Tom Rose, One of the Bay Area's Finest, Passes Away

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Richard Sinkler

Tom Rose, One of the Bay Area's Finest, Passes Away

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I just wanted to let people know that we lost one of Northern California's finest musicians on Thursday night / Friday morning, May 13th, 2011.

This is a deep personal loss to me and anyone who knew Tom. This last weekend, I played 3 gigs that Tom probably would have attended. It was real tough looking in the crowd and not seeing his smiling face. Although I have only know Tom for a few years, it feels as though I have known him all my life. What a wonderful man and friend. It will definitely leave a big hole in my heart.

Even with his failing health over the last couple of years, Tom always made an effort to come see my bands and others when he wasn't working. Having him sit in for a couple of tunes was always the highlight of the gig.

My deepest sympathies go out to Tom's family and friends. And, especially to Hubert "Brownie" Brown, Bill Enyeart and the rest of Tom's band, Dry Creek.

For anyone wishing to attend, there will be services held at:

Hilltop Community Church
> 3118 Shane Drive
> Richmond, California

Tuesday, May 24th
4:00pm - 7:00 pm.

It will be great to have all that knew him wish him a final farewell.

p.s. Sorry to anyone that viewed this post before I realized I forgot to post the date. I corrected that. This was one one the hardest posts I have ever written.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Simon

Post by Jim Simon »

Bad news but thank you for posting this Richard. Too easy to forget people that had positive influences in your life. I played with Tom many times along with Bobby Thompson. Bobby is facing his own struggles right now. Tom did a nice job and always gave people their money's worth. A gentleman and good musician. Saw Bill at the Western Swing Society meeting last June. He is the driving force behind that organization now.

Jim
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Sorry for the loss of your friend.