1971 Push Pull

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keith Hilton

1971 Push Pull

Post by Keith Hilton »

I just purchased a 1971 Emmons push pull. It is an awesome looking "BLACK" thing, with 9 floor pedals an 5 knee levers.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

:)
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

How does it sound?
Kevin Gallagher

Emmoms p/p

Post by Kevin Gallagher »

May I ask what you paid for it? Any pix? (I have one as well.)
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

Welcome to the club Keith!

now all you need is a vintage Sho Bud to complete your collection :D
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

A 71 D-10 PP (Black of course) is what I had. S/N 1464D. I sold it to a guy in KC, after I got my Franklin, and then it went through a couple of other KC pickers. Last I heard it had been stolen from a club in Kansas City back in the late 80's or early 90's.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have a 1971 p/p, s/n 1526D.
It is red lacquer with wood necks and at one time it belonged to Doug Jernigan.
He had it built with 11 foot pedals and 7 knee levers.
I asked Doug about it and he said that it was his guitar at one time.
It's in rather rough condition at present and I plan to restore it to its original glory.
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Jack If I could have a bud that played as nice as yours I would own won!!!!!!!
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Mark Greenway

I bought one too. Here's a picture of mine.

Post by Mark Greenway »

I bought this one about a year ago and I love it. I have had several guitars, but none of them were a push pull, and this p/p is by far my favorite of them all.
9 pedals and 8 knee levers. I paid $3,000 for it. Keith,I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. If I were to sell mine, I would be asking $3700.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

When Paul Franklin Senior worked at Sho Bud they had an Push Pull they studied in the factory. I was at the Factory when Paul was telling me how Sho Bud was trying to get their guitar to sound like the Push Pull. I was recently told Bud Carter had an old Push Pull he refered to. I am pretty sure many of the modern guitar builders paid close attention to the HOLY GRAIL. I have names for all of my guitars. One of them is named--"THE BLADE II" I think I am going to name this 1971 push pull--"The BLACK HOLY GRAIL".
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

keith...having given your guitars pretentious names, we will be waiting for some demonstration indicating the deservedability of the blood line.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

When I got my 1971 Rosewood Push Pull I called it "THE SPADE" because when I sit behind it I sound like dirt! :eek:
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

It is "ALL" about tone. When you play your guitar can you hear that special something, that magic? Those who have been around steel guitars for many years can hear greatness. Most guitars work great mechanically, but few guitars can create magic.
Marc Orleans

Here's to '71

Post by Marc Orleans »

I have 1499d it's a rosewood satin mica 8 and 4 guitar. The tone is huge! I really love the Emmons push pull! Now I feel I have to work extra hard to feel that my playing warrants such an awesome instrument.

Enjoy your new ride my friend!
D10 '71 Emmons Pushpull, D8 '55 Fender Stringmaster, 1940s Gibson 6 string lap steel, 90s dobro USA Gibson.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

marc..that's the right attitude.when i got my best steel i felt the same way. finally had a guitar that was capable of greatness if i could just rise to the task. so i got a little better anyway!

and keith,too...it's very cool and inspiring when you can feel and hear the magic.
Lynn Stafford

'71 Emmons

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Marc,

I'm glad you're happy with your Emmons you bought from me. I knew you'd be pretty happy with the sound. Keith was actually interested in it, prior to you buying it but he decided to wait a while...
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Marc Orleans

'71 Emmons p/p

Post by Marc Orleans »

Thanks guys,
I'd like to add that the guitar that was revised by Lynn plays great and is super stable. I can only attest to the fine job Lynn has done with this guitar. He's been a champion every step of the way. So thanks.

Again I'm happy to experience playing such a responsive and beautiful instrument!

All the best to you Lynn.
D10 '71 Emmons Pushpull, D8 '55 Fender Stringmaster, 1940s Gibson 6 string lap steel, 90s dobro USA Gibson.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Keith,
I have a '71 (but mines rosewood) and it has more sustain than any guitar i've ever set behind. Let me say I think you've gotcha a goodun!

Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

My like new 1975 Emmons rebuilt by Lynn Stafford! This is the best sounding one I have ever owned!

Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

My 1971 push pull was Jack Kondora's guitar. Jack recently died. I took Jack's place in the big Gospel Show-(Diamond Bill Smith's Cross Band)- when Jack cut his fingers with the table saw. Jack loved steel guitar, and he was a good friend of mine. I will feel Jack's presence when I am playing this guitar. I know Jack will be smiling down from Heaven when I play this guitar. Jack never told me where this guitar came from. The leg pouch has "Steel Guitar Nashville" sewed on it. Someone out there in Steel Guitar Land must know the story of Jack's guitar?
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Sam knows the story of that guitar & equipment Keith.
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

my '71 emmons pp :)

Last edited by Johan Jansen on 21 Jun 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I own #1478, black D-10 and believe it or not, it sounds pretty good.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Before I bought this guitar I did some research. From talking to many guys into Emmons guitars, the best sounding guitars were made from 1971 to 1974.
I had a 1966 push pull that sounded really good. I have also heard many Emmons guitars made after 1974 that sounded wonderful. Of course it is just an opinion, but the hard core Emmons tone freeks I have talked to say the years 1971 to 1974 were the tone monster years. No one can tell me "WHY" these were the best years. Does anyone know why?
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

My Goodness that 81 looks good JJ !!! :D It sounds pretty good too! IMHO!

http://youtu.be/JiCFKVmz_hE

Let's hear you on it soon!! :wink: