psg and lap steel on same gig

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Gilliam

psg and lap steel on same gig

Post by Jim Gilliam »

Hey Guys,

Another question from the pest... I am starting to play my (E9) Stage One PSG on gigs more and finding that I miss the sound of my (C6) non-console lap steel. I'd like to use both on gigs, but can't seem to find a way to make it work physically. I don't like it on my lap, having to pick it up and put it down. I'd even like to play both on the same tune if I can work it out. Anybody had any experience with or have any idea with such a thing? I know, I know... that's why they invented double necks. :?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim
Jeremy Craft

Post by Jeremy Craft »

When I played both lap and PSG at the same gigs, I just held the lap steel on my lap. So I can understand why you don't want to do that. Maybe try a keyboard or similar stand set up just in front of your PSG (front is toward the audience). I know a guy who does just that for playing a Multi-Kord and PSG at the same gig, and it worked for him.
John Turbeville

Post by John Turbeville »

I hold my 6 string or mandolin on my lap, and I have a footswitch that I built to go between the PSG and ther one. Its pretty seamless.
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

It's not uncommon. Rusty Young used to hold his dobro on his lap while sitting behind the PSG.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

When I was gigging, I would set my pedal and non pedal (3 neck stringmaster) at right angles to each other, always at the far left of the stage, so I could switch from one to the other. When I played the pedal steel guitar, I would face the audience. When I played the stringmaster, I would face the other band members.

Of course, the stringmaster had legs. If you're talking about a lap steel, the obvious solution is to build some sort devise that would attach the lap steel to the legs of the pedal steel, essentially turning it into a double neck.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

You could rest your lap steel on the top of the pedalsteel when you play it. I have done that before. I just put a towel down over the pedalsteel and then lay the lap steel on top. Or I scoot back a bit from my pedalsteel and play the lap steel on my lap. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Bob
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

Hi Jim. This has been covered before so do a search. Also, look at this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SALFInwr6s

It's Kenny Kitching and he has a lap steel made to attach to his twin neck 'Perina Pedal Steel'. The lap steel is switchable. The pedal steel was made by Peter Williams of Toowoomba ( I love mine) and the lap steel was made by Noel Anstaed who makes the 'Anapeg' pedal steel. I am going to make a 8 stringer to 'clip' to the back of my pedal for just the same thing.
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

Thanks a lot for some great suggestions! Right now I am doing what Jeremy suggested. I have put my lap steel on a keyboard stand in front of my PSG. It looks kind of cluttered and funky, but works.

I tried putting it at a right angle, but have a hard time (old man back) turning to play it. I also want to be able to go back and forth during the same tune, which that won't allow. That is also the reason I would rather not put my lap steel on top of my PSG, although that is the easiest way to deal with it (I think).

I really like Jeff's idea. I had thought of removing the screws on the "body side" (is that front or back on a PSG?) and bolting a couple of pieces of angle aluminum stock for a rack to put it on. I even thought about drilling holes in my legs up next to the body and mounting aluminum stock there.

Jeff, how are you intending to mount yours?

I can't begin to express how much I appreciate all you guys' help and advice. I'll say it again. What a group!

Jim
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

Why do you need the lap steel when you can basically get the same thing on the PSG without using the pedals? String spacing maybe? I get lap steel sounds all the time on my C6 and sometimes the E9.
Carter D12, MSA S12, 12 String Custom Made Non-Pedal, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

Robbie,

I don't have a double neck so I have to work with an E9 only. I know some of the sounds are the same, but it just doesn't play or sound the same as my C6 lap steel.

Jim
Robbie Daniels

Post by Robbie Daniels »

Jim
Not even in B6?
Robbie
Carter D12, MSA S12, 12 String Custom Made Non-Pedal, Evans FET 500LV, Evans SE200, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Steel King
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Jim,
Go into the Drum Department at GC, or Scam Ash. Drummers use all sorts of clamps and doodads. The last time I was in GC, they had a lot of used parts for sale, cheap. You should be able to easily find some things you can use to clamp onto the pedal steels legs, front or back. My drummer made me the most delightful clamp-onto-a-mic-stand holder for my bottleneck slide.
Jim Gilliam

Post by Jim Gilliam »

John! Great idea! I'll do just that.

Thanks,

Jim
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

Hi Jim, I was thinking about these but I would struggle coming to terms with drilling into the apron of my steel.

I decided to fabricate some leg fittings to create 2 flats to velcro on the lappy.
Just at the planning stage.
Robbie, its something to do with the feel, the scale length, the pickup, and the open tuning variables. I know this probably say's more about my pedal steel inability/inexperience but I am comfortable with that :D