New MB200 Arrives!!!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Michael,

I don't think there are rack ears specifically for the MB-200. The MB-200 can be mounted to a 1 space rack shelf by removing the rubber feet and using the those holes to secure the MB-200 to the shelf.

Ears can be made, but each side would be almost 5 3/4" long in a standard 19" rack width. My guess is that this would be kinda flimsy.

There are holes in the MB that look as though they were designed to accommodate rack ears. When I first got mine, I wrote GK and asked if they had a kit to attach two MB's together in a rack mount...they don't.

I think ears are available for the larger models, 500's and newest 800.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Just got my MB200,using an old nashville 400 cab with 15 inch Black Widow until my Sica 12 arrives, sounds real good.Using RP150.Will report back once I try it out at a gig(not many of those at moment).Think I am going to like it.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Michael Remming

EPS 12" Speaker

Post by Michael Remming »

Here is a response I got from Eminence in regards to
the 12" EPS speaker.

Hello Mike,

Sorry, that just isn't true, but thanks for asking. With the price and
availability of neo magnets, I doubt there will be too many new neo
products developed.

Regards,
Gary

Gary Morrison | Distribution Sales Manager
Eminence Speaker LLC
P.O. Box 360
838 Mulberry Pike
Eminence, KY 40019

Phone: 502.845.5622 Ext. 225
Fax: 502.845.5653
www.eminence.com
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

im playing my mb200 through one of Ken Foxe's sica 4ohm 15s and couldnt be happier with the tone. wow i have nothing bad to say about this combo, which for me is rare.
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Malcolm McMaster

On connecting my Peterson tuner into system I am getting loud buzz, has anyone experienced this?Irun from guitar to small A/B splitter, one going to volume pedal/RP150 into MB200, the other to the tuner.Even when the switch is over to pedal/amp the noise is still there, even although in theory, the tuner should be totally isolated noise is still there.By putting the 10db toggle switch on the MB200 into up position the noise reduces but is still audible.Am having to run with tuner disconnected and then put loose cable in when I want to tune.Any help would be welcome.Have tried usual things like changing cables and power supply to Peterson.Have tried running from guitar direct to Peterson without A/B box but noise still there.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

mine does that to. no solution here yet either
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

I use several volume pedals with my rig.

My Hilton has an aux output that I connect to either one of my Peterson tuners (flip & VS II). Neither produces any noise, battery or AC powered.

My Goodrich has an aux out that I wired a resistor to in order to use it with a turner. See this thread:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=173031
Again no noise of any kind.

The Sho~Bud pedal doesn't have a second out, so it don't count......
My tuners are actively connected all the time at gigs, sometimes on (with AC use), and sometimes off.....never any noise.

The resistor mod in the above link works great!
Malcolm McMaster

Steve, will have a look at that link and give it a try.Thanks Malcolm
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Try running the Peterson on batteries, if you can. Might be a ground loop situation.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I also have the Goodrich with the tuner out mod and it works great with my MB200. I run the tuner all the time.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Malcolm McMaster

Thanks guys will try out these possibilities.Will get my local tech to do these this week and see how it works.Just for info volume pedal is Goodrich 120 with Tom Bradshaw pot.
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

thats good to know, imma put a resitor in mytuner cable
Malcolm McMaster

Tried the Goodrich mod but still getting noise, not using Peterson now, just running into TU12 and getting no noise, probably just stick with TU12,can't be bothered with all the hassle with Peterson.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Back to the MB200, have any of you guys had an issue with head room and wish you had gone with the 500 watt unit?
Malcolm McMaster

Should have added that was through MB200, not getting buzz when using 112 with exact same set up,could MB200 it's self be at fault.
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Roger Crawford wrote:Back to the MB200, have any of you guys had an issue with head room and wish you had gone with the 500 watt unit?
Nope... it is pretty clean with my pedal steel and pa floor monitor. I mic all of my amps.
Its pretty loud.
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Roger,

Way back at the front of this thread, I mentioned several times my considerations in deciding on which amp to go with; the 200 or 500. I chose two of 200's and 12" speakers for portability and versatility. I've been very happy with my choice for my situations. Every once in a rare while I'll find myself thinking about a 15" speaker, but considering I only play E9 now, it's usually just a fleeting thought. The single 200 and one 12" speaker has given me more satisfaction, made me more money, and has been infinitely easier to manage than any of the dozens of amps I played in the last 30 years.

Chuck Back recently added a MB-200 to his guitar set-up as a second system amp. He's been playing the MB-500. He turned off the 500 and played only the 200 for the last set and, after jacking the volume up a little, had exactly the same tone, drive, sustain, etc. Here's the original thread with his MB-500 setup: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

It's nice to know that there are different options available for different needs, all with the same consistently impressive results.

On a side note, I just noticed that tomorrow will be the 1 year anniversary of the first thread I posted on the MB-200. Glad to see there are still constructive comments as to these products! :D
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Thanks Steve. I knew you were happy with the MB200. I just wondered, given the amount of time that this has been evolving, if anyone had any second thoughts. I play E9 only as well, but still like the sound of a 15" speaker. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla I guess.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Thanks Steve. I knew you were happy with the MB200. I just wondered, given the amount of time that this has been evolving, if anyone had any second thoughts. I play E9 only as well, but still like the sound of a 15" speaker. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla I guess.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

There haven't been many negative comments about the MB-200, so I decided to post one. I bought mine on May 23 from Amazon.com. The last day I could have returned it was July 4th. It died on me on July 10th. Here's what it does; turn it on, the red light comes on, 2-3 seconds later, the light turns to blue. All that is normal. However, if I pick a note, the sound is distorted, then the light turns back to red and the sound dies completely. Mute the string, and it turns back to blue. It can be fixed under warranty, I called the authorized service center, they told me to bring it in. 50 mile drive each way. So that's what I will do. It did sound OK when it was working, but it seemed a bit sterile sounding to me, I think I prefer the sound of my Nashville 112.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Bill,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I am curious as to how the repair/turnaround time is, if you're so inclined to report back on that.

All info and opinions are appreciated :D .
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I just received 2 new speakers for my speaker cabinets from TC Furlong last week, and matched up with my MB 500 and RP 155 they sound amazing.For anyone who likes using 12" neo's these are a great choice, 300 W, 8ohm with a 4" voice coil made by eminence for TC. I wont knock any other speaker but for me so far it's what i've been looking for in a speaker. I'm not a salesman for TC just a happy cutomer whanting to share some info.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

This is very strange. I was about to take the amp in for repair today, but thought I should test it first. Anyway, it's now working again. I had tried it 5-6 times before today and had the problem, now it works. I am going to leave it on all day and see if it has anything to do with it overheating. We'll see.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

What type of cord are you using to connect to the speaker? One of our club members was experiencing a similar problem and turned out to be the speaker cable and the wire in the speaker. He had used too small wire inside the speaker and a guitar cord to connect from the MB200 to the speaker.

You need at least #16 inside the speaker and at least #16 speaker wire or "zip" cord NOT guitar cords for the speaker connection.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Jack, I used a couple of different speaker cords, I made them myself from zip cord. I should probably take a good look at the cords, maybe one is defective.