Seeking advice on local CL steel guitar ads

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Blake Wilson

Seeking advice on local CL steel guitar ads

Post by Blake Wilson »

Hi all,

I'm in the market to move from lap to pedal. There are two Sho-Bud Mavericks available locally (Denver metro) on Craigslist:

1. http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2421875803.html

After checking some pricing on the list, $799 for a Maverick seems outrageous, and the seller seems to think that getting a decent student model for "under $1,000" is unlikely. Shouldn't a Maverick run around $500-600?

2. http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/msg/2378851936.html

This may be the same guitar as #1. Again, this looks like an inflated price.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Blake Wilson
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

the seller seems to think that getting a decent student model for "under $1,000" is unlikely
well Blake, you can this one brand new w: 4 levers ( that the Mav does'nt have) for 950 $
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/
the Mav in the first link usually sell cheap around 350/450$
budget's the boss...
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Shouldn't a Maverick run around $500-600?
I'd say..........

At best.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Yes, it's overpriced for a Maverick. Plus they only have 1 knee lever and you should get something with no less than 3 and preferably 4 knees. There are other student models you can buy for under a grand that will take you a lot further. Do a Forum search and you'll find lots of info on them.
John Turbeville

Post by John Turbeville »

plus the changer sucks......

i have a stage one it works very well and stays in tune. theres a wait for the new ones, so they do well used +/-800-900 including shipping, but they are very light sound good and play well.
Blake Wilson

Post by Blake Wilson »

Thanks, friends.

Yes, I've been looking at the Stage One model. Looks good.

Blake
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

I'm a Sho~Bud guy, and I'd advise you to steer clear of a Maverick at any price. Some of the earlier ones can be fixed up to play and sound pretty well, but if you're just starting out the last thing you want is a project guitar.

A Carter Starter isn't what you want, either.

You would not regret buying a Stage One now, or ever. Lotsa guitar for the money, that Stage One.
Johnny Thomasson
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Blake,I saw that Maverick ad too,and almost flagged/flamed it.That kind of pricing is an outright con.There aren't any retail steel outlets in our area,but you should look up Dick Meis' website-he's pretty much the dean of the local steel community and a marvelous resource for all things PSG hereabouts.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Of course, those contact-paper Mavericks are way overpriced (IMHO). I wouldn't pay any attention to what sellers say about 'other' guitars - they have a conflict of interest because they want to move their guitar. If it was, let's say, an Emmons push-pull starter model with 4-5 changes (pedals/levers) in good shape, $800 might make more sense, and sometimes they are worth adding a lever or two. I wouldn't pay more than $300-400 for a contact-paper Maverick, maybe $500 for one of the earlier curly maple ones.

If you're patient, you can find older professional-grade pedal steels in the $1000 range on this forum's For Sale pages. Typical brands: BMI, Dekley, MSA, and others. These are good guitars - maybe not 'flavor of the month', but very solid. Sometimes even a nice Carter S-10 will show up for not a whole lot more than that. But you gotta' do your research, talk to sellers or ask a question in the Pedal Steel section whenever something like this pops up, maybe let some pass if you're not sure, be very patient, and then when one that is obviously right comes up, grab it. Sorta like fishin'.

Of course, something like a Stage One or GFI starter is a good guitar too. I you want something newer and small, that would probably be a good bet. Myself, I'd wait for one of the lesser-money pro steels, but I'm tall and the student models are just too small for me, at least all the ones I've sat behind.

My take, anyway.
Blake Wilson

Post by Blake Wilson »

Thanks again for the help fellows.

So, what constitutes a "student" model? Size? Features? Both? I am 6'2", btw.

Blake
Chas. J. Wagner

Post by Chas. J. Wagner »

Blake..
Here's a thread on "pro vs student" guitars...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... dent+model
As with many threads, there's some kidding going on but there are also some helpful comments.
Blake Wilson

Post by Blake Wilson »

Thanks for the tip to the thread Chas. One of my main concerns is size. I don't want a "small" guitar, leading to my next question: is size all about scale length? Are student guitars shorter than pro? What makes a pro axe "bigger" than a student?

Blake
Allen Winkelman

patience pays off

Post by Allen Winkelman »

I'm still a newbie but my advice is to read as much here as you can check the links on this page also for the dealers nationwide to get an idea about prices and take your time. That way you may have a little more money saved to get the guitar you like. It will have decent resale value also if you bail out later. My opinion although I'm new to this also is try to get a used pro guitar in good mechanical shape although i have heard good things about the stage one, I can't comment personally. I took my time and got a very good deal on a d10 msa that I really like. Ask questions also, there are some very experienced folks here. Good luck!!
msa d10 classic
ernie ball vp
old peavey classic amp
Anton Gerard violin
stubborm desire to improve
I FEEL MORE LIKE I DO NOW THAN I EVER HAVE!
Daniel J. Cormier

Post by Daniel J. Cormier »

The best thing about Those mavericks is the keyhead, pedals and the wood the body is made of. 400.00 to 600.00 can buy you a carter starter. Aleast you would have 4 knee'levers. Dougs Stage One is the best student guitar on the Market JMHO.
1200.00 to 1400.00 can buy you a good s-10 pro model Used but not abused.
Daniel J. Cormier
Rittenberry with Tone to the bone,profex or tubefex and what ever amp, hilton pedal, BJS bars. Email at kajunsteelman@yahoo.com.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Blake...Most pedal steels have a normal scale length of 24" to 24 1/4", so the term "small" may be misleading. This is refering more to the height of the guitar. The standard height for most pedal steels is around 26" from floor to the bottom of the endplates, which may be uncomfortable for taller players. There are however kits available for most guitars to raise the guitar to a more desirable height....FWIW..Here's another positive vote for the "Stage One".