8 string lap for less than say...350?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brian Hunter

8 string lap for less than say...350?

Post by Brian Hunter »

Any ideas? Other than that one that the pickup doesn't cover all the strings.
Brian
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Unless you luck into a used instrument, there are no eight string guitars in that price range. The Morrell 8 string lap steels are the least expensive ones I know of, and they suffer from the pickup issue you describe. The next cheapest would be the Gold Tone LS-8, which is a very nice lap steel, but around $550 USD.
There's a Teisco 8 string lap steel on eBay which might be a good choice.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

What I figured as far as a new one. That Teisco looks sweet!
Last edited by Brian Hunter on 27 Sep 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Steve Lipsey

Here it is....

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Bob Allen is the master of the lap steel that should cost double, but doesn't: Search for Melbert on the forum and you will be swamped by praise for him....

http://www.musonmt.com/5.html

and then click on his "Discounted Items" for one of these at $100 off! - right in your ballpark! I got a discounted one a while ago, and it is just him trying to clear out his shop, no difference between that and the regular ones....
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Well, that might be the ticket. I don't know bout any of those pickups though so I'll do some reading after work. Thank you!
Brian
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Those pickups are the ones everyone wants....some single coil, some humbucker.....call Bob and he will be happy to explain the difference and help you choose. Or just post it here, say what kind of music you play, what kind of sound you are going for, and I'm sure people will chime in...

One very general guideline I've sort of figured out (IMHO, YMMV) is that the classic style is a single coil pickup into a tube amp (all they had back then), more modern sound is humbucker into a solid-state amp....
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

I like what I am reading about the Jerry Wallace pup.
Brian
Thomas Temple

Melbert

Post by Thomas Temple »

Brian, I just received my Melbert Pro 6 todfay and as previously mentioned can not heap enough praise on Bob Allen. He helped me pick the right pickup for the sound that I told him I wanted, came up with the right stain for the co0lor that I desired and I did did a discount by picking a pre-cut curly maple body. The only draw back is that he does such a good job that he has a lot of business and mione took 9 weeks to complete, but all good things are worth the wait.
Tom
Brian Hunter

Re: Melbert

Post by Brian Hunter »

Thomas Temple wrote:Brian, I just received my Melbert Pro 6 todfay and as previously mentioned can not heap enough praise on Bob Allen. He helped me pick the right pickup for the sound that I told him I wanted, came up with the right stain for the co0lor that I desired and I did did a discount by picking a pre-cut curly maple body. The only draw back is that he does such a good job that he has a lot of business and mione took 9 weeks to complete, but all good things are worth the wait.
Tom
Funny thing is, after I got home from work and re-read the thread, I called Bob. Mine is in the works and will take 10 weeks. And I am only paying a little bit more than what I had originally wanted to pay. Ten weeks is nothing to wait on what is going to be a great instrument.
Brian
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Congrats, you'll love it!
Tom Mnich

just one thing more...

Post by Tom Mnich »

Glad you found what you were looking for.

FYI for those interested - I replaced the stock lipstick pkup in my Morrell 8 string (LRW model) with an 8 string stringmaster replacement pkup from Lollar. It drops right in to the existing hole and the bolt holes line up and everything. A simple replacement.
Thomas Temple

Congrats

Post by Thomas Temple »

Brian,
There is no doubt in my mind that you will be extremely pleased with your new Melbert. I know that I could not be happier and as will most things you do indeed get what you pay for. Good luck and keep us posted.
Tom
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Thomas -
I disagree....as many have said, with a Melbert, you DON'T get what you pay for, you get TWICE what you paid for....(yes, I'm a fan, both of the Melbert and of Bob Allen)
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Thanks all. I am going with the Ambrosia Maple.
Brian
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

checked out the melberts...cant say that i like the string angles at the headstock over the nut to the gear post. prefer less severe angles.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Brian
Here is my Ambrosia Maple that I received a few months ago...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

I am sure you will like your choice of wood!
David Eastwood

Post by David Eastwood »

Brian Hunter wrote:Thanks all. I am going with the Ambrosia Maple.
I'm sure you'll be delighted with it - I'm very happy with mine!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=197029