The joke known as "CMT Awards"

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Theresa, I don't hear any of it on any "country" station in central Florida. If they played a mix like WSM does I'd listen more. The mix that WSM plays is not what is played at many stations.

Most stations have a very limited play list and it's almost all the current Top 10 or 20 songs.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

What's a Bieber?
I'm not sure I know what a Bieber is, but it was simultaneously on no less than nine Dish channels last weekend pushing pimple cream …. :\
Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 16 Jun 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Crickmore

Post by George Crickmore »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:I think Jamie Johnson & Willie have earrings.
I don't have a favorite rap artist. I did enjoy Jason & L singing live. Loved Jay's steel playing! :)
The only guys that should be wearing earrings are guys like Joe Nichols. Why,,,, because of his heritage.
Excel S-10,2 Williams 700 Universals,Jackson Blackjack Custom,, Goodrich LDR2 & Hilton Vol pedals,Monster 3500pro power conditioner, Morgan SW100 amp & Cab
George Crickmore

[quote="Ray Minich"]What's a Bieber?[/quote

I think it is something you flush ..... :lol:
Excel S-10,2 Williams 700 Universals,Jackson Blackjack Custom,, Goodrich LDR2 & Hilton Vol pedals,Monster 3500pro power conditioner, Morgan SW100 amp & Cab
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Jack,
I only listen to WSM when the Opry is on. I listen to 3 country stations here and they play traditional country by new artist and older artist. To bad your station isn't playing it, you're missing out.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Theresa, that is the trend in many stations. I was in Kansas City two years ago and all the "Country" stations there only played "current" music. The play lists for many stations is very limited and the DJ's (if they even have a live DJ) are restricted to only playing what is on the play list. Many stations do not have a DJ staff, it's a feed from somewhere else.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I happened to catch part of a rerun of the CMT Awards show today. The first thing that came to mind was how it seemed presented like a wrestling show. All kinds of things going on, the audience totally involved and being shown an integral part of the show.

And Kid rock and Gary Busy?
Country as we know it is gone. Forever.
heavily medicated for your safety
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:It always has been about commerce Barry.
The stuff Gregg cut his teeth on is still being recorded. You guys aren't listening so you don't know. :)

Amen to that, Greg is a guitar player, I assume he would say he likes Country music but he is a very well rounded musician and that's why he is successful, he plays GUITAR and his abilities to play across several genres are why he is STILL a guitar player . Greg didn't learn to play in all those different modes by listening to 3 chord traditional country music all day long.... No, I don't know Greg personally but I understand his playing and what it took for him to get to where he is today...

The awards shows that come on TV are about today's music , whats on the charts right now, not what was on the charts 40 years ago. Don't watch it... it's that easy... I don't..

t :lol:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Barry Blackwood

The awards shows that come on TV are about today's music , whats on the charts right now, not what was on the charts 40 years ago.
That wouldn't bother me at all, as long as "today's music" still had at least some resemblance to country music. It takes more than guys with intentionally crushed or painted cowboy hats and shirts with the sleeves torn off to make it country. There was a time I used to watch these shows with some kind of optimism, but not anymore. With the addition of the rock element, country music has devolved into something I don't even recognize. That's all well and good I suppose, but let them call it by some other name.
George Crickmore

The majority of the music that is considered country is does not have a drop of country in it....

It is like the Opry.. Seems like to be a member of the Opry all you have to be able to do is hold a microphone.
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

I enjoyed some of it minus the rap parts, felt bad for Shania when she fell.
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Shania fell down?? Was there at least one gentleman there to help her up? lol

I liked the Jason Aldean rap portion of his new tune..

not much different than effin' really
George Crickmore

Bo Borland wrote:Shania fell down?? Was there at least one gentleman there to help her up? lol

I liked the Jason Aldean rap portion of his new tune..

not much different than effin' really
Don't you mea CRAP music....
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

The Shania fall thing, I only saw it on the News but she could have easily broke her leg. She was walking out on the runway towards the stage, my guess is that there was water or something on the floor and she went right down..no warning nothing to break her fall. I suspect 80% of the people in the hall didn't even know she fell, she got up, probably in some real pain and just continued on...I gotta say, it looked ugly...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I don't feel sorry for people who watch awards shows and then complain about how the quality of entertainment has declined.
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I felt bad for Shania, too! I'm glad she was ok, she was classy about it.
I enjoyed most of the CMT Awards & looking forward to the next award show! :)
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

MIke Neer writes:
We all have to adapt. I'm not saying that we need to accept and like the music, but we have to accept that things change and we get left out of the loop.
Nor is any required to accept and change. If you can't or won't, try what I do: detach from it with these words (to yourself or [better] out loud): "This has nothing to do with me," and carry on with what you do like.

I've been doing (and enjoying) this for quite some time now; life's a hell of a lot nicer!
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

PS (in paraphrasal appreciation of Mark Twain): I wouldn't want to be in any loop that . . . wouldn't... want me as a member.
Barry Blackwood

Good advice, James! :)
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

I don't watch it.
I don't intend to watch it.
I don't listen to the newer crap music.
I don't care.
AND...at my age I listen to what I want to, play what I want to, and like I said, don't even care who cares. I listen to traditional country and a LOT of swing. Probably because that's what I grew up on and have played for a million years. I ain't missin' nuthin'....
Greg Stasny

Post by Greg Stasny »

Barry Blackwood wrote:With the addition of the rock element, country music has devolved into something I don't even recognize. That's all well and good I suppose, but let them call it by some other name.
That is the crux of most of the complaints; not that the current artists should "go away", but that the hijacking of the country music label does discourage or hamper any artist not wanting to perform what is considered today's industry mainstream music.
I'll re-use the analogy "don't feed me fish (even if I like it), but tell me it's a steak". It's insulting.
Meanwhile, I just bought the new Jake Hooker CD, "One Man World". Recorded in Nashville (well, actually Madison), it features Doug Jernigan on steel, Pig Robbins on piano, Pete Wade on guitar, and from TX (besides Jake), Bobby Flores, Jim Loessberg, and Randy Lindley. Good stuff.
Leigh Howell

Calling todays country, country.

Post by Leigh Howell »

I agree completely with what Greg posted! He covered what I would have said! Call most of todays country something else. A teenager says I love country!! Wrong!! They aren't aware of what it is!
Leigh
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

I don't normally post on this kind of thing, but I'll tell you one thing that's in our favor (traditional country)and we hear it all the time and we keep pretty busy, is that they can't hear what we play on todays radio, so they come to where we are workin' to hear it. I know it sounds like I'm sugarcoating things, but it's fact. D W
Doyle Weigold

Post by Doyle Weigold »

I don't normally post on this kind of thing, but I'll tell you one thing that's in our favor (traditional country)and we hear it all the time and we keep pretty busy, is that they can't hear what we play on todays radio, so they come to where we are workin' to hear it. I know it sounds like I'm sugarcoating things, but it's fact. D W
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Greg,
Couldn't agree with you more. The CMA's are a disgrace and an embarassment to Nashville's real traditional country music fans. :x

Nick