Alabama Show, July 23

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

Well Dale finally glad to see you have joined the masses. :D It is real nice to be able to talk to people from everywhere about steel guitar. So have you decided to go? If you are then you should play guitar on my set. Once again Dad has to miss out on another show. :( He and my Mom are taking care of his mother.

As far as I know my band leader/bass player is coming fri night or sat morning to play on my set, he will also be singing and hopefully we will do some not so new songs but songs i have never heard at a steel show. And if you like classic, walkin bass, shuffle, country then you will be in the right place. We might do some other stuff. :lol:

Man I am excited about next weekend it just cant get here soon enough. I hope we pack the place out this year.
JDAWG
MULLEN G2 D-10 8X7
QUILTER 202 combo TT12
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT
Wendell Gurley

Post by Wendell Gurley »

Roger, I think you know the answer to your question regarding would I sing on your set---I would be very UPSET if you didn't ask me to. It will be my pleasure to be on the stage with you and thanks in advance!! See you Friday in Montgomery!
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

We will have a big "SURPRISE" at the Show!! I do hope it remains a secret!! When arriving in Montgomery, look for the big blue Motel 6 sign! Governors House is in Motel 6 Facility. There will be people there to direct players to Constitution Hall to unload equipment. We will now be in CONSTITUTION HALL. A much larger and nicer Room!
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Wendell, put me on your set list too, please. We can do the same song that I can never remember the title of. I think it's Johnny Rodriguez???
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Joe Naylor

Let;'s see

Post by Joe Naylor »

Johnny Rod songs -

Riddin My Thumb to Mexico

Down on the Rio Grande

Back on Her Mind Again

Pass Me By

Rose of My Heart

Just to name a few

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey friends,

I sure wish today was Friday, I'm ready to go to Alabama. I spoke to M J over the weekend, and he has a great set planned for show. Really though, it wouldn't matter what he played, it would be terrific.

Roger, I don't know if there will be any other drummers there, so I might need you to give me a short break.

Wendell, tell Glenda that I'm bringing my cooler, she'll know what I mean. Looking forward to seeing you both.

Folks, if you can get to Montgomery this weekend, you need to come on out to the show. I know you'll have a big time.

See ya there,
Jim
Wendell Gurley

WE"LL BE THERE!!

Post by Wendell Gurley »

Hello Friends,

Jim, in response to your statement regarding bringing your cooler: Just bring a small one,as we almost had a crop failure this year and you have already made a substantial withdrawal from what I had planned to eat next winter!! HA
Make sure you've got Bob Strickland lined up and ready to pick.

Bill, you are on for the song(s) you want-- why don't you send an email and give me a phone number and I will call you so we can figure out what we want to do and thanks in advance for asking me. My email is: w.gurley@yahoo.com

We am so looking forward to seeing and hearing our many talented friends this weekend--hurry up Friday!!
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

How much are tickets to get into the show?

B
Prevent Juvenile delinquecy...teach children to STEEL

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

We have been moved to The Alabama Room!! The address of Hotel is 2705 East South Boulevard, Montgomery, Al 36116. 334-288-2800. 1-866-535-5392. Look for Big Blue Motel 6 Sign!! Governors House Facilities are in Motel 6 . The Big Surprise is confirmed!!!!! Jam will start when enough musicians arrive!! Admissions for Jam is Donations!! If you like what you hear, please give generously!! Sat Show Admissions is $15.00. Paid up Alabama Gang members $10.00. Children Free. Play List will be available Friday afternoon! There will be a buffet Sat. for $10.00, all you can eat and drink. If you have never attended an Alabama Steel Guitar Association Show, you will find very friendly people who will welcome you with open arms!! Come enjoy Great Music and Fellowship!! Any questions you can call me at Work 334-242-2789, Home 334-567-9190, or e-mail billcook1014@gmail.com.
Bill Cunningham

I'm leaving work about 3:00 PM eastern time Friday to beat the Atlanta traffic and am looking forward to it! See you then Mr. Cook. By the way, Beaudreax and Thibedeaux, the Cajun Dachsunds, will not be coming this time.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Mr. Cunningham,
You can bring your children and they are welcome to stay at my house. I have 3 mini-schnauzers who can come and go 24 X 7 through dog door. I don't mind being # 7 at my house! I'm allready # 5!. Bringing Wife??
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Cunningham,

Looking forward to seeing you in Al. I didn'nt know there was any way of avoiding the Atlanta traffic, other than staying out of Atlanta. Just wondering, do you have a bird dog named Phideaux?

See ya there,
Jim
Ernest Cawby

Hardest Post I Ever Made ??

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Most of you know Belinda, but few have met our toungest daughter Rebecca, Beckt's husband passed away aNd was burried 2 weeks ago. After waiting 39 years to get married, lasting only 5 years was hard for her to do. We lived with her this last year, came home 2 weeks ago, she is doing fine and is in good shape. The new problem with this post is the girl most of you know as a loving and carring girl you have hugged her neck at many shows. The proBlem now is her husband of 25 years is, tomorrow he will be put into Hospice with no chance of recovery, he could pass on any minute.
For this reason Nan and I have decided we need to stay home to support Belinda in this time of need, we will miss all of you more than you know. Your prayers are needed and your love sent.
Have a good show and remember we love you all more than you KNOW.

ernie nan linda
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Ernie,

Sure hate to hear all the bad news, please know that prayers and good thoughts are on the way. We'll sure miss you and the girls, give them a hug for me.

I just spoke to my buddy John LeMaster from Florida, he'll be at the show this weekend. I hope he has his steel with him, he sure is a fine player.

Well, I've got a pretty good ride tomorrow, better get some sleep.

See ya there,
Jim
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

Ernie it just wont be the same without you there. :( But i know everyone understands and sends there love and prayers. I certainly will be saying a prayer for you all. I will miss you and will be thinking of you this weekend.

LOL :!: I need to be getting in the bed but, trying to get all my ducks in a row before i leave in the morning. Im coming early this year so as soon as we get settled in i will be ready to start jamming. :D
JDAWG
MULLEN G2 D-10 8X7
QUILTER 202 combo TT12
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey friends,

The now traditional Friday night jam started early yesterday and ended late last night, but we're just gettin' warmed up. Big show planned for today.

If you are anywhere near Alabama, and haven't already made plans to come out, come join us for a huge day of fun.

See ya there,
Jim
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Thanks to Bill Cook and the Alabama Gang for another great show. Some of us Georgia boys had to leave early to get back for Saturday night gigs, but what we got to hear was a great mix of styles and some great playing. Bill, thanks for the invitation to play and for working around our schedule for having to leave. As always, the staff band was on their game. Thanks again, Bill!
Jeannie Smith

Post by Jeannie Smith »

The Georgia Boys did their part to make the Alabama show really good! Here's Roger Crawford, Bill Cunningham, Elmo (Larry Moore) and Jeremy Drawbaugh.

and here's a great pix: This is the Dick Clark of the steel guitar world Mr. Mike Johnson, with Johnny Thomas (one of the staff guitar players) in a rare moment off stage, along with Joanie (who really needs to learn to look more cheerful!!))

Ok, just one more. It was worth a drive from anywhere to hear Mr. Johnny Cox play his medley solo! What a nice tribute to Curly!! You could have heard a pin drop and he got the first standing ovation of the day!!

and a great photo of one of my favorite smooth players, Bill Cunningham, playing one of my favorite tunes, Blue Velvet

Sorry for all of you who weren't there!! Thanks Mr. Bill Cook for all you do to make the "girls with the band" feel comfortable and welcome!!
...not just a bass player's wife! I want the last thing I hear on this earth to be Russ Hicks and Jimmy Crawford playing "Cold Cold Heart"! But not any time soon...
Larry Moore

Ala. Show

Post by Larry Moore »

I would like to Ditto what Roger said:
Thanks for the Invitation and we both made it in time to our Sat night Gigs. Did it in record time made it to Barnesville, Ga. about 5:00 pm (2 hrs & 45 min)
Hope we can do this again
Larry Moore
(Jeannie it is LMoe)
Bill Cunningham

Well Jeannie, if Jeremy, Cox, and I had known you were taking pics from that angle, we could have put some powder on those shiney heads. :lol:

But seriously, what a great time we had! The jam on Friday night was fun if a bit un-nerving for me sitting beside Mike for an hour. So much fine music Friday and Saturday. But for me the highlight was hearing and getting to play bass with Johnny Cox on the Chalker tribute set. Johnny played Curly's EMCI and Sho Bud amp.

Congratulations Bill Cook for another great Alabama Assoc. show and thanks for letting me be a part of it. Looking forward to the next one.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Dale Davis

Post by Dale Davis »

Jeremy! What`s that Bama Boy doing posing in the mug shots with those three Georgia Boys? Wish I could have been there to save you from that embarrassment. Just kidding! Sounds like I missed the best show yet. My plans fell through and didn`t get to make it this year. I`ll try again next year and, if Bill will allow me a time slot, hopefully get to play next year. Thanks for letting me fill in for you on your Saturday night gig, it was great therapy!, since I missed the show. It was good to see and jam with the guys again. Had a large time and crowd. The sad news is, you still got a job there. I didn`t jeopardize it at all. Hope you stole and brought back us some tasty new licks to learn! See you back home Jeremy, and thanks Bill Cook for putting on great shows and making them better every year. Looking forward to the next one.
Wendell Gurley

Great Time!

Post by Wendell Gurley »

Thank you Bill Cook!!! Now that was a SHOW! Thanks for allowing me to be a small part of it and I sincerely appreciate all the steel players who afforded me the chance to share the stage with them. All of my Georgia buddies,Larry Moore, Roger Crawford and Bill Cunningham let me sing with them. Also my Alabama friends, Jeremy Drawbaugh and Don Lynch let me share the stage with them. To top it off, Johnny Cox gave me the chance to do a number with him. Anytime a singer gets to sing with that group of steel players, he has had a GOOD day!!
The staff band with Jim Hartley on drums, Wayne Smith on bass, Bob Strickland and Johnny Thomas guitar was so good--thanks --you are the unsung heroes--they couldn't have done it without you!

The headliners, Mike and Joanie, were their usual fantastic selves. If there are nicer people in this world, I've not met them. The icing on the cake was when they let my friend Andy Norman sing with them- what a talent he is!
I could go on and on about all the wonderful players and talent we got to experience, but like the saying goes 'you just had to be there'--to all who missed this show, I'm sorry... Better plan on being there next time!! There are so many more I would like to mention, but they will likely throw me off the Forum if I say much more-- Wendell
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Well, looks like I missed another great show. :cry: Bill's show is always first class and from what I hear he is doing some good work for steel guitar. I hate I missed the Georgia gang. They always put on a good show. I really hate I missed Johnny Cox. To hear him play Curly"s guitar must have been great. He has been one of my heros since we were both in diapers. :lol: Did you notice the longer Jeremy hangs with the Georgia gang how much he's starting to look like them.

I'm still on the mind from my back surgery it's taking longer than I had expected. Brenda and i have also had to move my mother in with us. She has alzheimers and can't be alone. So, I may miss many more shows in the future. I hope to see you all some were down the road. Until then Happy steeling.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

What an honor it was to be be asked to accept the "Alabama Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame" award on behalf of Curly Chalker. Bill Cook and all the gang were so kind to me at the show. It was great to here Herby Wallace, Mike Johnson and all the players on the show. Thanks to Bill Cunningham and the rest of the band for doing such a great job playing. As always, the best part is the fellowship with everyone. That's what I enjoy most about steel shows is getting to visit and catch up with old friends and make some new ones. I hope I can go back sometime.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Joe Babb

Post by Joe Babb »

Well, what can we say after all these after show posts, but Wow, what a great show. Sharon and I want to thank Bill for having us come down to Montgomery to be a part of such a fantastic show. Many thanks to the great band, the sound crew, and everyone for welcoming us and making us feel like family. Hope things work out so we can attend again next year.