So pardon me if I don’t play the “Steel Guitar Rag” perfect

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bo Legg

So pardon me if I don’t play the “Steel Guitar Rag” perfect

Post by Bo Legg »

I was sitting there on my steel guitar seat at band practice and I looked around at the rest of the band sitting there like an auto with the gear in “Park” and it struck me that their minds were probably as blank as a computer monitor with the power off?
Well I know these folks and they have great hidden potential to do something worthwhile but we are wasting a couple of hours in an endeavor that would have to be rated pretty low on the scale of things necessary for existence.
I personally have trouble concentrating on whether I should use an Em7 instead of A9 and practice so the Band can be as good or better the Joe Blowhard’s Band when folks in my community are suffering and lives are falling apart all around me in these hard times.
So pardon me if I don’t play the “Steel Guitar Rag” perfect.
Sherman Willden

Post by Sherman Willden »

Bo. There's a perfect way to play Steel Guitar Rag? I thought I could do whatever I wanted within the confines of the chord structure and if playing by myself I could make up the chord structure.
Sherman L. Willden
It is easy to play the steel guitar. Playing so that the audience finds it pleasing is the difficult act.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Steel Guitar Rag. Musical kitsch. :\
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

You don't play it perfect, but do you play it perfectly ? :lol: :\
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

Well Bo, you possibly need to consider some things. What color is your guitar, is it black? If it is then you may need to work on some things. If it is not, then that could be your problem. :lol:
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

what are you trying to say, bo? or are we just taking up space again?
Joe Naylor

I played that when I was 8

Post by Joe Naylor »

I had the good fortune (now looking back) playing 2 songs for Leon McAuliffe.

I it was my 8th birthday and he was a judge at what they called then the International Steel Guitar Contests. It was at the University of Tulsa. For my 8th birthday I got a double neck Rickenbacher. I had been playing a 6 string Oahu lap steel. The Rickenbacker was a double 8 - but at 8 years ole that did not bother me i just ignored those two bottom strings.

Any way I played Pan Handle Rag and Steel Guitar Rag that day - Leon never said but I ma sure it was not HIS version - I have tried to play at least one of those when I have played on a steel show - I usually relay at least part of that same story.

Had I been old enough to know I would have be nervious but at 8 I did not even know who the judges were - I knew who Leon was because my Mom and Dad loved him but I did not look out in the crowd (except to see Mom) - Dad had to carry out the double neck because it weighed 8 more pounds than I did - and the legs were down to where a man would sit behind it and I stood up.

Memories - but Steel Guitar Rags is one of those song that was intended to be made your own - that is almost a quote of what Leon told me when I was 22 (and Oh by the way he remembered me) - to my surprise - not me but more than likely some kid that did not know better than to play those 2 songs at a contest where he was the judge.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

So how'd your hair look Bo?
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Thats a great story Joe,Thanks.Bo I didn't know there was a perfect way to play the rag.Never really heard it played the same way twice. heheh
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Playing the Steel Guitar Rag perfectly is about the same as having a steel guitar with perfect tone.

:\ :\ :\ :\ :roll:
Larry Freeman

Post by Larry Freeman »

I was working with Bobby White one time in his club and EVERY NIGHT some drunk would want him to play Steel Guitar Rag. He would always tell them, "I already played it where were you?" One night this drunk asks "Can you play Steel Guitar Rag?" Bobby says "YEAH, but why would I want to!" Bobby could play some of the wildest swing and jazz of anyone. Sure miss his style and his wit.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Bo, These type of guys are out there so beware.

I had a guy tell me once... "You're wearing the wrong hat. Don't you know that you were supposed to change to a dark cowboy hat a couple of weeks ago?"

I rehearsed with a band that took over an hour to get to rehearsal. Every rehearsal, the first song we went over was "Tulsa Time." We spent at least an hour perfecting that before we moved on. Finally I said, "We're wasting too much time going over this easy song."

I think it may be time to "Grab the bull by the tail and face the situation squarely" (W.C. Fields)

Tell these guy that they are being petty and in your professional opinion, more important rehearsal tactics are needed.

Then get a black guitar and always comb your hair perfect. :lol:
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

"So pardon me if I don’t play the “Steel Guitar Rag” ------------------At All!!! :lol: :lol:

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Fred Shannon wrote:"So pardon me if I don’t play the “Steel Guitar Rag” ------------------At All!!! :lol: :lol:

phred
My feelings exactly. I never want to play that song again.I don't even want to hear anybody else play it. (Except for Bill Stafford. If you've heard his version on his "Some of my Favorites" recording you'll know why I say that.)
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Jezz you can't get philosophical and mention the "Steel Guitar Rag" at the same time.
My topic is comparing music practicing to fiddling while Rome is burning as in fiddling away and ignoring that the sht has hit the fan all around us and folks are hurting.
What I'm trying to say is if we in the band would be as concerned and spend the same amount of time on community cares, things would get better.
So we practice less and miss a few chords here and there. It's not like most of us are doing it for a living.
I think the folks will love us more in the long run.
Of course if you are playing steel for a living then all your practice time would be a necessary part of your job.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Bo How's this for Philosophical?
Like you ever practice and they have to drag you screaming and kicking to band rehearsal late or you don't show at all. But I will give you credit for the helping hand willingly you give in the community.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

If you have a really loud amp, point it at the guy that wants to rehearse "Steel Guitar Drag" the most. It just may deter the extended nitpicking of the song.

Most important, never forget the standard excuse... "Sorry, those are the union rules"
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

bo, since you're not doing it for a living, how about spending the time getting rid of the gangs in the neighborhood instead.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Chris I don’t think the Forum is the place to discuss the details of how I would spend the time I've shaved off my practice but rather the pros and cons of taking that time away from the steel guitar for family or some other worthwhile endeavor.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

When someone asks me for Steel Guitar Rag, I just throw my wash cloth in their face.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Ian Finlay

Post by Ian Finlay »

Bo, what I think you're saying is that we should spend less time rehearsing and more time in the "community" as it's more worthwhile.

I'd respectfully disagree. In a recession, when things are darkest, people need entertainment. You'll notice the movie theaters are still busy, TV shows are still made, and (at least here) people still come to gigs. I think as musicians we owe the paying public the best we can do. Also, we are people too - we need our "down time", for me anyway that's playing with my bandmate friends, mucking about with my car, fixing the house, playing with the kids and so on.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

What is perfection anyway? What is normal? What is abnormal?

My version of the Steel Guitar Rag could best be classified as Perfectly Abnormal.

Now off to my class in abnormal psychology....

Today's lesson, "The differences between deviates and deviants".
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

If it's a competition as to who can play Steel Guitar Rag worst, there's really very little competition. Until you hear my version you'll never know. :lol:
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I'm a musician and an entertainer. Playing standards makes a communication with the audience. I'm not above playing anything on the steel guitar, the instrument is bigger than me and I want to turn people onto it.

Having said that the median age for barfolk is 25 so Steel Guitar Rag is ancient history and anything played well on the steel guitar would appeal.