A long shot but hoping for info on this Deluxe 6

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Robey

A long shot but hoping for info on this Deluxe 6

Post by David Robey »

I have this Deluxe 6 coming. The seller (a non player) knows nothing about it's history. It obviously has seen it's share of
playing time. Because of that I'm assuming a previous owner was an accomplished steel performer and hoping they might
be a member on this forum. The Serial #(?) is 918. I know serial #'s don't mean much but a previous owner might recognize it.

I bought this as a present for my son and I think it would be nice to have a little backstory to go with it if possible.

It should be in my hands on Tuesday and will be taken apart that night to discover all the usual tell-tale markings.

Here's hoping.

Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Here's hoping the Jerry Byrd course and video on steel guitar comes with it.
http://scottysmusic.com/byrd.htm

Good luck on the info search, and I appreciate your desire to import provenance and history along with his leasrning.
Please keep us posted on his interest and progress, and maybe introduce him to us one day.
Hugh Holstein

Post by Hugh Holstein »

This is the same model that David Gilmore currently plays.
David Robey

Post by David Robey »

Ron - Thanks. As far as getting on the forum, I've tried to impress upon him the knowledge he can gain from others but it's not his thing. Not that he is arrogant and thinks he knows it all but he doesn't even get on Facebook that much. Reality is, at 19 with school, working at a music store, practicing with a band and of course girls, there's not much time left.

Hugh - That's exactly why I chose this model. He's a big Gilmour fan.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

If he's discovered girls... then forget it until he's your age, or more, and settled down. The steel is not a part time endeavour.
Hugh Holstein

Post by Hugh Holstein »

I was thinking the very same thing! :lol:
David Robey

Post by David Robey »

Actually I was the one with girl priority syndrome when I was his age. With him the girls come second to the music. Given a choice of band practice or date, band practice will take it every time.

Still...When that special someone comes along everything could change.
David Robey

Post by David Robey »

Well, I found a little info. This guitar sold in June through Heritage Auctions. Guess I will contact them and see if they have any info they can release.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

When I was in school I didn't do girls, or homework, because I couldn't keep my hands off of my guitar! But, I'm weird like that. :\
Doug Freeman

Post by Doug Freeman »

Good luck with Heritage Auctions; they'll barely release any information even when they're trying to sell a guitar. I'd been admiring that Deluxe 6 locally on Craigslist and also saw it on Etsy. Regardless of provenance, you got a good deal.
David Robey

Post by David Robey »

Doug, I figured that about Heritage. I emailed them and got the auto reply. Funny how there's no problem with them sending out auction notices. Of course I know those are automatic.

Guess I hit the Etsy auction at the right time. It was the "Deal of the day". $75 cheaper than the Craigslist listing. Funny thing is I had never heard of Etsy until that day.

Thanks for the confirmation of the good deal.