Mullen Steel Clicking Noise on A Pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy Gibbons

Mullen Steel Clicking Noise on A Pedal

Post by Tommy Gibbons »

When I engage the A pedal on my Mullen SD-10, I get a click noise. It seems to be coming from the bell crank where the pedal rod inserts.

Is this common? Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it?

Thanks in advance,

TommyG in NW Tennessee
Mullen SD-10 RP, Evans SE-200, Line 6 POD XT, Peterson Flip Tuner, Geo. L Cable, Hilton Pedal, and D2F Covers for all.
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Perhaps the ball end of a broken string lodged in the changer?
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Tommy....You might check to see if any play exists in the pedal rod. In other words, when the pedal is in the raised position, is there any slack in the changer end of the rod. If so, what you are hearing may be the hook end of the pedal rod sliding into position before engaging the cross rod. Note: If you have a LKV that lowers the B's, does the noise exist when the lever is engaged?
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

If Davids suggestion of checking the pedal rod slack doesnt solve it, try loosening the nylon tuning nuts on the C pedal and see if it still clicks. The A and C pedals both raise string 5, and if you have a vertical lever lowering 5 check that as well. It could be pull rods binding somewhere. If you can operate the pedal while looking at the undercarriage carefully, you may be able to physically see where the click is coming from.

Clete
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

It may be that there are "exposed" threads on the changer end of the pull rod between the nylon tuning nut and the changer finger that are catching on the edge of the hole in the changer finger and hanging up for a split second as the pedal is pushed.
JE:-)>
Emmons D10PP 8/4 -75'
Emmons S-10PP 3/4 - 79'
Emmons S-12PP 3/4 -78'
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

Very same thing happened to me on my Rains D-10. Same pedal as well. Sponge underneath split where it will fit between the horizontal bars underneath (i.e., provide material in between the bars where they can't physically touch each other). Kind of hard to explain without actually showing you, but I think you'll get the idea. Cured my "clicking" problem when engaging the A pedal.
Rains D-10 by Gary Carpenter
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Check that your pedal rack is secured and screwed in all the way to the legs.
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

Kevin, let me assure you, I checked ALL screws etc. Couldn't find any cause.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

After you learn your guitar you will find that after the click you have gone too far for the 1/2 pedal
lick :lol: Don't let it click if you want a 1/2 pedal lick ! :roll: :lol:
Bill
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

Cute, Bill :)
Ray Thomas

Click

Post by Ray Thomas »

I had the same problem,(Not the same brand) it might not apply on yours, On mine, I tightened the return spring some and it fixed it.
Audie Shields

Post by Audie Shields »

:) i had the same problem on a different guitar. the click came from where the pedal rod attached to the pedal.It took some time to isolate the noise because it sounds like it comes from underneath the guitar.
Ralph Donahue

Mullen steel clicking noise on a pedal

Post by Ralph Donahue »

Sounds like your changer is sticking ,try oiling it ...Ralph
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Place your finger on the rod or rods being engaged with the A pedal. If one or more rods jumps, (pop's) when you hear the click. Then you've found the offending rod.

It could be catching on exposed thread.AS mentioned. Bent out of shape near the changer. Causing the tuning nut to make contact at an angle.Then pull flush against the changer.( A lot of this going around.) Or you may indeed have a sticky changer finger.

As mentioned. Often time's pedal clicks come from the pedal rod end. It can become dry and or have a bur that will cause a click.

bb