Speakers for Steel

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Christopher Wray

Speakers for Steel

Post by Christopher Wray »

I run my PSG through a Carr Viceroy for sessions/touring and I've recently blown out my speaker. It had a Eminence Red Coat in it and sounded pretty good, but I'm thinking about putting a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. Do you all think that's a good or bad idea? I track guitar through it as well so it's not only running PSG. I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions on favorite speakers.

Thanks,
Christopher
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

What size?
Christopher Wray

Post by Christopher Wray »

It's a 1x12.
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

I'm guessing you had a Wizard in there? Seems like the Vintage30 is rated at 60W; that's lower than the eminence that blew, but I've heard Celestion is a bit conservative in their ratings.

I'm running 2x12" Classic Lead 80s (Celestion)from a 100w DSL and I like them a lot. Plenty of bass response, they compress a little when pushed, no real noticeable breakup at moderate volumes.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Eminence Delta Lite II. Light weight and steel guitar friendly. Randy Beavers uses them on the road. Let me know if you need a good price. I'm an Eminence dealer
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

... about putting a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. Do you all think that's a good or bad idea?
Bad. The Celestion Vintage 30 and all the Redcoats* I just looked at are guitar speakers, specifically designed to add some "breakup" <-(their word) and speaker distortion. What most steel players want is a dead-clean speaker that may color the sound, but it's not straining at the limit of power. Also, a speaker run to it's capacity compresses like crazy, which I think should be an option left up the player, not his equipment.
*( http://www.usspeaker.com/guitar-bass-1.htm#EMINENCE )
What I would look at are what are called bass or P.A. speakers, designed to change the tone as little as possible through their whole range as possible. Of course there is no such thing as a perfect or totally "flat" speaker. but Peavey's Black Widows, some JBLs, Altec-Lansings and others work really, really well. In my "little rig" I have an Eminence Beta-12 so-called bass speaker that works just fine.

*( http://www.usspeaker.com/guitar-bass-1.htm#EMINENCE )
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

JBL D120F/K120

clean sound double the acoustic output per watt of your old speaker

'nuff sedd...
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Dave Grafe wrote:JBL D120F/K120

clean sound double the acoustic output per watt of your old speaker

'nuff sedd...
Yep!! Use a pedal in front of the amp for dirt with the guitar...if necessary/desired.