Conversation with Jeremy Wakefield & transcription

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

Conversation with Jeremy Wakefield & transcription

Post by Mike Neer »

I have just published part 1 of my conversation with Jeremy Wakefield who, if you hang around these parts, you know needs no introduction. But in the event you don't know, well, let's just say he's one of the baddest non-pedal steel players in the world, and that's not hyperbole.

We talked about a lot of things and Jeremy was very open and candid. He keeps a really low profile and I was really excited when he agreed to talk with me.

I will publish part 2 some time next week and it will include discussions on gear, caviar, and will even have some pages with funny lines and dots and numbers (a transcription of one of JW's tunes).

Conversation with Jeremy Wakefield
Last edited by Mike Neer on 20 Apr 2017 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

Great! Mike,as always. Your interviews are just what those of us that have read the cover off Andy Volk's book need. Thanks and keep them coming.
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Thanks, Mark. It was a pleasure to talk to Sir Jeremy of Wakefield.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Thanks, Mike! What Mark said! This is great stuff.
Bruce Terrell

Post by Bruce Terrell »

Really enjoyed the interview. The Biller and Wakefield cd is an inspiration for me. Just curious, does he ever visit the Steel Guitar Forum?
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

As of July 19, 2009 Jeremy was a member of the Forum.
I posted that He and the Lucky Stars were going to be at the Los Angeles Farmer's Market. He replied and thanked me. I urged him to post some of the Gigs he would be playing at. Myself and my friend Chance Wilson went out to see Jermey at the FM and had a great evening enjoying his playing.
Matthew Dawson

Post by Matthew Dawson »

Thanks for doing this one Mike. JW is tops! Can't wait to read part 2.
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Swinging interview! Jeremy always brings it. And it reminded me that I needed to get the "Hot Guitars of Biller & Wakefield." Much obliged, Mike.
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

Thanks so much , Mike for this. Jeremy is such a phenomenal player. Very creative and experienced.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Have read this a couple of times now. Great job! Love Jeremy's playing, and both of your insights here are really interesting. It's like being able to listen in on a couple of steel players talking shop.

Also looking forward to part two . . .
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

Thanks Mike! Steel Guitar Caviar is one of my favorite steel guitar albums. Great stuff!
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Wow,Mike...great interview, great clips, great scholarship.

Thanks for your excellent devotion, work and music.
wt golden

Post by wt golden »

Great interview Mike - thanks a lot!

I have one question maybe you can clear up. When he is talking about playing with the resonator gig with Janet Klein and her Parlor Boys - he had mentioned playing an A tuning. Then you talk to him about three other tunings all 8 string and none in A. Do you know the (I imagine 6 string) A tuning he was talking about?

Thanks again
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

That would just be high bass A (E C# A E C# A).
Steve Ahola

Skinny strings on the bottom...

Post by Steve Ahola »

Tunings with high notes for the bottom string(s) came up in this interview. There can be problems using the smaller strings on a nut cut for a heavier string. I had read here about a trick to deal with that: you remove a short bit of the winding from a wound string and slide that onto the plain string right where it passes over the nut (and bridge, too, if there is a problem with that as well). I haven't tried that trick yet but was wondering if anyone here has any comments about it.

Thanks

Steve Ahola
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Thanks for your interest in the articles and the nice words. It was great talking with Jeremy and picking his brain. He is a remarkable player and a great guy.

I have now included a transcription of his tune, Mudslide. Hope you enjoy it.