k&k pure mini preamp for weissenborn

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Christiaan van der Vyver

k&k pure mini preamp for weissenborn

Post by Christiaan van der Vyver »

hi there, i recently had a k&k pure mini installed in my tony francis style 1 weissenborn, i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the k&k pure xlr preamp, or have found any other preamp particuarly good with this pickup?
thanks
chris
Andy Fekete

Post by Andy Fekete »

I use a K&K Pure preamp with the K&K Pure Mini I installed in my Collings OM2HC. It made a noticable difference in the sound. The sound went from "good" to "outstanding". Definitely worth it. Mine isn't the XLR model, but I'm sure the internal electronics are the same.
Christiaan van der Vyver

k&k with effects + preamp signal chain sequence

Post by Christiaan van der Vyver »

thanks for your reply!,
another question i had which i'm getting conflicting info about online.
i have a k&k pure mini pickup and would like to get a k&k xlr preamp for it. what id like to know is where to put the effects pedals in my chain in relation to the preamp? before or after?
effects would be ernie ball volume pedal (with boss tu-2 in tuner out output) ---> electro harmonix freeze ---> boomerang III phrase looper ---> PA.
thanks
chris
Andy Fekete

Post by Andy Fekete »

I don't use any effects, but I would think they should go between the K&K XLR preamp output and the amplifier input. That then would be the same as if you were using an active pickup. I would think that putting the effects between the pickup and the preamp would reduce the pickup output, thus increasing the signal noise. Bottom line, I'd say try it both ways and see which gives you the best results.

Good luck.

Andy Fekete