ERIC WEST'S FUNERAL Sept 10th, 2011

Post by Tony Glassman »

Eric's funeral service will be held on:

SAT SEPT 10th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Community of Faith Church
21065 SW Stafford Rd.
Tualatin, OR 97062

http://tinyurl.com/map-to-service

[........Also, a mandolin playing buddy of mine, just found this very apropos SGF contribution made by Eric back in 2005..............]

posted 06 May 2005 04:09 PM

Considering the amount of "us" that have made the transition lately, It might be a good chance to do so.
( No fair writing anyone's but your's please..)

Eric J Lundgren of Portland died_____ at ______ of a________ ______ ________.

He was a local musician that went by the name of Eric West, which he took from a now deceased mentor, Don West.

He played as a sole means of support, such as it was from '79 til '86, with a corresponding hole in his SSGLI contributions. Mostly in local bands that sometimes travelled, from Tenino to Tonopah, from Gervais to Vegas. Some were damned good, some he just took the money..

Playing music from his earliest years on seemed to be the common thread of his small but special life, for better or worse. It always seeming to be a reason for taking "non career" jobs, mostly construction, that allowed his schedule to include it. This excluded any jobs with retirements, union representation, or shift work, though he took many that had schedules that conflicted.

While in the USAF in 75-9, he was able to take pedal steel lessons from a kindly fellow that played for a famous travelling group of troubadors.

After taking an exit to his four year military tour and coming back to Portland, he started playing steel for any band that he could, and was never successfully discouraged, played with more than a hundred bands, and thirty or more at the local truck stop. In his years of working steady construction jobs, he often worked more full week/month music jobs than he did when he did it for a living. This probably made him older than he looked, and/or actually was. Kind of like "dog years"..

In the later years starting in 2002, he found a Pedal Steel Guitar Forum, and was able to meet, trade stories with, gain instruction, and sometimes torment the more stuffy of his community. Some of his best friends, he met there, he claimed. His interaction on the forum took him on his "Motel Six" pilgramage to Nashville, where he met Lloyd Green, Lynn Owsley, Tommy White, Russ Hicks, Bobby Knight, Mr Sweeney, et al, picked up his Marrs Retrofit, and kissed Bobbe Seymour's balding head.

Overall, he went happily through life like s#it through a goose, whistling in any graveyard he could (In Equal Temperament), tormenting the cruel, and helping the helpless as he found time to. In the midst of violent surroundings, he always strived to be a very gentle soul. Sometimes it was easier than others.

People that thought he liked them, were often those he liked the least. People that didn't think he liked them were sometimes the ones he thought the most of. He garnered and treasured low class insults from some pretty important people, returning them in the form of time-release put downs when possible. He never told anybody he loved them unless he meant it. He told many people that.

His family and friends, he always considered the greatest source of his wealth, and his pets, his connection to his humanity.

His goal in life was to become a Humorous Campfire Story, and not a Tragic Figure, as many musicians seem to become.

He died leaving _____ to ______ and was survived by ______, his______-time _____.

Cremation was held_____the ashes scattered in Sugar Creek, in the Paulina District of the Ochoco Nat Forest, on a sunny day, to eventually float to the ocean or be tracked and strewn elsewhere by varmints or critters.

Now he is hopefully able to travel out into the cosmos with the music he played, and spend time perusing the best of it, skipping the worst of it, on his way to Glory in God's own time, ultimately reedeemed by his Son. Possibly after taking a few years as we know them to commune with the pets he liked so much..

(Subject to future edition if done in time..)

EJL
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

To the top.......
Joshua Grange

Post by Joshua Grange »

Thank you for posting this Tony. That is absolutely incredible. To hear someones voice from the great beyond.... It's always a struggle to cope with someones death, even the little that I knew of Eric save for here on the forum. Reading his own words certainly helps a great deal.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

upwards...
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Thank you Tony, that is a precious find, how completely like Eric to provide this in advance for us, as none of us could have said it so well :)

I have to work on the 10th so will trust my brethren and sistren to send him off proper, which I have no doubt whatsoever that you will all do.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

What a shock. Very sorry to hear about Eric's passing.
Last edited by Drew Howard on 5 Sep 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Goodbla

Post by Pat Goodbla »

That is OUR Eric. Thanks Tony.
Patrick Goodbla

Pre-RP Mullen D-10 10/10
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Eric was an interesting guy. He was always nice to me--it must have meant that he didn't like me. I liked him, though.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

......refresh
Neil Rogerson

Post by Neil Rogerson »

Eric was indeed very intelligent and had an oppinion on everything....I really enjoyed talking to him. I worked at Freightliner at the time and because I was involved in trucks and he was driving for gravel haulers we had some great conversations about the lack of integrity some of his employers possessed. I had kind of lost traqck of him until he was diagnosed with cancer....then we had some great conversations about Jesus Christ and where Eric was going to spend eternity........a great talent, very intelligent and intense as any young man could be....we will miss you Eric!!
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

TTT for a friend
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Last Call.....
Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

A nice time remembering a friend. What made it special for me was watching Eric's Mother's face. I was sitting next to buddy Doug Jones, and had a good view...Audrey was smiling from ear to ear. She was obviously thrilled that so many of Eric's friends showed up. And she is at peace. :)
Mike
------------------
Blue Moon Highway
(Country Music...and then some.)
www.bluemoonhighway.com
www.myspace.com/bluemoonhighway

ZB Custom S-10 (#0509)
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

It was a very well attended and lovely service including a c.16 person choir for one hymn. Aside from family, I think there were about 12 steelers and many area musicians. I'm guessing 100+ folks! Eric touched the lives of many and in many ways. His family seems at peace.
Eric West

The Celebration of Eric's Life

Post by Eric West »

You've got to know that I was so amazed and my heart was warmed more than I could believe it could...as I met and saw the presence of so many of you who loved Eric. My special thanks to you Tony and Harley and Doug for wanting to share your experienses and love of my son. He would have been blown away because it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) the feeling was mutual. He talked to me a lot about you all...yes, he had looonnnnggg conversations on the phone with me too :) What I wouldn't give for just one more of those. Did you know that before the service when just a few of us were in the sanctuary, Cathy spied a tiny little vole (mouse) running around under the chairs! We corned "him" and unfortunately he didn't get away. My son Mark smashed him! So much for visiting us, Eric. You know his love for animals and I think he had to put a little twist in the proceedings...what do you think? :D May you all find God's blessing in the days to come. I'll be in touch and Cathy and I were so blessed by your company on the 10th.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

....Bye, Eric.