Bill Frisell (and Gregg Leisz) play Lennon - video 15min

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Eric Ebner

Bill Frisell (and Gregg Leisz) play Lennon - video 15min

Post by Eric Ebner »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Log5fKfz8H4

Kevin Brown took me to the Continental Club while these 2 guys were in Austin. Absolutely phenomenal show. Greg Leisz has got to be one of my favorite steel players. Enjoy;-)
Last edited by Eric Ebner on 2 Sep 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I've seen this--it's really great. Frisell never ceases to amaze me. He is one of my all time favorites. You guys must have had a blast. That band is unreal: Wolleson and Scherr and Jenny Scheinman--his NY band.

And it's always great to see a Fry Pan put to such good use! Greg is a big inspiration.

There's something that Bill says in the video, "I'm not trying to jazz it up or put my stamp on it...everything is just there." Jim Keltner said that when he first played with John the songs already told him what to play--he didn't even have to think about it.
Eric Ebner

Post by Eric Ebner »

Mike... we were front row a few feet from the stage;-) I had a cold beer in my hand. It was simply fantastic!
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I also like the fact that they choose to play songs from his solo records. Great soundig band!
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Wonderful musical textures and attitude. Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed that!
Chris Renna

Frisell covering Lennon

Post by Chris Renna »

Thanks so much for this link. Looking forward to the album. I bought the download from his site of the UK concert he mentions last year and it has some amazing moments, but I think the addition of the drums and the amazing Tony Scherr (who is a siiiick guitar player as well) will really set things off!
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Thanks...absolutely beautiful and inspiring.

Tribotone!
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

I've known Greg for over 30 years and he's had that frying pan since I first met him. The funny thing is he looks just the same as he did when we were kids!
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Yow! Thanks Eric, that was great.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Eric,
Thanks for the link. Beautiful music. In that shot of Greg playing his Williams he is using one of your bars and one of my pickups. Small world !
Bob
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Eric:

Thanks for the link. Cool to see the Tribotone bar in action with my favorite players on the planet!! What an amazing band and album...can't wait.

p.s. I was at that Continental show. Most xlnt (actually EVERY Continental Show with Bill is xlnt!!)

p.p.s. Bob...look forward to hearing a lot of that pickup when the album drops. Lee Townsend is a good friend...and always produces albums of sonic beauty and complexity, with deep and glorious space in the mix. This one promises to be extra special.
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Wahaay what a night, great band, great place, great people, yep we hit the jackpot there Eric, new weiss CD in post to you today !
Donald Rooke

Post by Donald Rooke »

The guitar Frisell is playing in the first song and near the end is by Joseph Yanuziello - no stranger to non-pedal steel guitar making himself.
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Donald Rooke wrote:The guitar Frisell is playing in the first song and near the end is by Joseph Yanuziello - no stranger to non-pedal steel guitar making himself.
Indeed. Joe Y. is a brilliant luthier. Love his tonal palette.
Eric Ebner

Post by Eric Ebner »

Kevin Brown wrote:Wahaay what a night, great band, great place, great people, yep we hit the jackpot there Eric, new weiss CD in post to you today !
Hell of a show Kevin! Thanks for taking me;-) Looking forward to your new release!!! Come on back to Texas next year... you've always got a room at the ranch.

Bob Hoffnar: I've got some of your equipment at the house. Give me a call and let's get together.

Geoff Cline: Thanks for coming to the ranch! Still working on the recordings. It's coming along great :)

Eric
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

What is the guitar Frisell is playing - the natural finish w/trapeze tailpiece? I can't catch a look at the headstock.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Would help if I actually paid attention to what I was reading in the previous replies. Thanks for humoring me, Brad. That guitar looks great.
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Spent 2.5 hours driving today and listening to an advance of this CD. 2 words -- GET IT. Greg Leisz's playing of pedal steel and lap slide is SO tasty...and, of course, the entire ensemble is brilliant, musical, conversational. Great arrangements and mix (killer in the car). A must have, imho. It will be in heavy rotation for a long while