? Yes! I've sent a few on their way.

5. Recording? Never.

6. Watching or Listening to Others? Always.

7. Collecting Recordings? I'm a total music consumer.

8. Collecting Steel Guitars? Are you kidding!? Absolutely!!!

9. Making Steel Guitars or parts? See my signature...

10. Other? I play slide guitar and Spanish guitar as well. Music has always been a big part of my life.
William Parsons

Post by William Parsons »

1. Learning? I am always learning. Hope I never stop while I'm on this side of the turf.

2. Playing in a group? I play steel as often as I can, although I am a guitar player most of the time. I would rather play the steel.

3. Jamming (Kanikapila) ? I don't jam much. but I play in two bands....

4. Teaching? I don't know enough to teach, but always refer questions about the steel to this forum.

5. Recording? As much as I can. Best way to learn is tgo listen to your shortcomings.

6. Watching or Listening to Others? Always enjoy watching other steelers....and stealing their riffs...

7. Collecting Recordings? Nope. Too much stuff to do.

8. Collecting Steel Guitars? I am in to building my own. Working on number six or so at this time.

9. Making Steel Guitars or parts? See above. :)

10. Other? Like to hang with a cigar box guitar group, but I play a washtub bass with them.
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Nice responses...Keep them coming, folks... those fanatics amongst you!!! Here is your chance to share your thoughts and achievements with others... and learn about others...

Will keep this thread open for another few weeks and then try to summarize...

Kay
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

1. Learning? Always...this site is great for that. Also study the playing of others...David Lindley, Jerry Douglas, any player that I can find.

2. Playing in a group? Yes...my working band and duo.

3. Jamming (Kanikapila) ? I host a Thursday Blues Jam every week for local players.

4. Teaching? I have taught lessons on lap steel.

5. Recording? Played lap steel on several other projects, and just finished a CD of original tunes with my band.

6. Watching or Listening to Others? Always....

7. Collecting Recordings? Yes.

8. Collecting Steel Guitars? Yes.

9. Making Steel Guitars or parts?Cant do this....

10. Other?