I Never Go Around Mirrors

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Moffitt

I Never Go Around Mirrors

Post by Mike Moffitt »

Does anyone know who played steel on Keith Whitley's version of I Never Go Around Mirrors ?
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Paul Franklin
Dick Sexton

Mr. Franklin?

Post by Dick Sexton »

On the Youtube Video?

Great intro and solo!
Rick Plunk

I never go around mirrors

Post by Rick Plunk »

That's not Paul on the video, although he probably played on the session cut; and sounded superb as always. Mike Johnson's steel part was also nice on Daryle Singletary's cut of this song!
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

I prefer Mike Johnson's rendition. He has more of the John Hughey touch! However, these two fellow Brits do my favorite version of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHGXvZWVCXc
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Brett Day

Re: I never go around mirrors

Post by Brett Day »

Rick Plunk wrote:That's not Paul on the video, although he probably played on the session cut; and sounded superb as always. Mike Johnson's steel part was also nice on Daryle Singletary's cut of this song!
On the video, if it's a live concert, the steel player is Carson Chamberlain. He played a doubleneck Franklin pedabro which had the standard pedabro neck and a steel neck on it too. Carson played for Keith until Keith died. Carson is now a songwriter and producer. Paul was the steel player on the records, and Carson was the steel player on Keith's live shows.

Brett
Theresa Galbraith

Thanks Brett! :)
Theresa Galbraith

double post
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Here is a link to Mike Johnson's "mirrors"!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23SJldZ2ljI[u][/u]

Her is a link to the Keith Whitley version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vezn9t7n3hM
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Wow. I love Keith Whitley, but gotta say that Daryle Singletary's version just knocked the living bajeebies out of me. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have Rhonda Vincent on background vocals. What a masterpiece.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Other versions:

Gene Watson With some unknown player by the name of (I think) Buddy Emmons :D

Mark Chestnutt

Merle Haggard

Willie Nelson Yuck!! No steel to be found here.

David Frizell That Mike Johnson guy again. Jimmy Fortune from the Statler Brothers on backup vocals.

Bradley Walker Nice acoustic version.

Anyone know for sure who played on Mark Chestnutt's version.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 10 Aug 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Other versions:

Mark Chestnutt

Anyone know for sure who played on Mark Chestnutt's version. Sounds like Mike Johnson again to me, but I'm not sure, and I thought Paul Franklin played on all of Mark's stuff.
....Mark's one of the best straight ahead country singers....It was a pleasure to play on his version of Lefty's song........When Mark was on MCA I only missed one or two sessions......Terry Crisp is who I believe filled the slot on those sessions.........Paul
Richard Sinkler

Thanks Paul. Great playing as usual.

I was looking through all of Mark's records on Allmusic.com, and saw that he also used Buddy, Sonny Garrish, Russ Pahl and Terry Crisp on some tunes. I guess we should add Dan Dugmore and Robby Turner to the list. Goes to show how much I know.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Thanks Paul. Great playing as usual.

I was looking through all of Mark's records on Allmusic.com, and saw that he also used Buddy, Sonny Garrish, Russ Pahl and Terry Crisp on some tunes. I guess we should add Dan Dugmore and Robby Turner to the list. Goes to show how much I know.
I recorded all of his hits except for the sessions I believe Terry Crisp played and perhaps it was Buddy on one, now that I give it some more thought.....I'm talking about the period of the 90's and early 2000's when radio was still paying attention to his work....After he lost his deal with MCA I remember recording one CD with him produced by Jimmy Richie for a much smaller label....Since then I would guess a lot of players on all instruments have worked with him......Artists tend to stick with the same bands when they are having radio hits.....There are a few exceptions who change it up on every CD......After singles bomb they go searching for the next band who will give them a new sound hoping to get back to the airwaves.....It must be tough to be on top of the charts and still so talented in his 50's and then to have country radio decide they will not play any of his new works.....Its not right, but its life in radio land.

Paul
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Who played on Lefty's version?
Richard Sinkler

Paul

It's really a shame that has to happen to the real greats in country music, like Mark. I will admit that I like some of the stuff coming out of Nashville these days, but the stuff like Mark Chestnutt and others like Gene Watson should never have to be pushed aside.

I got the other players from the credits on Allmusic.com. Unfortunately, they don't list the credits on each song. I do believe that you did play on all the hits he put out. They all have that "Franklin" touch.