suggestions? for scratch drums

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I need to lay down some scratch drum parts on a demo. Later, a live drummer will be brought in. But I'd like to put some percussion onto some tracks. Is there a way to trigger drum sounds onto a track using my mac keyboard? I'm running PT 9. I have no drum machine or anything like that. I could maybe import it into Garageband and do it. Any ideas?

P.s. I realize that this will not sound that good or natural.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

You can do it pretty easily in Garageband using either loops from their loop browser or by using the Mac keyboard.

In the version I've got (4.1.2), you get to the loop browser by clicking the "eye" icon, lower left of the main window:
"All Drums" is a good place to start.

Or if you want to play your own beat, try creating a new track, choose Software Instrument, and then over on the right side choose a drum kit from the list. Then choose Musical Typing from the Window list (or hit Shift-Command-K). You may have to shift octaves (keys Z and X) to find the sounds you're looking for.

Hope this helps.
John Phinney

Post by John Phinney »

I run PT 8 and while I have used BFD and Strike to add scratch drums, I still like to use Garageband for making scratch drums due to the easy to see GB MIDI GUI.

Here's a run through of how I do it:

Set up a GB session with the same tempo and meter that you tracked the demo to. (If you didn't track the demo to a click stop reading here and I would suggest looking up Beat Detective in the Pro Tools Reference Guide). Import your PT mixed tune (I usually bounce to disc as an MP3 for this purpose due to the smaller file size) into GB, you can drag and drop the file right into GB and it should create a new track for the MP3. Create a new instrument track in GB, choose a drumset as the instrument (now you have the imported MP3 as a track and an empty instrument track). Choose a simple MIDI drum loop (or make your own) and drag and drop it into the instrument track (MIDI drum loops are usually color coded green on my older version of GB). Click on the icon that looks like an eye so you can do some editing of the selected track in the lower half of the window. Now you can move around the "blocks" and set up a simple drumbeat. I usually work in 4 measure patterns to keep it manageable. When you get the drumbeat pattern done copy and paste it over and over for as long as you want the pattern to go. You can create other patterns for chorus and/or bridge parts as well as add fills where you want them, experiment with swing, etc. For the imported MP3 track make sure you disable snap to grid if you need to trim the beginning of the track, or want to slide it around to match the beginning of your drum scratch. Mute the MP3 track and export the GB session to iTunes. Import that audio back into PT and match it up with the click.

Hope that helps. Seemed easier before I wrote it out ;-)
GFI Ultra D-10 8x5/Sarno Freeloader/Telonics volume pedal/Fender Super Six Split Cab with a 1x15 BW
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

I like using BFD in ProTools. It's dead simple and sounds great.
David Winfrey

Post by David Winfrey »

Tom,
I have to plead ignorance on Garage Band even though I use an iMac in my studio. I'm running ProTools 8.04 (upgrading to 9 as soon as I have time). However, I have found that EZDrummer with their Nashville expansion pack gives you a wonderful sound. It may not replace a live drummer, but can be studio quality sound. Both the program software and the expansion pack can be found for under $200 combined.
I've used it on several recordings instead of a live drummer with surprising success.
Regards,
David
Equipment list in a constant state of flux
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Bryan and John are spot on for scratch drums but I have to admit I'm an EZD addict for loops but I have to also say the drum sounds in thr PT midi tone generator are outa sight too!!!
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Tom Wolverton

Many thanks

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Thanks to all for the tips. It is pretty clear there are many ways to skin this cat. Scott - are you talking about the drum sounds in Xpand ?
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

yup...Xpand has some really good sounds...In pro tools you can record a measure manually with a click and then duplicate that measure for how ever long you need. (if you have a midi device like a keyboard or drum pad.)
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Plus one for EZ Drummer. Great sounds, fun.
Tom Wolverton

Thanks everyone

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I went with Xpand (already had it in PT9) and I am triggering it with an Akai LPD8. Works well and is very easy and the tones are pretty realistic. Now, all I need is talent. Not much of a "finger drummer". I also hear that knowing how to use Beat Detective and the elastic stuff in PT really helps. What a distraction this stuff can be! : )