New MB200 Arrives!!!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

George - I think black speaker boxes are usually at least +1.5 dB louder than brown ones. : )
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The new Eminence EPS 15C, Neodymium speaker comes in at just under 8 lbs compared to the Sica's 6.6 lbs.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

I'd spend just a little more money to get this amp. It looks to have much more tone control, with the parametric EQ, and 300 watts into 4 ohm!

Looks like sheer sweetness to me!

:o
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Jim Sliff
Hmmm - seems to me I was one of the guys pushing bass amps as good steel amps 5-6 years ago, and most players disagreeing thinking the highs would be lacking.
You were not the only one! I had this sweet baby up for sale a few years back. Wish I still had it. A little heavy, but what a great sound!
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Well, the brown truck just delivered my MB 200 this morning. I had a chance to work with it and am impressed so far. I am using an older Toa floor monitor with a horn and 15" speaker ( not the best but it will have to do) Also played my Taylor T5 koa thru the MB 200 ( with a MXR Carbon Copy delay) and am very happy with the acoustic setting sound. I've played it at bedroom volume and will take it out to church 2x this weekend. I have a good feeling about running my Ritt thru this: everything is pretty straight forward, so I can concentrate on my playing. The price is right, too.
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I've had mine (MB 200 and 15" Sica) on the gig and did a session last night. I like the tone as well or better than anything I've ever used. Couldn't be happier. Cab. speaker and amp came in around $550 total. All thumbs up here.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Steve H.,

I think my Rittenberry has the finest tone of any of the guitars I've owned over the years. That was even more evident the first time I played through my MB200.

Congrats!
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Dave Harmonson wrote:I've had mine (MB 200 and 15" Sica) on the gig and did a session last night. I like the tone as well or better than anything I've ever used. Couldn't be happier. Cab. speaker and amp came in around $550 total. All thumbs up here.

Dave;
Where did you get your cab from?
Steve
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Steve English wrote:Steve H.,

I think my Rittenberry has the finest tone of any of the guitars I've owned over the years. That was even more evident the first time I played through my MB200.

Congrats!
Thanks, Steve. I have Larry Behm to thank for pushing me into buying the Ritt from Dennis Lee. One of the best instrument purchases I have ever done :D
Fractal FM9
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Steve, I got the cab on ebay from a buy it now post. It's listed as G115ST-E, Single 15" empty guitar speaker. 18"x18"x12". Base price is 79.00. I added the $16 metal screen and the $9 option for removable back. I cut the removable back down to around 5" and put it back on to form a tray on the back of the amp. I got a little tote back from Value Village for the amp, power and speaker cord and it fits perfectly into the tray.
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Dave Harmonson wrote:Steve, I got the cab on ebay from a buy it now post. It's listed as G115ST-E, Single 15" empty guitar speaker. 18"x18"x12". Base price is 79.00. I added the $16 metal screen and the $9 option for removable back. I cut the removable back down to around 5" and put it back on to form a tray on the back of the amp. I got a little tote back from Value Village for the amp, power and speaker cord and it fits perfectly into the tray.
Thanks
Fractal FM9
Chas. J. Wagner

Post by Chas. J. Wagner »

Steve...
Forumite Tommy Huff can build you a cabinet. He also has a cabinet that will house the speaker AND the MB200.
Here are pix of his 15" cabinet...he can do a 12" also...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=129182
Here are pix of his combo cab...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

Also, Fred Justice builds 12" and 15" cabs (scroll down)...
http://www.fredjusticemusic.com/id16.html
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

I decided to pull the trigger on the MB200. I've been using a Nashville 1000 as of late, but I still have a Session 400 Limited Wedge that I could rob the speaker for experimentation.

Now I just have to wait for the vendor to get the next shipment in.
U.S.A.F. 1978-1982
2005 Carter S12U 7x5
1978 Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8x4

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Jack says:
The new Eminence EPS 15C, Neodymium speaker comes in at just under 8 lbs compared to the Sica's 6.6 lbs.
Yep, the 300 watt Eminence EPS-15c weighs just over a pound more the Sica.(a whopping 7.9 lbs total) But what more and more folks are finding out is, for that extra pound in weight you get a whole lot more of warm, sweet tone. Usable tone!
The 250 watt Sica Premium Lite Bass speaker has a higher fs (resonance frequency) than the Eminence EPS-15c, indicating that it is a stiffer speaker. Also, the Sica has a 2.5 inch voice coil, as opposed to the Eminence 3.0 inch voice coil, for whatever that means to the individual.

Here are the specs for both:

Sica Premium Lite Series

Eminence EPS-15c

In general, the bigger speakers have lower resonant frequencies than smaller speakers. A higher resonant frequency indicates a lighter cone and/or stiffer suspension.

That may be what PF means when he describes the Sica as transparent and him not being able to get the "separation of notes" that he is accustomed to getting. It makes since that if a speaker is stiffer, the articulation would be lacking.

Eminence has spent a lot of time and research in these EPS-15c speakers, and it shows! Remember, they designed these speakers for us. The steel player. They are made here in the good old US of A in Eminence, Kentucky.

'nuff said!

Call Ray Walker and get one!

Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

does anyone know if they have them in 12" YET?
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

The SICA is available in 12". We also have an extended high end 15" at 350 watts with a 3" voice coil.

http://foxvintageamps.com/classic_green_013.htm

Yes SICA speaker were designed as bass speakers, but as mnay have found out they are are a great speaker. Curt does not like them, that his his preference. We have a lot of people out there that do. It is our speaker of choice for our tube steel amp. We tested many including the new Eminence.

Curt is quick to point out they were designed for bass. Well, so was the MB200. It is a matter of personal taste.

Here is just one comment on the 250 watt version of the SICA from the electronics section by Harold Dye:

Danny,
I replaced my BW with a Ken Fox Sica Neo and it reduced the weight of my NV 400 by about 11-12 lbs. That is a very noticable difference and I feel the tone is equal or better.
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

KEN FOX......

Thank you for your assistance & patience :) . Knowing that the SICA is a bass spkr is a selling point for me . I've already got my MB200 now just waiting to get a spkr to build into a cabinet .

I'm running out of room @ the house & really am hoping this GK can replace 7 PEAVEY amps that I've acquired . I wanted something that I could have to do triple duty (guitar , steel & for the occasional bass gig), and not break the back ..... the bank is already broke or I'd have had the SICA by now ! :roll:
Will be in touch soon .

Thanks ..... Bob V
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks Bob. I look forward to being of service to you and all in need of any help that I can offer.

Here is a clip of the the 350 watt speaker.

http://foxvintageamps.com/linked/n400%2 ... 20sica.mp3

It is in a Nashville 400, older model with just a new set of OPA2134PA chips, no other mods. Speaker was not broke in yet.

Here Tommy Butler's comments on the test of the new speaker:

"Show Pro SD-10, BL710 pickup. Pot volume pedal, amp. shure 57 mic. Bass 1 o' clock, Mids 8 o' clock, shift, strait up, Treble 12 o' clock. presence 1 o' clock. Extreme amount of clarity from low to high on the neck.I carried it to a gig this weekend. It blew everyone away. The sound guy set my eq flat in the front of house and could not tell me enough what a pleasure it was to listen to my rig? I was flattered. It was really honking by the end of the night. Very pleasing sonically. Seems like it takes longer to break a sica in. i'm seeing typically 40 + hours.They seem to project different that other speakers. It will feel a room with sound and its so efficient it makes 100 watts project like 200 watts. I've blown speakers but no matter how I try i've yet to blow a sica? Of course you cant please everyone. People like what they like and have certain taste. Variety is the spice of life. I would think after all these years i would be loosing sum of my hearing but I do believe it is actually getting better. Some nights I can hear the 110 volt cycles hitting the fan I have running to make noise so I can go to sleep. No matter who you try and pattern your sound after, no matter whose advise you take, or what hype you buy in to most every manufacturer working for us has a great product to offer. Its a close competition in sound reinforcement with a very narrow profit margin. Every player has their reason to do what they do, say what they say, and stand by their beliefs, kinda like sports."
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Yes SICA speaker were designed as bass speakers, but as mnay have found out they are are a great speaker. Curt does not like them, that his his preference. We have a lot of people out there that do. It is our speaker of choice for our tube steel amp. We tested many including the new Eminence.

Curt is quick to point out they were designed for bass. Well, so was the MB200. It is a matter of personal taste.
I just would like the people to be completely informed. That's all. My buddy has the Sica 250 and it sounds great in his rig. A bass rig. It is a really nice woofer. If some folks like the sound of their steel through a woofer, then good! But, the Sica is less sensitive than the EPS-15c, so some people do not find the definition they desire. In comparison, the sensitivity of the Sica @1W/1m is 97.5 dB, whereas the EPS-15c is: 100.2db at the same 1W/1m. The EPS-15c is almost 3 decimels louder with the same power applied. Albeit subtle, it mean a lot to some steel players who appreciate string separation and high definition. The specs are here for those interested:

The Sica Premium Lite Series and the Eminence EPS-15c

But, at the end of the day, it is a matter of taste. Some like apples, and some like oranges!

We are all steel players here and no two are a like.

Happy pickin'

;-)
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Yes, but the 250 watt SICA is 4 db more effient on the low end. Those measurements you stated are in the 1000 hertz range, one needs to look at the entire bandwidth. The SICA has less treble (the 250 watt model). The 350 watt model is a different animal all together, more efficient in the low end and an excellent high end. The 12" SICA again has an entirely different sound and bandwidth response.

By the way, we compared the Eminence side by side to a 1501-4SB BW and the BW is louder by far than any of these speakers. While the Eminence may sound like a BW, the BW is still the SPL king of all the speakers I have tried (at least in the treble range). Volume is not even at all frequencies. Then again a JBL is lounder than any of them, but can't handle the power requirements of 200 watt plus amps.

Curt, this ain't my first goat roping when it comes to speakers. I started in pro audio in the middle 70's. I was trained in pro audio at Peavey ELctronics in the early 70's, I worked for years designing pro audio systems, setting up large commercial sound systems, repairing amps, worked in the low voltage electrical field, a NICEET certified engineer and have worked and studied electronics all my life. That does not begin to cover the training and experince I have accumulated over the years. I cetainly do not know it all but I think I know what I am talking about here.

I am not on a mission to destroy any product's credibility. There are a lot of choices out there, we each have to make our on.

You however have sought out any post I have had on the SICA speaker line and attemped to discredit the speakers. It appears you have a problem there. I just do not get it. I do not care to keep this up with you. The facts have been stated, let the people make their choice.

http://foxvintageamps.com/classic_green_013.htm
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Curt, this ain't my first goat roping when it comes to speakers. I started in pro audio in the middle 70's. I was trained in pro audio at Peavey ELctronics in the early 70's, I worked for years designing pro audio systems, setting up large commercial sound systems, repairing amps, worked in the low voltage electrical field, a NICEET certified engineer and have worked and studied electronics all my life. That does not begin to cover the training and experince I have accumulated over the years. I cetainly do not know it all but I think I know what I am talking about here
And I think you do a great job building tube amps and modding the Peaveys!
I am not on a mission to destroy any product's credibility. There are a lot of choices out there, we each have to make our on.

You however have sought out any post I have had on the SICA speaker line and attemped to discredit the speakers. It appears you have a problem there. I just do not get it. I do not care to keep this up with you. The facts have been stated, let the people make their choice.
I would not have even commented had you not stated my name in this post.
This is not to discredit the Sica speakers at all, but rather to present the whole, nonbiased picture. I'm sure the Sica has a part in the steel world. Not everyone desires the same tone. Some are more picky, and some are less picky. Remember, I do not have anything to gain either way, since I am not selling either one of them.

Keep up the good work on the tube amps and mods!

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

As I have stated several times on different threads on the forum, I have both the SICA and Eminence and both are perfectly acceptable for Steel.

Just individual preference on what someone wants. The guitar that is being used and it's tone can also have a bearing on ANY amp and ANY speaker.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I think these people are a little smarter than you give them credit for. Clearly in the post above you put down the product for it's performace, country of origin and then promoted another product:

"That may be what PF means when he describes the Sica as transparent and him not being able to get the "separation of notes" that he is accustomed to getting. It makes since that if a speaker is stiffer, the articulation would be lacking.

Eminence has spent a lot of time and research in these EPS-15c speakers, and it shows! Remember, they designed these speakers for us. The steel player. They are made here in the good old US of A in Eminence, Kentucky.

'nuff said!

Call Ray Walker and get one! "

That is a little different than what this statement says:

"This is not to discredit the Sica speakers at all, but rather to present the whole, nonbiased picture."
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

I think these people are a little smarter than you give them credit for. Clearly in the post above you put down the product for it's performace, country of origin and then promoted another product:

"That may be what PF means when he describes the Sica as transparent and him not being able to get the "separation of notes" that he is accustomed to getting. It makes since that if a speaker is stiffer, the articulation would be lacking.

'nuff said!

Call Ray Walker and get one! "

That is a little different than what this statement says:

"This is not to discredit the Sica speakers at all, but rather to present the whole, nonbiased picture."
I still stand by that statement.

Yes, it is true PF stated he thought they sounded transparent and he did not care for them, as far as definition, or separation.

Yes, Eminence has taken a lot of input from the steel community.

Yes, Eminence did design a speaker especially for us.
(Sica did not)

Yes, they are made in the USA.

Yes, Ray Walker would be glad to help help out the steel community by offering them to us.
Even though he would do better selling Avon!

Yes, I do wish to present the whole unbiased picture!

We're on the same page now!

:D

Happy Pickin'
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

Thanks Ken, but i've already got the sica 12s, i was wondering about the eminence eps 12s if they are making them yet!