Sessions Versus Nashville

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Norman

Sessions Versus Nashville

Post by Paul Norman »

What is the difference in a Peavey Sessions 400 Limited.
and a
Nashville 1000. ?
In Sound and weight.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The main difference between the Session 400 (not Sessions) and the other Peavey steel amps is the EQ system.

The Session 500, Nashville 400, Nashville 1000, and Nashville 112 have the Peavey "Parametric Mid" control. The Session 400's do not have the Parametric EQ system.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

Thanks Jack.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the 'session 400 limited' is a different animal than the 'session 400', 'ltd 400' and 'nash400'...
i had to play through a couple at some concerts and didn't care for them in comparison.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

I agrree with Chris. When the 400 limited first came out, I had to try them. Bought two and played both on several gigs, BUT they never had the sound. Sold them and bought two Nashville 400's and tried them for a while, but I did not like their reverb (too harsh compared to the smooth Session 500). So I went back to two 500's for a 3 year local opry gig where I used both spreadout on stage - I could leave them there.

Now I play out occasionally and use the Nash. 1000 with Fox upgrade, or my old Session 500.

Thanx,
Jim
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

I love my Session 400, but I didn't like the Session 400 Limited, either. Completely different tone and response than my Session 400, which is a great amp. I'm not sure what the Limited's niche was supposed to be. Anyone know? Were they less expensive? Did Peavey market them as a steel amp?

The NV1000 is a great steel amp IMO. I don't know the exact weight of a NV1000 or a Session 400 Limited, but they are both fairly heavy amps, roughly the same in weight. But the sound is where they are very different.

Jim - I have a NV400, and while I love the amp, it's reverb is not my favorite. Problem solved easy enough; I just turn it off and use a Boss RV-5. I hear Ken Fox's Intensive Mod makes it as smooth as silk. Two Session 500s? Wow! I'll bet that sounded killer!
Johnny Thomasson
Adam Sorber

Post by Adam Sorber »

I have 2 session 400 limited's and 2 session 500's. I can dial in almost the same exact sound between the two amps however the session 500 is louder before activating the limiter circuit. The key to a good tone with the session 400 limited is a combination between the "high" and "Presence" knobs.
Adam Sorber
Sho Bud PROII custom D-10
Sho Bud PROII custom SD-10
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Rick Plunk

Session 400 Limited

Post by Rick Plunk »

Like most everyone else, I also thought the Peavey Session 400 Limited was a complete disaster, for pedal steel, until today! I just got it back from Louisiana, where Murnel B. did an upgrade on this baby. Guys, this is the best sounding amp I've plugged in to! Murnel said ther are 7 amps inside and he installed burr brown chips from Texas Instruments and did something to the E.Q. and now it honks! I've been playing through a Nashville 1000 but this baby has got it beat for sure. Murnell has experimented and knows what chips to use and just what to tweak. The sustain on this amp is what I've been looking for. Not bragging but it really fits with my new Rittenberry S10!