Fender Steel King

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J Hollenberg

Fender Steel King

Post by J Hollenberg »

I want a new amp but here in The Netherlands there is hardly a amp to get. I mean, amps plenty but not for steelguitar. I am now using a Nashville 400 with all the mods but now and then you want something else.I have tried the Nashville 112 but i don't like the sound i am getting from it.What about the Fender Steel King, i know Fender don't make them anymore but maybe i can get one.Are they reliable. Maybe other amps suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Sjaak Hollenberg
Emmons Lashley LeGrande SD10 from 1993
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

In my experience the Steel King was not reliable and didn't sound good.

There is no reason to buy an amp that says steel guitar on it. Guitar amps work fine. I know some steel players that use bass amps also. Find a local amp company in the Netherlands and try there stuff out.
Bob
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

JH, you can find a good used Peavey Nashville 1000 at a very decent price right here on the forum
much more reliable than the FSK
i've had one for quite a few years - it's powerful & sounds good imo
you'll need a transformer to run it on 110v
if you can, get the peavey neo magnet to go on the black widow & reduce some of the weight
you can also have the new eminence 15" speaker that many are raving about
otherwise the Peavey Nashville 400 w: the Le May mod still seems to be the ref in steel amps
Dale Tiemessen

Post by Dale Tiemessen »

I've had Fender Steel King for about a year and just love the sound.I don't love the weight though.
I've had most of the Peavey amps too,and most of them sounded good too for a while till I got the itch to try something new.
Still trying to sound like Jimmy Day,just haven't found the right amp yet.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Dale,
The last few times I saw Jimmy Day playing he was using a Webb amp.
Bob
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

In my experience the Steel King was not reliable and didn't sound good.

There is no reason to buy an amp that says steel guitar on it. Guitar amps work fine. I know some steel players that use bass amps also. Find a local amp company in the Netherlands and try there stuff out.
:\

Yeah, once a guy really looks at the controls on a Steel King, he usually figures out that it is a very versatile and reliable amp. The sound is fantastic. I know when people first get one, they can be somewhat intimidated with all of the different controls that the Steel King offers, but with a little patience, one can achieve a very warm and unique sound.
Guitar amps work fine.
:\

Umm not so much. Some do, but most don't because of the preamp requirements hot steel guitar pickups demand. Couple that with a lack of midrange tonal adjustment that regular guitar amps lack, and most folks experience an irritating "honk" that is almost impossible to dial out.

Peaveys "Special 130" is an example of an exception, as it offer the MID and Shift controls to dial out the 700-800 Hz freq. that most steel players avoid.
Fred Rushing

Fender Steel King

Post by Fred Rushing »

I have had nothing but great results with my FSK. it is a very very good amp in my experience. Yes it is heavy but if you put a couple of handles on the sides of the amp it becomes very easy to lift and place where you want it. The speaker is great and you can get about any sound you want our of it. You can have a problem with any amp just as you do a car or anything else. That doesn't make the model a lemon. If you are looking for a different sound than a peavey prduces you will probably like what the FSK has to offer. JMO.
Fred
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Thomann.de have the Peavey Nashville 112 in stock in European spec. Should solve the problem.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see you didn't like it. But if you don't like the sound of a NV 112, most good dedicated steel amps would probably be equally disappointing. A Roland JC-120 might do the trick.
Thom Ferman

Post by Thom Ferman »

I've got a GK MB200, Fender Vibrasonic tube amp and the FSK. I always seem to go back to the FSK. I especially like it with the lightweight SICA neo 15". Nearly a grab and go amp now. It can be a little finicky with the tone controls and the reverb is all but useless. But, great warm tone when dialed in and the weight is very manageable with the neo speaker in it.
Thom Ferman
----------
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...the reverb is all but useless.
I agree. The Steel King reverb has a very long 'tail' and the only way to decrease it is to cut the amount of reverb, but then the sound is too dry. I shut the amp reverb off and use a Holy Grail reverb (spring setting) and it sounds excellent. I really like the thundering Lows of the Steel King. The amp really growls. For small rooms I use a Nashville 112.
Thom Ferman

Post by Thom Ferman »

...The Steel King reverb has a very long 'tail' and the only way to decrease it is to cut the amount of reverb.
I've found running the FSK reverb at about 9 o'clock (barely on) works well when using an external digital reverb in front of the amp. I use a Hardwire RV7 (usually using the hall or plate setting) after my VP and have it clamped to the guitar leg. I can easily vary the RV7 reverb level on the fly and the FSK provides a nicely subtle analog spring reverb tail with the amp's reverb level set low. It's a bit of a balancing act but you can achieve nice sonic results.
Thom Ferman
----------
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Silverface Twin. Was so happy to get rid of the Vegas, and go back to tubes. But that's just me.
Sam Lewis

Post by Sam Lewis »

I have had two FSK's since they first came out - never had the first little bit of trouble with them. Set them to the tone you want and let 'em run.
SL D-10, SL U-12,SL SD-10, Custom Tele w/B bender, Steel King, TC300 Effects, Goodrich H-10K pedal, Fender V/T Pedal, Hilton Pedal Elite seat.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Everything Curt said about the steel king. A very very nice amp. Never had a problem with it, sounds as good as any peavey out there. Makes a fantastic jazz guitar amp as well.
Bernard Glorian

Post by Bernard Glorian »

JH I am here near the border Belgium/ France in Ardennes FR.200 km from NL.... I have a STEEL KING FENDER, perfect state and very good sound (15 " LSP)
no problem. I used it about 20 gigs and as brand new still. Bought 2005.
If interested , contact me with MP..friendship from france, bernard
bernardglorian (at) wanadoo.fr
(arrobase hidden, for web security)
I use now a smal Evans RE200 only for weight reasons,
sound enough good but don't worth the Steel King of course.

CARPE DIEM
http://www.www.facebook.com/bernard.glorian1

PSG "WBS" D10 + S10, Evans RE200, Fulawka VolPed., Boss and Daphon effects.
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I love my FSK and would replace it in a heartbeat if something were to happen to it.

The reverb is FANTASTIC. Typical Fender reverb :)

The Eminence JBL D-130 clone has "that" sound with the capability to handle higher wattage.

To me, this is the best steel amp that was made. I have not heard of reliability issues with the King (the Custom Twin 15" is another matter). I was gigging mine every week for years with no problem.
Dean Holman

Post by Dean Holman »

I got a new steel king last year. The stock speaker was okay but I put in a black widow speaker. IMHO, the black widow handles the power better, tamed the highs and has a nice clean and full sound, and cut about 7 pounds off the weight. There are a few players that are using the black widows as well. I'm sure some of the new neo speakers probably work well in the steel king and would cut even more weight off.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

I have an FSK, and didn't care for the sound at first,
but after playing with it and getting it set up right,
I really enjoy the nice clean sound it's giving me now.
Has anyone tried a SICA neo in their FSK yet. If you
did, did it sound as good as the original speaker did.
Carl
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I tried the Peavey BW in my Steel King and ended going back to the stock speaker. Pics or the install and some sound files here:

Black Widow speaker in a Fender Steel King!

Greg
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Carl ----> Click Here
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Hey Lee, Many thanks. I have a SICA that I got from Ken a while back
for my N1000, but I like the sound of the FSK a lot better, so I don't
use the N1000 and thought about trying the SICA in the FSK for weight.
I see others like it also, so I guess I'll have to give it a try too.
Carl
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Fred Rushing

Fsk

Post by Fred Rushing »

Hi Carl. One of the unique sounds of the FSK IMO is the sound of the JBL like speaker that came with it. I am not going to say you would not like the BW or the SICA or the the new lightweight Eminance speakers. However IT WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT SOUND when you change it. I have tried the BW and I still like the Stock speaker myself. The SICA will have less bite. They all will sound good in the FSK but the stock speaker is my choice. I play an Emmons LGII as you know. Just my thoughts.

Fred
Dean Holman

Post by Dean Holman »

I must have had a faulty speaker or something cause I could only get so much out of the stock speaker before it would break up. I put the black widow in and don't have that problem anymore. I get plenty of mid-range and a nice full sound out of my FSK. I feel like I have a more centered tone in which I can enhance the the things that I want to hear more of.
Fred Thompson

Post by Fred Thompson »

I've had a Steel King for 4/5 years and have never had an ounce of trouble with it. Sounds better than any Peavey I've ever had. I put a Sica in it, still sounded great. Put the Sica in a cab to use with my MB-200, which sounds wonderful also. Bought a lightweight Eminence for my FSK, still sounds great and light enough to handle. The original speaker was fine, just too much for my wife to lift. :whoa: :roll:
IMHO, you can't beat a Steel King. :wink:
The difference between a musician and a savings bond is eventually the bond will mature and earn money.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Well Fred & Fred, If I get time tomorrow or Thursday, I'm going to try the
SICA in the FSK and see how it sounds. I need a lighter weight and would
like a warmer sound on the highs and still have the nice sustain it has now.
I guess I should sell my N1000. I don't use it anyway. It's too heavy for me.