Forum Fundraiser (a wild Idea)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

Forum Fundraiser (a wild Idea)

Post by Andy Volk »

Steel guitar (of the non-pedal persuassion) is my hobby. I work in the corporate television business. I've written, produced, directed and/or designed 100's of programs over the last 15 years. Over the past two years or so, I've gotten a tremendous amount of info and ideas from this forum from players of all levels from top pros to hackers, like myself. Well ...I'd been bouncing e-mails back & forth with a fellow forumite this week about doing an instructional video when this idea hit me: why not a collective instructional video by the members of the steel guitar forum? The master tape of which is sold by b0b to help defray the expense of maintaing this valuable resource. Here's the idea:

Any forumite who's interested tapes one or more ideas, technical tips, licks, runs, tunes, etc. using whatever camera they have access to. Each person's taped idea should
be from 30 seconds to no longer than about 5 minutes. These can be taped on either VHS, VHS-C or professional Betacam formats.
I can post a series of technical guidelines for how to shoot these. The idea is not to get professional quality, but watchable video.

Ideas for tips could be for multiple tunings but I propose we restrict the lessons to things that are universal to any and all steel guitars. That means sticking to non-pedal ideas of across no more than 8 strings. There are many great pedal steel instructional videos out there and I don't feel qualified to get into pedal territory. So universal things like pick and palm blocking, thumbpicking, harmonics, scale runs, etc,. make the most sense to me.

You would send me the raw videotapes and I would edit the tapes here in Boston and add graphics making a final tape of 60-90 minutes of steel guitar tips and lessons from forumities. Sort of like the 4-H Club cookbook. Think of all the fantstic players and years of experience we have here!

Here's the deal: everyone who contributes a tape with a lesson also sends a blank VHS and gets a copy of the final, edited program. b0b gets the master tape and gets to sell dubs on the forum. Everyone who takes part would sign a release assigning all rights to b0b.

If this idea flys, we can set up formal guidelines about what to tape and how to do it so that we get consistent lessons.

What do you think?
Bob Markison

Post by Bob Markison »

Andy - Wonderful idea, really wonderful - count me in. I'm happy to contribute, but I'm most eager to get the finished collection - and happy to pay for it. - Bob
mikey

Post by mikey »

Aloha Andy,
I think it's a fabulous Idea, altho, I don't feel capable enough to give a short lesson on anything!!! I know I've mentioned this one before, so I guess no one thinks it's viable, but I can't help but think if every non pedal forumite submitted 2 or 3 songs, we could have ourselves a nice CD...I'd like to think everyone would buy one at like what? 15 bucks,It works out to like 10 bucks or more profit on each, make some money for the forum, get our music out, get to hear the other guys play and who knows maybe someone could get a gig out of it, I know a real good, inexpensive CD mastering and pressing plant in California, ( same one and guys David Lindley uses, Digiprep) all they need is a DAT stereo master, just an Idea,
Aloha,
Mike
Chris DeBarge

Post by Chris DeBarge »

Andy-
Great idea, let's roll! Mikey, I like your idea too. Mostly I like the idea of helping the forum, I know it's really helped me in the past.

PS to Andy- The Spurs CD release coming early May, I'll let you know the exact date of the party.
Dana Duplan

Post by Dana Duplan »

Andy: I think it's a great idea too. Another option would be to include some live footage of our Forumites performances if space would permit.
DD
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

All good ideas, guys. See my follow-up post.

Mikey, I like the idea of a CD but I'm not the guy to do it. I know video but not studio sound editing.
JERRY FERMIN

Post by JERRY FERMIN »

What a great idea I hope you get a good response, I know a lot of us would benifit from a project like this. The only problem I see is that most of the players are to humble about their abilitys. Even though they feel they havent reached the level they want to be at dosnt mean they dont have something to help out us little guys.
Mischa Sobel

Post by Mischa Sobel »

Great idea Andy. While I doubt I have anything to offer, I sure could use some tips from fellow players. When it's ready, I'd like to buy a copy.