Don't Come Home A-Drinkin'

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Don't Come Home A-Drinkin'

Post by b0b »

Who played steel on Loretta Lynn's hit "Don't Come Home A-Drinkin'"? Was it Hal Rugg or Pete Drake? At first I thought Hal played on all of her hits, but listening to it I think it might be Pete.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Rugg
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

My dad always sang "Don't come home a lovin' with drinkin' on your mind" :)
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

For sure..Mr Rugg
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Pete did play on at least one of her records, "Fist City". Hal and Don Helms both played on some album cut she had; Owen Bradley must have had a wild hair that day. Seems like I remember that Speedy West played on some of her stuff when she was on the Zero label in Washington State.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Alot of people don't know that Don Helms played on her 1st record..I'm the other woman...
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Alot of people don't know that Don Helms played on her 1st record..I'm the other woman..
Really like that song. Was that an answer to Price's song?
C#
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I always thought Speedy played on her first record. "I'm Just A Honkytonk Girl". Jody.
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

C# - tho possible, based on the dates of the recordings, I'm doubting there's that kind of reciprocal relationship ('63/LL '65/RP).
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

The intro, fills, and solo in "Don't Come Home..." are really something special. -lovely dissonant intervals and a real nice percussiveness to the whole vibe on the steel parts. It was a treat to study the song and get a bit closer to what's going on as our band did a cover of the tune for a brief while.
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

-here's a link to a you tube, live TV appearance of Loretta and band doing the tune. It's not exactly the original steel parts, but right there in the spirit... and even more space than in the original. What fun, -and- a surprise cameo at the end of the segment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnkAkmLtaw :D
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I think it's Hal Rugg on "Don't come home...", sounds a too busy for Pete Drake....Jerry
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

From an Interview with Hal:

Interviewer: "I’ve got to mention that great intro you did with Loretta on "Don’t Come Home A Drinking With Loving On Your Mind", is a classic".

Hal: "Thank you very much; that was a lot of fun. Owen Bradley, who was Loretta’s record producer, always seemed to have the ability to pull the best out of you. He’d asked you for an intro, and if it wasn’t right, he’d say, "You did that last week. Do something else." So I’d just fool around until I found something that seemed to work. He’d say, "That’ll work." So then I’d know I had the right thing."

http://www.ntsga.com/id80.html
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hey Al,

Thanks for that link! Way cool to hear Hal go for it. That's the difference between him in a live situation and in the studio where he's more restrained. What a great player. I think that intro might have been the first time the middle position (E-FKL, 11th fret if in C) was used for an intro lick.

Joe
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

And Bil Monroe handling the backbeat !
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Ernest Cawby

Hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I have it recorded that Don Helms said he did the steel on WALKING AFTER MIDNIGHT.

ERNIE
b0b

Post by b0b »

By Loretta Lynn? I've never heard that.
Wesley Medlen

who is the steeler

Post by Wesley Medlen »

Don Helm's told me he did the steel on Walking After Midnight with Patsy.
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

How did this shift from "Don't Come Home a Drinkin" to "Walking After Midnight"?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

"Don't Come Home A-Drinkin' After Midnight" Loretta sings Patsy Cline's Faves :lol:
C#
Bernie Gonyea

Loretta Lynn's " Don't Come Home A Drinkin' "

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:whoa: :whoa: :roll: :roll: :D :D

I had the privelege of seeing a concert at a County Fair one summer here in Franklin Cty, N.Y., featuring Loretta. The entire two hour show was done with a pouring down rain storm; The band was covered with a large canopy; keeping the rain off the musicians and Loretta; Jimmy Crawford was filling in for her regular steel player; what a fabulous job he did on all her numbers. Exactly like her records, One of the best Country shows I have ever seen. Thanks for the info, Cal and the rest of you..Regards..Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

OK Cal. Take your meds and go back to your room. :D :D
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bill Howard

It's Hal Rugg look in ...

Post by Bill Howard »

Hal Rugg played on all Loretta Lynn recordings.
there is even a blurb about it in the Winnie Winston book... that recording had Hal Written all over it:).
Here is is one of my favorite Loretta songs This is Leon Rhoades that played for Ernest Tubb I think
http://youtu.be/WxVewDLb_34
One of the best Lead rides I ever heard loved his Echoplex
Joe Naylor

Great thread

Post by Joe Naylor »

Hal showed me the "Don't come home - song as he called it and said well that's about right - that's how I put in the record - and gave me that half smile.

Great man - I miss him all the time. I was putting strings on a Desert Rose we just finished the night before - someone came in the shop and I did not pay any attention just kept tuning the steel. I start "tryin to play somethin" and all of the sudden I heard this voice that said, "close - one more time and you got it" - it was Hal - I do not remember the song now but I simply ask how it went and he said - "Well the first time we layed it down it was - and he told me - then he said the second time I was not feeling well so it was ---- then for another time I just wanted to change it a little" - he paused and then said, "this is what cracks me up when someone ask about a record I played on and I ask Whick Time"

I still don't know if he was messin with me or being straight with me but it just does not matter.

Great memory

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Clarence Musolf

Post by Clarence Musolf »

I think I still have the Tab on this song that Hal wrote for me when I had him for a teacher , one on one . I will look and see if I still have it . If anyone would like it , let me know .

crmusolf@peoplepc.com .