How to go about meeting musicians to play with ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Meyer

How to go about meeting musicians to play with ?

Post by Gary Meyer »

So how do musicians usually go about meeting-connecting with other musicians-bands ?
In the older days we would put a posting up on the music store bulletin board.
'hoping this will be an interesting and useful posting,Thanks.
John Phinney

Post by John Phinney »

Go to shows and network, music store/rehearsal studio bulletin boards, local independent/weekly events paper classified ads, and the craigslist musicians section.
GFI Ultra D-10 8x5/Sarno Freeloader/Telonics volume pedal/Fender Super Six Split Cab with a 1x15 BW
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Yes, network with people at shows and festivals, if you are into acoustic music at all go to Bluegrass Society jam circles and Bluegrass Festivals, any other kind of jam circles that might exist, strike up acquaintances at music stores.....anything that allows you to strike up casual relationships with musicians. Some bars have regular jams, sometimes there are open stages.....you might not feel ready to play at one but you can go there and hang with the people. Sometimes taking lessons from someone who is part of the local scene will give you an entree. Sometimes it is just luck - but a lot of the time we make our own luck too by being in enough places at enough times that one of them will turn out to be the right place at the right time.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Gary: Bring your steel to the Western Swing monthly meetings in Rancho Cordova. There is a jam room where you could set up and play. I do this occasionally. Of course, the four day Hall of Fame event is this weekend. The jam room will be going pretty much the whole time. Paul
Bob Mc Donald

Post by Bob Mc Donald »

Call them.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

If all else fails check out your local blues jams and bide your time, sussing out who can play what, meeting folks and being met yourself. Often there are "blues" musicians just waiting for any excuse at all to sing a country song or three and you just might be it. I've gotten several great gig invitations from just such unlikely scenarios....
Bob Grado

Post by Bob Grado »

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have business cards available to hand out.
Tim Heidner

Post by Tim Heidner »

Bandmix.com might work in your area, it's pretty slow in these parts.

http://www.bandmix.com/search/results/
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

jamsessions
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'd agree with all the suggestions so far. Craigslist has been a very good source for me. The real trick is getting out of the house and going somewhere where other musicians hang out, be it a coffee house, bar, church, or jam session.
Steel guitar is a sought after instrument, in my opinion. Most people love to hear it, even if you're not that good at it (and you'll get better by playing more)!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Jam nights are fun at certain bars around here
The problem is they start at 9 or 10 pm and go till 12 or 1am during the week, its tough the next day if youve got a full time job,
They should have a gong at these things or a particular type of music played so they literally dont chase out paying customers or other fairly legible musicians , there seems to be some problems with jam night, although a great place to meet likeable people, if you can find them
Youll know right away, but definitly give it a try.
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

One time years ago, I wasn't playing steady with anyone. I stopped at a club, where a band was playing. No one was singing any harmony. On one song,I got up, leaned into the mic, on the chorus, and It turned into a 20 year gig. You never know.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Ted Solesky

Jams

Post by Ted Solesky »

I was lucky in Pa., Wally's music store in Pa. has a jam every month. I gave me a chance to try new stuff and chat with friends but the pickin scene was slow at that time in 1995.

I ended up with a husband & wife band and we did a bit of travel. Like to Canada, Minn., and Florida. It was fun!
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

In the late 1949 and early 1950 area, there was no one to help a wantabe steel guitar player. It was a new field, and everyone was solitious about their tuning, and players would actually detune their guitars before they left the bandstand and it was a cut-throat scene, a real "live or die" situation.

Thanks for the blessings of today when steel guitar players can access so many venues to help them to learn to play.

Many of those early players had to learn from listening to the radio, and by guessing about what key the artists were playping in.

My dad ws the song leader in our little country church and found his key by tapping his tuning fork on the back of his songbook. He didn't sing very good, but he was always in the right key.

Everything is relevant isn't it?

Gene