I will no longer answer emails on repair issues

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Sexton

Mr. Fox...

Post by Dick Sexton »

I'm sorry you received such a despicable and tasteless email. You've worked on my amps and supported me in my latest reverb project, reasonably or without charge. Always professionally and always above board. When something is done for nothing, there will always be a few that will try to take advantage, or not be appreciative, they may not even see it as that. But, our time is worth something to us, we only get allotted so much, X amount. I want giving it away, to be my choice. And I don't want it stolen from me, one second or minute at a time doing something I don't care about doing. I've found family to be the worst and no one will take advantage quicker. I use, "I'll try to get that" or "I'll do my best to get to that", a lot. A few of those seconds and minutes, I have to keep for myself. God bless you, Ken. You've helped so many...
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

This forum would not be nearly as informative without Ken's input. I've learned so much from him. His work and intense mod on my amp was the best thing I have done for my sound and the whole transaction was top shelf and professional. That dimwit who made that foolish and totally wrong statement is another sad commentary for our "me first" society. Ken has forgotten more than most amp tech's around here know.You are and will remain the forum's "go to" guy. Thanks Mr. Fox!
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

That dimwit who made that foolish and totally wrong statement is another sad commentary for our "me first" society.
What is a "me first" society?....

I think I heard that phrase before by a bloviating non-capitalist.

Not sure though.

Hmm. "me first"

Interesting....................

:\
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Hi Curt,

I've noticed a very self centered narcissistic outlook from people lately, particularly young people (at the risk of being flamed) I guess you can call it that "entitlement" mentality; that I'm entitled to have this man fix my amp because I want it and what the repairman thinks doesn't really matter.I don't think I'm a bloviating non-capitalist, though.Nothing to do with economics, I think its just called common courtesy! Ken deserves respect!
Scott Appleton

customers

Post by Scott Appleton »

Ken, Don't sweat the idiots... I am a technician as well and have been repairing amps for 30 years although i prefer tube amps .. much simpler to diagnose .. i recently went to a bench charge per hour of 130$ minimum no free advice then an estimate of total cost of repair after bench check. That seems to weed out the lookie looous.. biz is down quite a bit so i have had to put on the tools and go out as a certified electrican to make ends meet .. the hell with em
Scott
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

I guess you can call it that "entitlement" mentality; that I'm entitled to have this man fix my amp because I want it and what the repairman thinks doesn't really matter.
I'm with you on that! Lots of people feel "entitled".

No, Mitch, I was not insinuating that you were a bloviating non-capitalist.

Seems I heard our leader in a press conference speaking of the "me first" mentality.

We are really not guaranteed anything in this life.

Not even our next breath!
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Thank goodness for Ken Fox's expert electronic analysis here on the Forum. Excellent analysis from an expert.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Ken, I'm guilty. I did ask about a distortion problem with a MX . I didn't mean to offend. It was a amp you tuned for me. I do, however, understand where your coming from. Don't want you mad at me. I might want service later. Sorry !
Bill
Steven Stewart

I think your the best.

Post by Steven Stewart »

you were very very honest with me Thanks. Grate sounding amps keep up the work with JOY! :D
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Hi Bill, Be glad to look at that MX. It is a tube hybrid and should be similar to the Classic VTX and others I have worked on.
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

This makes me appreciate the help that Ken gave me over the phone even more, and am sorry that others have pushed him to reconsider his generosity to this community.

Last year (in crisis mode, thinking I fried an amp I had just purchased) Ken really took his time talking me through some possibilities and gave me great advice (the amp was/is fine). He was also a pleasure to speak with. It was an act of kindness. Thank you again.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

wow...a $130 bench check and no free advice would weed me out!
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Ken, Don't sweat the idiots... I am a technician as well and have been repairing amps for 30 years although i prefer tube amps .. much simpler to diagnose .. i recently went to a bench charge per hour of 130$ minimum no free advice then an estimate of total cost of repair after bench check. That seems to weed out the lookie looous.. biz is down quite a bit so i have had to put on the tools and go out as a certified electrican to make ends meet .. the hell with em
Scott
Shazam!
biz is down quite a bit so i have had to put on the tools and go out as a certified electrican to make ends meet .. the hell with em
Yes, I guess at that rate it would be.

In other words, you do not wish to work on amps!

:o

Don't blame ya....

:(
Tommy R. Butler

Post by Tommy R. Butler »

Ken is MY AMP tech. Nobody else in this world has ever touched one of my amps. Dont want anyone else to touch my amps wont let anyone else touch my amps. Ken Fox is to amp repair as Big E is to steel guitar. There was steel guitar before Big E but Big E is steel guitar. There were steel amps and repair before Ken Fox but theres none any better than Ken. He may not know it all yet but he will....! I have watched the man work hour after hour and he amazes me....! to watch him whip some of the problems with junk i've seen go thru his shop is unbelievable. He's just an all around Great Guy & I trust him with my tone and my life ....! Hi Ruth :D Cant wait to see yall in Georgia next month....!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Hi Ken. I just saw this post. Had I seen it before I called you on Monday, I probably would have respected your wish and not called. That is just wrong what that jerk said to you.

Thank you again for emailing me the NV 400 info.

You are one of the best things to happen to the steel guitar world.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Scott Appleton

not unusual for bay area

Post by Scott Appleton »

When service for your auto is 180$ and plumbers are 240$ an hour i think a min bench charge is the only way to go. The average bench charge in the SF bay area is
from 90 to 130 after canvasing other repair shops so my
minimum is not out of line .. a majority of tube amp repairs only take an hour and i always give it a good burn in of a few hours to see if the repair holds .. advice is always free if the customer comes in with a problem before they commit to leaving the amp .. and yes i am not in a hurry to become a full service technical service like kens or others .. its a side enterprise with a few select clients..
Mike Poholsky

Post by Mike Poholsky »

Ditto what James said. My Blackface Twin never sounded so good!
Pleasure doing business with you!
Thanks Ken.
Zumsteel 12 Universal
SGBB
ShoBud VP
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste
Dave Ristrim

Post by Dave Ristrim »

Ken, I sure appreciate all the help you've given me in the past. You are a wealth of valid info IMHO.
Keep building, repairing, playing or whatever it is that you enjoy.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I just wanted to clear up something. I will respond
to PM question from the Forum. That is a "safer" way for me to help out!
I will answer any questions, as time permits, to the best of my ability. :D
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

On another thread,I asked for some ideas on how to work with a glitch on a Ken Fox NV 112 mod kit installation.Ken responded with a spot-on explanation of the problem,which turned out to be the result of me misaligning one of the chips while putting it in the socket.Thanks to his instructions I fixed it within a few minutes and my NV112 sounds great.
If there is a bone of contention relative to Ken,it's over who gets to say nice things about him :D :D
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

David Collins wrote:I fully agree with Mr. Nugent.

As a professional in a totally unrelated field, I am constantly approached for "free advice" on solving problems with machinery that I've never even seen. It is very frustrating, especially while trying to enjoy a meal with family in a restaurant, etc.

Why is it that self employed and/or professional people are expected to share their expert knowledge and work for free?
For the same reason people expect us to drive long mileage, set up and play for free. (It looks like fun).

People don't understand the thousands of hours spent learning a trade and feel they are owed free service. JMO
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

With the recent home fire it is going to be even more difficult to find time to answer even the Forum questions, I will however check when I can and do the best I can.

I have a home to cleanup and rebuild. I will oversee and help with the cleanup by Service Master, starting today. I will be the general contractor on rebuilding the home. I have built two much larger homes before therefore this one will be fairly straight ahead, expect for the demolition. I can see us pretty tied up for 4-6 months for sure!
Jerry Pansier

Post by Jerry Pansier »

Ken I sure do appreciate the Great work you have done for me. There just seem to be someone somewhere that's trying to get something for nothing.Its best not to even deal with them.Thanks again.
Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

Ken,

Your help and expertise over the years has been much appreciated, either through your direct assistance with my Peavey xxxfex units or indirectly through your numerous helpful and knowledgable posts in the various forums. If you never lift another finger, you have done more than your share.

I know I speak for many when I say thank you.
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com