Newer Steels

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christopher Wray

Newer Steels

Post by Christopher Wray »

I have an SD-10 EMCI that I'm in love with, but I played a GFI the other day and was blown away by how easy it was to play. Do all the newer steels play that way? Do Zum's and Mullen's play that well? I've also wanted a JCH for a while and was wondering if they had the same thing going on.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

If you are anywhere in Southern California, you should go to Jim Palenscar's shop in Oceanside and check out all the different steels there, and Blackie Taylor's shop in Riverside. Blackie is a GFI dealer. If you want a GFI, talk to him.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

My EMCI is way easy enough for me, but still I was astounded at how light the pedal action was on Frank Carter's Infinity last Jan. in Phoenix. This can be a real plus for guys who load a lot of changes on one pedal. But some prefer a bit more resistance. Some guys like their pedals to snap back quickly, or like to rest their foot lightly on them without depressing them inadvertently. With that in mind Frank has adjustable pedal return springs. Quite an instrument. Plus it has a lot of p/p quality in the tone.
Christopher Wray

Post by Christopher Wray »

Thanks for the reply's. I bought my EMCI from Jim and if I lived closer to Oceanside I'd be in there bothering him everyday. I'm extremely happy with my EMCI. It plays well and sounds incredible. I just noticed a pretty big difference in feel between my guitar and that GFI's. You have to "work" my guitar a little more which isn't a bad thing. I just wondered if all the newer steels were that effortless to play.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I have a MCI Range Expander - welded frame, same as the EMCI. I played everything I could get my hands, feet, and knees on at this year's Dallas show, including GFI. The MCI is more comfortable to me than GFIs were. I didn't really find a steel that played significantly "better" than mine. I surely didn't find one that sustains like the MCI. I did fall seriously in like with Justice guitars, though. I'd trade my Range Expander for one of those.
Last edited by Jim Cooley on 15 Sep 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I played Sho Bud, Marlin, Emmons and Mullen . Sold my first Mullen and tried Carter, MSA, Franklin, GFI, and another Sho Bud and Derby. I picked the Mullen HWP over them all. Sure, lots played as easy but none played easy and sounded as good as a Mullen. The first Mullen I owned was a pre RP.That is the same as the HWP.
Never played a EMCI but they have great tone. Just check Billy Coopers web and take a listen.
I might add, The Franklin played a little smoother than the Mullen but the tone was not there.
Just an opinion ! Don't murder me because of it !!! LOL :\
Bill
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I've owned two JCH guitars. I don't know what year the SD 10 was, but it had helper springs and played very easy. As a matter of fact the A pedal was too easy. I worked with it, but it was always too easy. If your foot rested on it at all, it was activating the pulls. The D 10 was around a 84 model and it played pretty stiff. It did't have helper springs. It was such a solid, good sounding guitar that you could overlook the stiffness.
Zums play pretty doggone smooth and easy. Mullins are very easy. I've not tryed a GFI.
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

I guess it all boils down to what one would consider a steel being " Easy to Play" ....There are some steels that folks like because the pedal and lever action is very easy on the feet and legs ....While others, like myself need a little more tension to feel more comfortable .... Some like a slower return , some like a faster return on pedals and levers .....So many factors that make each steel and each player different .....Try , then buy !!....There's a steel out there for everyone !!....Jim
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Chris, have you made sure that the EMCI is in top shape? Cleaned, lubed?

You like the guitar so much that I would get it into peak condition--then make a decision about another one.

[Of course some of us "need" more than one guitar . . . . ]

Chris
Christopher Woitach

Post by Christopher Woitach »

Have any of you tried a new MSA? Smooth pedal action, incredible tone, pedals you can adjust while sitting at the guitar... Incredible guitars
Christopher Woitach
cw@affmusic.com
www.affmusic.com
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

PROBLEM: My Zums all came with uber-light pedal action which caused ankle fatigue. I could not rest my feet on the pedals without engaging them and being out of tune. So, I would have to constantly use my ankle extensor muscles to keep my foot perched above (but not touching) the pedals

SOLUTION: I eventually removed or slackened most of the pull helper springs, and now the pedal action is perfect.
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

I just received my new GFI from Palenscar's shop in Oceanside.
He's also a GFI dealer. Jim is great and so was working with GFI.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

That EMCI came from Jim Palenscar, so you can rely on it being in excellent condition. You can experiment with where the rods are attached to the bellcranks and which holes they're going through on the changer and possibly lighten the action, at the expense of slightly longer pedal/knee lever travel.