My New Carbon Fiber Wrapped Carter

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Chris, on the pedal rack is there going to be a problem with the wrap wearing at the point where legs join rack? I have Millenium with coloured rack, and never having been a fan of this, and finding that it would be to expensive to get a chrome replacement from MSA,decided to use chrome effect "fablon" type material on it.It looks good but do have to replace every so often as it wears where legs join rack.Do love the new look of your guitar.Did badges come off or did he work round them?
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson »

Hey Fellas,

I played the steel at church today and it sounded great at usual. Not the slightest change of tone that I could hear (and I was listening).

David W: I was torn between the two. I'm typically conservative with the look of my intruments and I did like the look without the name but.... When the big name got on there, some mojo was injected in and I liked it way more after. I carefully selected the font as I didn't want the name to look cheesy, cheap or way over the top. Plus it's a great way of advertising at gigs. That's what I told myself anyway.

Malcolm M: The pedal rack hasn't been a problem. It's just as easy to put on as it was prior to wrapping. I just pulled off the Carter logo (as it has an adhesive back) and put it back on when the job was complete.

I'll be glad to answer any more questions

C. Johnson
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

I think a big name on the front of the guitar is a very prudent thing to do. Just think of every time you break down at the end of the gig and accidently take someone else's carbon fiber wrapped Carter with 5 pedals and start putting in in your case, only to realize half way through - it's not yours. This way, there's no confusion and you save yourself a lot of embarassment. I think that's why my mom used to mark my clothes with my name when I went off to kindergarden.
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson »

Igor,

I don't quite understand your post. I'm not sure if your intentions are pure or whether you're being sardonic.

Your post can go either way.
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

Chris, I really didn't mean anything by that, except that seeing a big name got me thinking about different things people put their names on, like tools and clothes etc. Usually to prevent mix ups with identical items belonging to others. Of course the idea of multiple carbon wrapped 5 pedal Carters being in the same place is so absurd, it cracked me up. I thought others might get a chuckle out it as well. My odd sense of humor, I guess.
I do, btw, think that all those old bigsbys and wright customs, bearing their owners name were pretty cool. It was a neat trend in the time when people took a lot of pride in everything the wore, played and drove.
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Steven Black

Guitar wrap

Post by Steven Black »

I definately want my MSA guitar Wrapped, Steve B.
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

players name on guitars went out right after Pearl Harbor
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

I love the look. I wonder what could be done on a D10. Very cool idea.
Dale Lee

Did it reduce your cabinet drop?

Post by Dale Lee »

Chris,

Looks aside, Carbon fiber is supposed to be very stiff. I wonder if this modification might have reduced the amount of cabinet drop in your steel. Can you tell any difference?
Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson »

Thanks for the input fellas,

Igor: Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure how to respond by not understanding your humor. Humor is one of the things that doesn't translate too well in cyberspace without audible or visual assistance. I loved the names on the old bigbys. It was tasteful and especially holds value if the person name happens to be a steel guitar pioneer.

Dale: The wrap is not stiff at all. It's made to curve around the body of a automobile so it's pretty flexible prior to the attachment. It is also durable. No cabinet drop change that I could tell. The Carter didn't really have much drop to start with. If any cabinet drop, I'm sure the amount of was negligible.

I'll be happy to answer anymore questions.
Tim Heidner

Post by Tim Heidner »

kyle reid wrote:players name on guitars went out right after Pearl Harbor
I guess Robert Randolph didn't get the memo.

Gary Reed

Carbon Fiber on Wood?

Post by Gary Reed »

Can Carbon Fiber be applied to a wood guitar as this one?

Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

A few people seem a bit confused about this - this is NOT carbon fiber, it is vinyl printed to look like carbon fiber - it is cosmetic only, so it does not change cabinet drop, stiffness, etc. But I think this is a brilliant idea for old, worn-out mica, or the fake wood mica that I never liked. Snakeskin? That would be cool! Shiny fake chrome? Flame patterns? Hot!

It does not have the longevity of laminate, but it is a lot easier to install. Lots of do-it-yourself info on youtube. Pedal Steels are easy - all flat surfaces.

Steve T - skip the carbon. Get them to print a Chinese dragon vinyl for the front of your guitar!

Doug
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

I'm not interested in getting my Carter S-10 5x5 wraped, but I noticed you tune yours universal (like I do) My zero position pedal is a Franklin change, and the others are, left to right, ABC4 . Some of my PSG buddies aren't particularly fond of this arangement, but I love it! -Jake-
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'm fascinated with how well the stuff adheres. especially right up to the edges of the trim and endplates, etc. it must take some exacting measurement or fitting technique. i'd like to see it being done and i'm impressed that the price is so reasonable.
is the wrap really ultra thin feeling before being applied? any heat used?
Alex Cattaneo

Post by Alex Cattaneo »

John Widgren had a guitar for sale with that finish a while ago, I think it was an Emmons. Great stuff, I like that look.