Billy Grammer dies at 85

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Don Lampley

Billy Grammer dies at 85

Post by Don Lampley »

Another great guitar player passes away were loosing all the greats.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

He was a good singer, too. 8)
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sad to hear this. I'll have to get my Grammer Guitar out.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

I met Billy the 1st time in Va 1964 he was just beginnig to make a name for him self as a guitar maker, but he was already a great musician an good singer. We will miss him. Jerry
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

ALWAYS LIKED TO HEAR BILLY SING "BLUE WATER" WHEN HE WAS ON THE OP'RY. I WORKED A SHOW WITH BILLY BACK IN THE SEVENTIES, AND A NICER FELLOW YOU COULDN'T ASK FOR. I CHUCKLE WHEN I REMEMBER THE STORY OF BILLY, GRANDPA JONES, AND MEL TILLIS RIDING IN THE SAME CAR TO A SHOW. THEY CAME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD AND WASN'T SURE WHICH ONE TO TAKE. GRANDPA SAID, "EEE, WELL, GRAMMER CAIN'T SEE, TILLIS CAIN'T TALK, AND I CAIN'T HEAR, SO IT'S GONNA TAKE ALL THREE OF US TO FIND OUT WHICH WAY TO GO". RIP MR. BILLY. YOU'RE WORK ON EARTH IS DONE.
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Post by Danny Hammers »

Billy Grammer arrangements
What a loss
Please keep My cousin Jimmy Hammers and family, Ruth Grammer and family. and Bobby Reed and family, in your prayers

Funeral is at Morton & Johnston Funeral Home in Benton, Ill,
At: 410 South Main St.
Visitation: 4 to 8 pm Friday 12th
Service: at funeral home at 11am Sat 13th
Burial: in Mount Pleasant, Ill.
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Robert Mayo

Post by Robert Mayo »

It is a great loss, I talked with Billy and Ruth considerably, met his brother Darrel, bought and sold more Grammer guitars than anyone ,even sold several to museums and was granted approval to use "The Grammer Guitar" headstock shape as my logo, condolences goes out to the family.
Sonny Priddy

Billy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Meat Him Frist Time Back Stage At The Rymon In 1969. Billy Was A Great guy. SONNY (AKA HANK RAY)
Kevin Gallagher

Billy Grammer

Post by Kevin Gallagher »

My buddy and I both purchased Grammers in 1970 or '71. In New Jersey of all places. For a while I raised the nut and played it like a dobro but with one of those old slap-on pickups through an old Fender Pro Reverb. Crazy. I loved that guitar and am sorry to say that I sold it. I loved looking in the sound hole and seeing "Made in Nashvile."
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

I remember Billy playing lead guitar on "The Jimmy Dean Show",I use to get up early just to watch It,seems as It came on at 8 in the morning,,and always liked His song "Gotta Travel On"....
R I P Billy........
Robert Mayo

Post by Robert Mayo »

If you have ever owned or own a Grammer guitar you can join this group I started a few years ago , http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.com/ ... tarsociety
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I remember way back when he had a pretty good sized hit with "Gotta Travel On"... I didn't even know he was a great guitarist for some years after that. I think that he even appeared on American Bandstand to perform that big hit of his.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

New York Times obituary for Billy Grammer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/12/arts/ ... ?ref=music
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

'Whenever the day is dawning and wherever we are seen, it's the whole gang saying Good Morning, Good Morning from Jimmy Dean'.......the opening of the show with Billy Grammer on guitar......I will hear it in my memory forever. [The Jimmy Dean morning show on CBS, 1957]. I became a Billy Grammer fan forever. RIP Billy, you have earned it. I am sorry that I never got to see and hear you in person.
Kenny Burford

Post by Kenny Burford »

Billy Grammer one of the great guitarist in the late 40s and 50s, I heard him tell in a radio interview once that he did a lot of sessions for King Records.
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

Sad to hear this. One of my top ten favorite albums is his "Gospel Guitar."
DeWitt Scott

Billy Grammer

Post by DeWitt Scott »

Scotty's Music was selected as a dealer for Billy Grammer Guitars for the entire St. Louis and surrounding towns. I remember Billy coming to my store with the guitar and signed me up as a dealer. My store was located in the basement of my home and I was surprised that I would be selected as a dealer for such a big name as "GRAMMER"! We became friends for many years and I sold many, many of the Grammer guitars. About 50 of them got weather checks in their finish but the factory in Nashville corrected them all. A wide varitey of beautiful fancy colors were available. I visited with Billy in Sesser, IL many times before he became almost blind. He will be sadly missed. Scotty
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

Billy Grammer was a great player and a great man!!! I met him back in 1990 during the first Illinois Country Music Association awards ceremony! He was a true gentleman!!! I still want a Grammer guitar and I will find the right one some day! They show up every once in a while! God bless his family and give them peace!!!

Michael T.
Currently retired from performing music in Branson, MO
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

www.onemancountryshow.com

www.facebook.com/utilityman2000
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Post by Michael T. Hermsmeyer »

I forgot to mention that at that time, he was one of only two Grand Ole Opry members from the state of Illinois!!! I believe the other was Allison Kraus!!! I met the great Patsy Montana that day also!!! What a Cowboy's Sweetheart!!! ;-)
Currently retired from performing music in Branson, MO
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE, Bray Resonator Guitar,'95 DOBRO F60S, '85 Dobro 60DS, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1948 National Grand Console D-8, 1951 Supro Clipper S-6. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps...

www.onemancountryshow.com

www.facebook.com/utilityman2000