Zane King's PEDAL GUITAR "Country"Demo

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Zane King

Zane King's PEDAL GUITAR "Country"Demo

Post by Zane King »

Just another quick update on my PEDAL GUITAR. I wanted to give you just a brief exhibit on the "country" side of this guitar. I'm still hacking away right now but I think you will see beyond my inexperience of learning the instrument the tremendous potential this contains.

Keep in mind this is a unique tuning that I have on this with 8 strings, 4 floor pedals and 4 knee levers. I will be sharing all of that soon.

In reality what I am really excited to share with you is the "Jazz" flare of this Pedal Guitar. WOW! It is so fun and I truly believe it contains some music in that genre.

TAKE A LISTEN....CLICK HERE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AlA0JykVA
Last edited by Zane King on 15 Jun 2011 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Zane

WOW! That is so cool, reminiscent of Thumbs Carlisle only better. I played with Thumbs a couple of times and he would have totally dug this thing.

KE
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

I just updated the video. A bit better quality on this cut....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AlA0JykVA
Zane King
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Thanks Kirk! Thumbs has been a huge influence on my inspiration. I watch all things I can on his work. I got to see him play a few times when I was just a kid. I also have been watching on You Tube all of Jeff Healey's work.
Zane King
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Mercy, Mercy Zane! :) Shoot dat tang! ;-) Fine pickin' for sure...Enjoyed it...Carl
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

as i watched the clip and listened, i thought of a time when i watched a young sane king, "the kid" play at zane becks house. this is the kinda stuff he would love to tinker with, especially tunings.
he would be so happy with this.

country...............
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I like it. What scale length is it ?

Tony
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

May I just say...........WOW!!
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Wally Taylor wrote:May I just say...........WOW!!
+1
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Thank y'all for the comments! I can't wait to share more! Especially some of the more jazzy things I'm trying out on this thing.

That's very cool comment Jack Harper. I sometimes just smile when I'm playing because I know Zane Beck would indeed approve of my innovations with tunings, structure, and playing ideas.

Tony W. - the scale is 26.5. I am going to go into some detail later on about the structure and tuning. I'm just trying to create a bit of interest in it right now as far as the potential of how can be played. To me, it has the potential of having it's own unique character. While it will certainly sound the most like an electric guitar there is no doubt because of the pedal steel pedals, knee levers, and tuning that it is akin to a steel guitar. Also, because of the tuning I am designing for it most any steel guitarist will be able to sit down to it and start playing something right away.
Zane King
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:eek: BOING!!! AWESOME ZANE,by all means post MORE playing on that errrrrr....stratosteel (?)...Stormy :D
Ivano Malavasi

Post by Ivano Malavasi »

Fantastic !!! :eek:
Ricky Thibodeaux

Post by Ricky Thibodeaux »

All I can say is.....AWESOME DUDE
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Smoken :lol: :D :D [/b]
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Appreciatin' the compliments! I can't wait to share more on this Pedal Guitar. Stratosteel someone called it! Love that. Some of the Jazz/Swing type stuff is really coming together. Already, my Dad and I are on to the next version. This is a very good prototype but we feel we are on to some things during this process that will just be absolutely great in the performance of the guitar.

Stay tuned!!!

ZK
Zane King
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:D Stayed tuned I will!! You're on to somethin way cool here Zane.....ROCK ON bro.....Stormy....ps, glad u liked the "stratosteel" naming, seemed like a no-brainer from lookin at it hehehe, keep it comin !!!!! :mrgreen:
Peewee Charles

Great job

Post by Peewee Charles »

Awesome playing Zane......blew me away.... www.myspace.com/peeweecharles
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:D COOL, I used listen to you mucho Peewee, when u were with Ian and Sylvia and with Lightfoot , good to know you're still kikin it. Hey did Donny Buzzard play before or after you in Tyson's band??....Stormy :mrgreen:
Peewee Charles

Thanks

Post by Peewee Charles »

Thanks Storm...appreciate it...Not familiar with Donny Buzzard, must have been after my time...Man, sure like what Zane is doing....very cool stuff...I usually put a nut on a Strat and play it lap style....Very cool stuff Zane....
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Thanks, Peewee! I'm glad you listened. Have you checked out the more rock sounds of this Pedal Guitar? This was only like one day after I put strings on it so nothing really musically sound here but it does show the potential of the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz97VV2NQ6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRG2U05BGYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHXi-reQbQ4
Zane King
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:D Zane, that's some very cool jams , you're an inspiration for anyone who listens...pick on bro....Stormy :D
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I WANNAAA DO THAAAAAT!

Seriously, Zane, your new guitar is one of the things that might help to bring the "pedal" steel into the future. Instead of having one big "finger" on their left hand, players would now have the same number of fingers as a standard guitarist, with the same freedom to change the pitch of any string. With pedals and knee-levers to retain the "bending" capabilities of the current steel design, plus the option to use a bar when you want to, the possibilities could be endless. I look forward to hearing more about it.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Storm - Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement!!!

L.A.Wunder - this is indeed what I am thinking. As you may have seen from some of my early demos with this instrument you can see that using it as a slide is easily accomplished. Ultimately, this Pedal Guitar can stand on it's own and have a place in most any musical genre. However, just consider how many youngsters who are attempting to learn standard guitars might be drawn to this instrument because of it's capabilities. With the tuning (and I will present that soon) it is honestly fairly easy to learn. The bottom line is that from a youngster's perspective this thing can just simply do so much.

Next consider if this did catch on somewhat in the mainstream how much interest it might draw to the traditional steel guitar. Then also consider if this does catch on within the standard guitar community and we recruit younger generations to play these then steel guitar builders will have the advantage in building these Pedal Guitars.

I have some more exciting demos and a more detailed presentation coming on my PEDAL GUITAR!!!
Zane King
Ron Davis
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California... We're a mile high. ;)

Post by Ron Davis »

I'm thinkin' Jeff Healy woulda LOVED one of those...!
8)
Emmons 12 p/p, Revelation, Black Widows, (& way too many assorted goodies...)
Drummer with a pedal steel fantasy. ;)

www.LA-Zep.com
www.Desperado1.com
www.CMWChicagoTribute.com
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Good to hear from you Ron Davis! Yes, Healey is definitely an inspiration on this journey. I have struggled to find other players like Jeff Healey and Thumbs Carlisle. There has to be others that adopted that playing style. Any one know of any others?
ZK
Zane King