Anti Virus - Any Recommendations?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Ron Silva

Post by Ron Silva »

I decided not to renew my Norton anti virus.
I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Computer worked as normal.
Install AVG Free for anti virus, the computer would not work. Uninstalled AVG Free, the computer works fine.
What anti virus will work along with Malwarebytes, and allow my computer to function?
This is an old 2004 Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. Intel Pentium M 1400 MHz. 2.00 GB Ram 1.40 GHz. I am running XP 2002 SP3. I use IE8 for the browser and a broad band connection.
Also ready to order a new PC with Windows 7 and need the same advice before ordering. I plan on continuing to use the old Dell with Band in a Box, and the new computer for the internet.
Thanks for the help - Ron
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The free and very popular Microsoft Security Essentials is recommended by many computer techies including many Security "experts".

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security ... fault.aspx
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I have been running Trend Micro for a few years. I have to turn off Trend to run Malware Bytes. Long and well documented feud between Trend and Malware. Last year I had a disabling virus that Malware and Trend didn't even detect and SpyBot removed it pronto. The lastest Consumer reports have rated Trend very low. It used to be very effective and included cloud level protection. Trend no longer submits it's program for independent evaluation and I fear they are not that good any more.

Next week I am switching to ESET which has great ratings but is not cheap.

I have a lot of clients that can't afford anti-virus and they are all setup with Microsoft Security Essentials.

None of these programs even comes close to catching all the bugs!

Greg
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

The threatscape has become much worse in the past year. Malware authors (Russians) hire Russian contractors to rewrite existing codes, to evade detection long enough to do as much damage as possible. The average useful lifespan of any signature is between 12 and 24 hours. It used to be 24 to 48 hours, just a year ago.

What this means is that people who turn their computers off until they are ready to surf the Interwebs, and who have anti-virus software that only updates once a day, at a fixed time (different than the turn on time), are at risk of becoming infected, despite their security programs.

Nowadays, you need an anti "malware" program, not just anti-virus, which uses cloud definitions. Despite what Greg said in his earlier response, Trend Micro DOES still use the Cloud for instant updates and to share information about hostile destinations. It is tied into the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network. It does work, and fast. I can't load a malware, or forgery site into any browser, because the Trend Web Protection component identifies it as hostile instantly.

I am both a pleased Trend Micro customer and an affiliate. In the past I have used Microsoft Security Essentials and found it reasonable, but only updated daily. Maybe the newest version updates more often. In the past I have used AVG, Avast, Norton and McAfee anti virus programs. I am reading very good reports about the 2012 version of Symantec Internet Security.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Ron Silva

Post by Ron Silva »

Jack, Greg, Georg, & Wiz.
Thank you for the advice.
I will sort through the info and make a decision.
Ron
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Here's a CNET review of ESET:

http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Ant ... 85608.html

You can try it FREE for 30 days!

And to be balanced, a CNET review of Trend Micro:

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-Ti ... 50557.html

Greg
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

I use Avast, and I've not had any problems I'm aware of. It updates 2 times or more a day.