Newer Volume Pedal Static - Pot already?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Murray

Newer Volume Pedal Static - Pot already?

Post by Michael Murray »

I bought the Goodrich pedal new only about 6 months ago. I'm hearing static when pedal is pressed. Is it the pot, or maybe something else?

Thanks,
michael
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Try working it back and forth 20 or so times. Usually clears it up unless the pot has gone bad.
Bob
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

probably the pot - thats the only thing in there!

I would make sure you work it out a few times and see if you can work surface oxidation off. You can always spray the pot with Caig Deoxit, but the noise will come back.

I use goodrich pedals and just deal with the little noises - as long as its not audible when you are playing, you should be ok. If it is, you may need to take action be it cleaning the pot or replacing it.

If you play a lot, you'll wear through pots at a rate of about 1 per year. Thats been my experience anyway.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

One of the prime reasons I stopped using a Pot type volume pedal. The pots that are available (even the supposed long life models) can develop problems relatively fast.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tommy Boswell

Post by Tommy Boswell »

I replaced the pots in 2 Goodrich pedals with the Tom Bradshaw Dunlop pot. You can read about it here: http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/potentiometers.php

And Tom is great to do business with. When I ordered the 2nd pot, he mailed it out same day before receiving my check, simply because I was a repeat customer!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I would suggest ordering a Dunlop pot from Tom Bradshaw. I'm not aware of any failures yet, and he's been offering those pots for a long time.
Clark Doughty

Goodrich Pedal

Post by Clark Doughty »

I had the same thing happen. I called Ollie and he said it was covered under warranty but he wanted me to send him the old one first so I would be without my pedal for 2/3 weeks or maybe longer so I am now using a new Hilton lowboy pedal and wah la no noise. I did take the cover off the other pot and sprayed it and it's was OK after that.................clark
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i can't remember, but i 'may' have replaced one pot in my goodrich 10k pedal in 15 years or so.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I have an NOS Allen Bradley pot in one pedal that just won't die. I just ordered a few of the new PEC pots that are supposed to last like the old ones. I'll put one in my other pedal tonight and see how it goes.
Bob
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Tommy Boswell wrote:I replaced the pots in 2 Goodrich pedals with the Tom Bradshaw Dunlop pot. You can read about it here: http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/potentiometers.php

And Tom is great to do business with. When I ordered the 2nd pot, he mailed it out same day before receiving my check, simply because I was a repeat customer!
I agree with Tommy, and Lee.
I bought a new Goodrich pedal in 07', and it was scratchy, and 'poppy' straight out of the box.
Within a few months, I put two more pots in it before somebody on the Forum turned me on to the Dunlop pots from Tom Bradshaw. It's been great ever since.
(*note to Tommy B.) Tom Bradshaw is the standard by which I measure superb customer service, and the model, by which, I try to treat my own clientele. I started ordering products from Tom over 25 years ago. Even though he didn't know me from Rip Van Winkle, Tom would always send my order that day, or the next, and I would always receive it before my check arrived at his mailbox.

Michael, if you decide to try the Dunlop, look up Greg Cutshaw. He has an excellent,(free) online tute on installing a Dunlop pot. Tom's diagram might be a little confusing.

DH
Bessdang Gizmos - "An Equal Opportunity Annoyer"