A Great Day In Marshfield Missouri

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Scott Henderson

A Great Day In Marshfield Missouri

Post by Scott Henderson »

Congratulations to Tery Wood and all the folks involved in the 1st Marshfield Steel Guitar Show. The day was a complete success. Thank you. It was great seeing all our old friends. I want to thank Kevin for playing bass for us. I am also amazed at the amount of talent I have around me. I brought my best buddies Ronie Blecher (drums) and Lonnie Patterson. (guitar) and they both kicked butt. Thanks guys! Mike, Keith, Jerry, Terry, and all the pickers were all on their game Saturday. Tyler Hall was a treat to listen to and you gotta a great right hand structure buddy. Keep on keepin on. The venue was excellent. The day was just a real treat. Thank you all again so much for the great music and more important the great friendship.

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Scotty, I can only imagine what a great time you all must have had yesterday, would have loved to have been there, WOW. Image

------------------
Fred Justice,
Fred's Music www.fredjusticemusic.com
Rains Steel Guitars

David Tunnell

Post by David Tunnell »

I want to second Scott Henderson's words of congratulations to Terry Wood. When Terry was thinking up the idea for this show, I don't think he or anyone else would have dared predicted that it would be as successful as it was. I talked to Terry a little bit during the day, and he was very pleased with the way things were going. He told me a couple of times that the show had "passed go". By that, I took it to mean that he had recouped his expenses for the show. I am so glad, because I want to see Terry have one of these every year. Terry, I'm willing to do whatever you need in way of help.

I want to thank Rob Parker, Mike McGee, and Tyler Hall for letting me play piano with them. Tyler is eighteen years old and lives in Alabama, and he is an awesome steel player. As Terry Wood said "The world is going to hear about Tyler Hall". After Tyler's set, I talked to his parents in the parking lot, who told me that Tyler has been playing piano a lot longer than he has been playing steel. I'm glad I didn't know that before Tyler's set, because I would have known that Tyler could trounce all over me on piano, if his steel playing is any indication.

I also want to thank Curtis Trent and Dalton Perryman for doing the sound, video and lights; Dalton and Rosalie Perryman for providing the wonderful Jubilee Theater; Rosalie and the kitchen staff for serving up some tasty hot dogs; Don and Joyce Hicks for helping get everybody where they needed to be when they needed to be there; and Don Hicks and Nicholas Inman for emceeing. Thanks to Kevin Haffey, Wayne Florang, Leon Lindsay, and Johnny Spaugh for serving as the backup band. Thank you to all of the bands (including my band, Heartland) and steel players for lending your talents to this venture. Most of all, thank you to all of the people who came to listen. Without people to listen, there would be no reason to play music. Keep an eye on the forum, because I'll bet that there'll be another one next year.

I know I harassed you all to death about this yesterday, but just to make sure that you know: I am having a free music show at the Jubilee Theater on Friday, July 21, 2006, at 6:00 p.m. This show is in support of my bid for Prosecuting Attorney of Webster County, Missouri. We will be serving free hot dogs and other food. My band, Heartland, with the fabulous Jimmy Burrell on steel, will be playing. In addition, the great DeWayne Bowman is coming over from Joplin to help with the singing and the guitar-playing. I also spoke with DeWayne's friend Haylie Walter, a fine female vocalist from Coffeyville, KS, and she indicated that she would be there too. Come on out, if you get a chance.

------------------
Very truly yours,
David T. Tunnell
Alesis QS8; Peavey KB/A 300; Peavey KB5; BMI U-12; Session 500

Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

Hey, Scotty, I'm glad you started this! I agree 100% with all the things that have been said so I'll not repeat them. What I do want to say, Scotty, you were a great asset to the show Sunday. You brought the show laughter, expertise on your instrument, and audience participation. I appreciate the way you play with confidence on your steel. You always seem to have such a good time during your set and that makes the crowd also have a good time.

Terry, thanks for inviting us. We were honored to have been a part of this first steel show. You are to be commended for organizing such a successful day! We enjoyed it immensely! Not to be critical, but I think all the musicians will say 'amen' to this. If there's a way to build a ramp up to the auditorium, I'll be glad to chip in and help out with the expenses!

And there's no way you can say thanks enough to Mike McGee and all the guys who carried our stuff to the auditorium and to our cars. Put Mike on the steel, the bass, or the heavy lifting, he excels. And what a tremendous personality he has. He never complains!

And I think it's such a remarkable thing that a professional,like Terry Bethel, would spend the day and lend all his knowledge as he talked to each of us about his life as a steel player. And what Terry doesn't know about steel isn't worth knowing. Wow! Such a GREAT player and a GREAT person!

Keith Hilton played good, in spite of his costume! (Ha) How can a guy see his fretboard with shades on. He's a case!

And what a delight for us to have our friend, Jerry Roller play! And can he play! He's such a smooth player and an exact player. His bar is always true, never sour. At a steel show in Hot Springs I heard Jerry sing and I was hoping he would sing yesterday. Maybe next time? It's real comical!

If you missed a ham sandwich on a crossiant bun you really missed it. And somebody made a tremendous apple pie! Thanks kitchen crew!

I could go on and on about the day, but let me end by saying thanks again to Terry for including us! Great job, Terry! Blessings on you!
Jerry and Venda
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

I finally have a few moments in my lazyboy to post an overdue thank you to my good friend Terry Wood and all the crew at Marshfield's Jubilee Theatre. A tremendous effort the first time out of the chute.

Thanks so much for the invitation. Terry, your surprise humbled me - not deserved, not needed, but something I will treasure.

I concur with the comments of Scotty, David, and Jerry. I cannot miss thanking the backup band one more time for the great job, not only on my set, but all day long. David, Kevin, Wayne, Leon, and Johnny... thanks so much for your help. We can't do these shows without you.

I sit here reflecting about all the TREMENDOUS players that I had the privilege of hearing in Marshfield on July 1st, 2006. Terry Wood, ya did GOOD!

I love trying to play this contraption, but when it's all said and done and the last note fades and the lights go out, my good memories are of the wonderful time spent visiting and laughing with some of the best people in the world. What a bond we steel pickers have! I cherish these friendships, both new and old, and I always look forward to getting together and doing it again.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Terry, thanks for the award you presented me. The award means a great deal to me and goes back many years. The memories are not of who played what, but of the good friends Beverly and I get to see and talk to. We all loved Terry Bethel for coming early and staying until the end. Terry Bethel is a great friend to have, and one of the best steel players in the world. I am trying to teach the turkey I brought on stage how to play drums. The turkey nodded his head when I ask if he liked Ray Price. The turkey nodded his head when I ask if he liked Johnny Bush. That is why we think this turkey may someday make a good 4/4 shuffle drummer. I told the turkey we would only allow him to bring a limited drum kit. We will only allow the turkey to bring a snare drum, high hat and bass drum. No cymbols or tom toms allowed. Tom toms----Mabe a turkey can't do without a tom.
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

I want to thank Terry for giving me the chance to play. I was more than suprised about the crowd turn out. I couldn't believe the amount of people when the show started.

I meet a lot of great steel players, and even better people. There was not a player there all day that was less than top-notch. I was blowed away! I appreciate David, and the rest of the band. They did a WONDERFUL job.

I appreciate all the comments and good advice I recieved. And a big thanks to my new buddy Terry Bethel. Terry is one of the nicest guys anyone could ask to meet.

I'm glad the show was a success, and hope I can see you guy's again... Image<font size="2">
------------------
"The Kid"
8&7 Fessenden, Session 500, Session 400, BJS, Goodrich LDR
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 03 July 2006 at 09:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Bethel

Post by Terry Bethel »

Terry Wood and all the gang at the 1st Marshfield Steel Guitar Show, I thank you all for letting me play and have such a great time visiting with everyone all day, it was a pleasure for me to be there.
Scotty Henderson you always play so good, great hands and a beautiful tone. Everytime I hear you, you sound better than the time before.
Fred Justice you missed a good show.
David Tunnel, thanks for all the help, if I lived there I would darn sure vote for you.
Jeremiah and Venda thanks for inviting me to the jam session Friday night, it is a pleasure to play in the same room with all of the players you had there. I don't get to jam with Mike McGee, Jerry Roller, Jeremiah Hanley, David Musgrave, Venda Hanley, the best time keeper on drums that I have ever jamed with. Lois you played the bass like it should be played. Rob Parker, I didn't know you played guitar so good, what else are you keeping a secret????
Terry Wood it was great to hear someone play a 14 string steel guitar, you and Bill Stafford are the only one's I have heard in a long time.
Mike McGee, what can I say except, you play so fine, I really appreciate you not only as a player but as a friend, and by the way, thanks for playing bass on my set, I loved your ride on the blues song.
Keith, I think you should keep the turkey, I thought he added a lot to your set.
To Tyler Hall, you are going to be one of the best players ever, you have great hands and a good imagination when it comes to playing the Steel Guitar. There is only one thing I would change if I were in your shoes, get rid of the Peavey 900 amp, and get you something an ordinary man can carry.
To everybody, THANKS I HAD A BALL,
Terry Bethel
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Terry Bethel, rub it in dad-blame-it, and I had an invitation from Terry Wood to play there too. But really I would have loved to be there with all you folks and friends but I had so much work to do and had to play this weekend as well, maybe next year buddy.
I did think about you all having all that fun back there while I was out in the shop working my Buns off, ha ha.
I'll see you and all the gang July 30th. Image

------------------
Fred Justice,
Rains Steel Guitars

Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Hi Everybody,

We never could have had this show without all the help. I really appreciate now what Scotty and all the others have been doing for the past years.

The show was a success because all of the great players and people who came and played and or supported and helped with it.

I loved all the players sets and wish I could have sit down and taken in everything that everyone was doing, but I was busy jumping through hoops. Thanks a million for all you done guys!

Next year we already have some great players coming that couldn't make it to this year's show. We will revamp though and it will most likely be at an earlier date. There were so many things going on and it was a warm one Saturday.

Thanks again to these wonderful players and people who helped us Terry Bethel, Keith Hilton, Mr. Fred Layman (Who will play next year if he desires), Mr. Rob Parker, Jerry and Venda Hanley, Tyler Hall, Mike McGee, Jack Musgrave, Jimmy Burrell, Jerry Roller, Scott Henderson, Dalton Perryman, Curtis Trent, Don and Joyce Hicks, Gary Atkinson, Leon Lindsey, Wayne Florang, Kevin Haffey, Don Tummons, Ron Blaker, Ernie Jackson, John Spaugh and any others that I may have forgot here. Couldn't have done it without everyone's help!

GOD bless you all, and GOD LORD willin'we will see you all next year at the 2nd Annual Marshfield Steel Guitar Show!

Terry Wood
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Hi Bill Cook,

The Kid done Superb! The audience and the players loved his set! I put him in the hot seat and he graduated, he passed to the next grade!

He just played fantastic!

GOD bless!

Terry Wood

Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Terry, man, you hit the ground running on the Marshfield "event". You put togther a great show. It was a pleasure playing with the backup guys you had on stage. I was so happy with the great audience turnout. I believe Marshfield will be a major steel show and I am honored to have been able to play the first one. I hope we did well enough that you will have us back. We got to visit with some friends and got to meet some new ones. Thank you for letting us play on your show. Again, our thanks go out to the backup guys and all of those who helped us handle the equipment. A big thanks to Jerry and Venda Hanley for their hospitality. The jam was sure a lot of fun. Fred, we did miss you and wish you could have been there, rub, rub!!! We hope we can do it again sometime.
Jerry and Carlene

(edit for spelling)<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 05 July 2006 at 05:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Terry,
I have an easy post here....I totally agree with the previous posts...great show..good crowd..If only my buddy out west..Mr. Fredrick Justice could have been there...scrape, scrape, rub ,rub...dig ,dig..hee hee...( we did miss you )
Thank you Terry for the invite..I enjoyed it immensly..getting to hob-nob with some of the greatest people in the country, and share the stage with them...and to visit with old friends, and meet new friends...my thanks to all the artists and staff and workers who helped to make the show a success...
I hope you will put me on the list for next year...thank you again...
Peace and love to all of you...

RP...'come on in'...<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by ROB PARKER on 03 July 2006 at 10:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dan E. Hoff

Post by Dan E. Hoff »

Terry...Would like to ask all you guys to remember the player who did'nt make it down to play on your show...Jim-Bob Sedwick, I understand suffered a heart attack last fri. nite, and is a Kansas City hospital..
At this time, I don' have any more info., but hope to find something out today..thanks
Tyler Hall

Post by Tyler Hall »

Terry Bethel, don't you pick on my amps...

Session 500 + Session 400= Session 900
aka "Peavey Deathmaster" Image<font size="2">
------------------
"The Kid"
8&7 Fessenden, Session 500, Session 400, BJS, Goodrich LDR
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Alright Rob, Jerry, that done it Image Terry Wood, If my invitation for this year will be extended to next year, I'll be there even if I have to hock something for gas, ha ha. It just ain't right, ya all havin all that fun and fellowship without me, ya all should be ashamed of youself's, ha ha.
On a more serious note, God bless ya all, a man couldn't have any better friends than you all!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Fred Justice,
Rains Steel Guitars

Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Terry,
Congratulations on a job well done. Wish I could have been there. I knew our "KID" would do well. He was so excited about getting to play for new faces he was ready to go weeks early. I am so happy your show was such a great success. Hopefully we can bring a larger contingent next year.
Bill<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Cook on 03 July 2006 at 10:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 03 July 2006 at 02:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Layman

Post by Fred Layman »

I would add an enthusiastic "second" to all of the posts above and thanks to Terry for putting my hometown on the steel guitar map! Terry did this one right! I think it was one of the best first shows I have ever attended.

Sorry i had to miss playing,Terry, with the broken left wrist The cast will be coming off on the 12th and I will start getting my chops in order for next year.

David Tunnel -- what a great piano player and budding steel player. He was the only person who made me nervous about playing. Being an attorney, I was concerned that he might sue me if I missed a note. But it is not going to be any better next year. If he wins the prosecuting attorney race, he may actually prosecute me if I miss a chord progression.

With regard to Terry Wood, I would like to come in from a slightly different direction: having put on thr Lexington Kentucky show for 20 years, I know all the background work that goes into a show months ahead of time. Then when a show is over, the players and audience simply walk away, but nearly a third of the work goes on after the show, moving the equipment, returning borrowed sound equipment, etc., etc.,etc. Thanks Terry for all you did in the background to make this show a resounding success!
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

Terry, thanks for having me on the show. It is very humbling to share the stage with such great players. playing steel shows always makes me nervous, but I always come away with fond memories that will last a lifetime. looking forward to visiting with many more friends at the Branson show in a few weeks. what a great part of the country to live in. it's still cool to play steel guitar and play real country music Image
Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

Tyler, You are a very musically gifted person. When you first came out I thought this would just be another kid that plays like grease lightning and that was all. But you really surprized me with the soul you put into the medium and slower country songs. You will be an inspiration to many steelers throughout your life and I hope you develop a style that will be reconized as Tyler Hall. Lloyd Green used to dazzle us every year with new styles that everyone tried to immulate. I only wish they would have miked your amplifier. It was hard to hear the clarity of and up front sound without it miked and sort of blended in with the band instead of being the lead instrument. Everyone was amazing at this show and Mike McGee had the most awesome sound of the day. That being said, maybe he may take a few dollars off my next lesson.... ha ha

p.s. Tyler, don't ever take any advise from Keith Hilton on your wardrobe.

------------------
Rick
Kline U-12, Nashville 112 and 1000, Hilton Volume Pedal

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 03 July 2006 at 09:42 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 03 July 2006 at 09:58 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 04 July 2006 at 09:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Atkinson

Post by Gary Atkinson »

I had a great time at the show.I'm allways nervous around all of the tremendous pickers that are there but,they allways make me feel at ease by being so friendly. I would also like to thank Jerry Hanley for the Hanky.Keith we DO NOT need another turkey in the band we got plenty.Thanks to you all,Gary Atkinson
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Well, I missed a good one darn it. Ya'll keep it up though and hopefully I can make the next one.

Miss Lana
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Thanks again to all of the fine players, singers and those who helped us to make this first show a success!

We are already gearing up and making plans for next year's show. GOD bless each of you!

Terry Wood
David Tunnell

Post by David Tunnell »

I want to thank Terry Wood, Terry Bethel, Tyler Hall, Fred Layman, Mike McGee, and all the rest for their kind words about me.

Terry Wood, be sure and keep me in the loop about next year's show. I'll help you all I can.

------------------
Very truly yours,
David T. Tunnell
Alesis QS8; Peavey KB/A 300; Peavey KB5; BMI U-12; Session 500