Dobro 60D Uncle Josh Model USA ex. cond. $880 in. ship.

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Carl Green

Dobro 60D Uncle Josh Model USA ex. cond. $880 in. ship.

Post by Carl Green »

This is a Dobro model 60D the Hound Dog Uncle Josh model made by Dobro USA pre-Gibson in ex. condition. This Dobro is made of all Maple wood with a rosewood frettboard and a square neck. The Dobro just has 2 small nicks on the edge of the bottom of the neck and the tuners on the bass string side has been upgraded with heavier metal tuners for better sustain. The Dobro has that great funky Bluegrass tone that has been popularized by Uncle Josh Graves. Jerry Douglas, Mike Auldridge and countless other Bluegrass players. I am selling the Dobro 60D Guitar with the TKL hard shell case for $880.
Last edited by Carl Green on 11 Nov 2011 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phil Sikes

Post by Phil Sikes »

Are you open to any offers?

Thanks - Phil
Beard Jerry Douglas Signature, RBA B Bender Tele, Larrivee OM60, Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele, Kala U-Bass, Fishman Loudbox Mini and Nechville Saturn banjos.
Carl Green

Post by Carl Green »

What do you have to offer?
Phil Sikes

Post by Phil Sikes »

Carl, thanks for the reply. I can only offer $850 cash for now. I just sold one of mt banjos and have that much to play with.

Thanks - Phil
Beard Jerry Douglas Signature, RBA B Bender Tele, Larrivee OM60, Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele, Kala U-Bass, Fishman Loudbox Mini and Nechville Saturn banjos.
Carl Green

Post by Carl Green »

Hi Phil,
Thank you for the offer. I have just placed the Dobro for sale on the forum 5 days ago. This is an original Dobro made Dobro which I feel $950 is a fair price for the Dobro. I have seen other Dobro's of this Quality go for the same price or more. If you can pay me $900 with a US Postal Money order I will include the Shipping and Insurance which should be about $40-$50 for the shipping.
Thank you,
Carl Green
707-538-3133
Phil Sikes

Post by Phil Sikes »

Carl, I appreciate the counter offer but I have decided to go with a new Wechter-Scheerhorn for the same price. Good luck with your sale of a fine instrument.

Phil
Carl Green

Dobro 60D Uncle Josh Model USA Pre Gibson Ex. Cond. $880

Post by Carl Green »

I have decided to lower the price of the Dobro to $880 including shipping in the US. I want to keep this USA made Dobro in the US where it belongs. I also have the Melobar 8 String Steel guitar for sale for $750 including shipping. I just paid my final Hospital bill this week for the Brain Tumor I had removed on April 15, 2011 on Tax day. I will never forget that day, it will always be memorable. The nice thing is that my memory is better than ever.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Last edited by Carl Green on 11 Nov 2011 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lee Cecil

Post by Lee Cecil »

Carl, what is the serial number on this guitar?

Thanks,
Lee
Carl Green

Dobro 60D Uncle Josh Hound Dog model

Post by Carl Green »

Hi Lee,
I just checked the serial number on the Dobro and I believe it is a 1994 model. I just checked a website that has the Dobro serial numbers and this is a Dobro OMI model made in 1994. The serial number is:
W11 XXX 94D which on the website said the last 2 digits are the year it was made and the D on the end means wood. Let me know what you think it is?
Thank you,
Carl Green
Lee Cecil

Post by Lee Cecil »

Carl,

I'm certainly no expert, but my information is apparently from the same source as yours, and therefore I'd say it was a '94.

Thanks,
Lee
Carl Green

Dobro 60D Uncle Josh model 1994 Ex. Cond.

Post by Carl Green »

Thank you Lee,
I would have not checked the serial number until you asked. I guess it is official that the Dobro is a OMI brand and was made in 1994.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

So it's NOT Pre-Gibson, Gibson having bought OMI the year before.
That said, the age determines little more than collectability. The only factor worth considering is TONE.
But I'm a goofball who buys guitars to play them with no thought to resale; that will fall to my executor. (I buy cars the same way, I assume I'll sell it to a Junkyard)
It should be a fine guitar
Last edited by Lane Gray on 2 Oct 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Blake

Post by Chuck Blake »

Carl your guitar might not be a pre-Gibson, but they are great guitars none the less. And.....I think it's UNDER priced. I own an F60 Post-Gibson and it has tone that blows away some of the old Regals and Dobro originals.

I wish I could loosen up some cash and I'd be all over this (just bought a GFI psg and another Stelling banjo).

Good luck and stay firm on your price if your situation allows. When I bought my F60 the D60 Graves guitar was about $2,700.

Chuck
Carl Green

Dobro 60D Uncle Josh model OMI 1994 $900

Post by Carl Green »

Thank you Chuck for the reply. I am going to stay firm on the price and I am thinking of taking the Dobro off the forum and hang on to the Dobro. I was at the Hardly Stricty Bluegrass Festival at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco yesterday. I heard great music by Ricky Skaggs, Allison Brown, Hugh Laurie, Earl Scruggs, Meryl Haggard and Kris Kristoferson. I heard a few fine Dobro players yesterday and got to hear Norm Hamlet play the Dobro the whole hour with Meryl and Kris Kristopherson. I am more motivated to play the Dobro now. I have another Dobro OMI that I bought brand new back in the mid 80's. This Dobro that I have for sale on the forum was made in 1994 and has a great sound. Maybe someone could convince me to sell it for $880 including shipping in the US before I change my mind. There is nothing like hearing great musicians playing live music to motive you to play and do better.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Last edited by Carl Green on 11 Nov 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Green

Post by Carl Green »

I just lowered the price of the Melobar 8 string to $750 including shipping in the US.Here is a picture of me happy with my Sho-Bud Pro 1 and looking forward to getting my 2 knee levers from James Morehead in Oklahoma. Tomorrow I will be celebrating exactly 6 months since I had a large Brain Tumor removed from my skull on tax day April 15. I had the picture taken 5 days ago and this is how I look. Tonight I will be playing my Sho-Bud steel that I got from Bobbe Seymour 30 years ago along with my Brother at a local County Bar in Penngrove called the "Twin Oaks Tavern". I'm sure that Bobby Lee is familiar with.
Thank you,
Carl Green
707-538-3133
Last edited by Carl Green on 11 Nov 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

pretty sho-bud carl. i've played the twin oaks many times also. make sure you get all your drink tokes!
Carl Green

Post by Carl Green »

Thank you Chris, we had a great time last night at the Twin Oaks Tavern. I want to show you the neck off of an old Sho-Bud double neck that Bobbe Seymour gave me 30 years ago in Nashville that I play most of the time like last night at the Twin Oaks. My brother and I play as a duo most of the time and sometimes play as a 4 piece band. The Sho-Bud neck works out well for easy fast setup, portability and great sound. I love it, but I am looking forward to my knee levers for my Pro 1. I love the sound of the Sho-Bud Pedal Steel and want to start using it again.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Gregg McKenna

Post by Gregg McKenna »

Beautiful guitar. Was Gibson still using OMI employees in the early days until they moved their Dobro operations?
Carl Green

Dobro Uncle Josh 60D 1994 year $900 w. Shipping

Post by Carl Green »

Hi Gregg,
I do not know if OMI had the same employees back in 1994 or if they used Gibson employees. But I can tell you that the Quality of the Building of the Dobro in 1994 is as top notch as the other Dobro that I have that was made in 1989. The Dobro made in 1994 has a different shade of Brown sunburst finish than the 1989 and is actually nicer looking than the 1989. The difference between the 2 Dobros is the 1994 has a nice glossy finish on the neck and peghead just like the top and back of the body. The 1989 has a more duller brown finish on the neck and peghead. Other than that both Dobros have the same Quality of manufacturing and tone woods. I like your 7,8, and 10 string models of Dobros that I checked out on your website.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

What I have read is that there were a number of veteran OMI employees still there building guitars around 1994 along with some rookies. I think the total move to Nashville wasn't completed until 1997. A fellow named Mike Replogle was put in charge of the SoCal operation by Gibson. Perhaps Gregg, being a reso luthier knows Mike - he has provided cones, spiders, etc. to the industry after leaving Gibson at some point. I believe Replogle cones were in the Wechter/Scheerhorn guitars for some time when they hit the market several years ago and have been replaced in the past couple years by Scheerhorn cones.

I also recall reading at some point that Gibson changed to the finish on the guitars from Nitrocellulose to Catalyzed lacquer.
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 18 Oct 2011 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
Gregg McKenna

Re: Dobro Uncle Josh 60D 1994 year $900 w. Shipping

Post by Gregg McKenna »

Carl Green wrote:Hi Gregg,
I do not know if OMI had the same employees back in 1994 or if they used Gibson employees. But I can tell you that the Quality of the Building of the Dobro in 1994 is as top notch as the other Dobro that I have that was made in 1989. The Dobro made in 1994 has a different shade of Brown sunburst finish than the 1989 and is actually nicer looking than the 1989. The difference between the 2 Dobros is the 1994 has a nice glossy finish on the neck and peghead just like the top and back of the body. The 1989 has a more duller brown finish on the neck and peghead. Other than that both Dobros have the same Quality of manufacturing and tone woods. I like your 7,8, and 10 string models of Dobros that I checked out on your website.
Thank you,
Carl Green
I had a Dobro just like yours about the same year 94/95. It was a nice guitar with a beautiful tone. Same beautiful finish too.:D

Some of the Dobros had satin finishes on the necks which was a bit more durable and didn't show the fingerprints as much as the high gloss finishes tend to do.

Thank you for the compliments on the site.
Carl Green

Dobro 60D Uncle Josh model Ex. Cond. $880 in. ship.

Post by Carl Green »

I have lowered the price to $880 including shipping in the US. I am doing fine and am still pickin' and a grinin'. I had my MRI on Tuesday and I feel great.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Dave Rodgers

Post by Dave Rodgers »

Hello I'm new to this forum and have only just noticed this thread. Is the Dobro still for sale or did you finally decide to keep it ?.

I have been looking to upgrade from my Wechter Scheerhorn and would certainly be interested if this guitar was still for sale.

Would you be happy to ship tho the UK ?

Dave Rodgers
Carl Green

Dobro 60D

Post by Carl Green »

Hi Dave, I no longer have this steel guitar and I was not able to sell it on the Forum. I have not closed this posting and thought it would just fade into the sunset. I am sorry to leave it hanging and I will check into closing this in the next few days.
Thank you,
Carl Green
Dave Rodgers

Post by Dave Rodgers »

Thank you for your quick response Carl. I'm sorry to have missed that one.

I'll just have to keep looking !!.

Dave Rodgers