Volume Pedal Problem

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Thomas Bohlen

Volume Pedal Problem

Post by Thomas Bohlen »

I purchased a goodrich 120 a few months ago, haven't played in a while and now sitting down at the steel again I find that my volume pedal is making a very unattractive sound. When I play it makes an odd white noise sound here and there, much like the sound of a quarter inch being plugged into an amp that is already on. Its not constant and occurs when I strike notes.

I've check the cables and amp, everything seems fine.

Anyone else have this problem with a volume pedal? and know what I may do to fix it?

many thanks.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

On occasion, when a pot pedal is unused for a period of time and remains in one position, a flat spot may develop in the potentiometer that causes a "raspy" sound when the pedal is engaged. This may or may not remedy itself over time and with somewhat steady use.
Clark Doughty

Volume pedal problem

Post by Clark Doughty »

Mine did the same thing and it was only 9 months old. I took the pot out, took the back cover off and sprayed it with contact cleaner and wah la it was good to go. This was after I contacted Goodrich for a replacement pot and he wanted me to send hime the old pot before he would send me a new one but I didn't want to be without my pedal for however long it took me to get the old pot. Not good manfacturer relations in my book. I'm switching to Hilton......clark
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Replace the pot if it continues to cause a problem Tom.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

You could try a Dunlop HotPotz which uses a conductive plastic track instead of carbon. Tom Bradshaw sells these. Goodrich also sells an upgraded pot but I'm not sure if it's conductive plastic or not. My original Allen Bradley pot lasted over 10 years of 2 gigs a week plus practice. So far my Dunlop pot has been flawless in over 3 years of use.

Check it out here:

Goodrich 120 Volume Pedal Pot Replacement

Greg
Thomas Bohlen

Post by Thomas Bohlen »

Thanks very much guys. It's still making that raspy sound when the pedal is pushed up or down. I'm gonna take a look under the hood.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement pot in NYC? I have a gig next sunday and don't have time to order one via mail.

thank you!
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

You can borrow my pedal (Goodrich 120) as long as you're willing to pick it up in lower Manhattan and return it to me there when you're done. Email me for details.

In the meantime, buy yourself a pot from Tom Bradshaw. I recently changed mine.
http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/potentiometers.php