Any non-peddlers - oops non-pedalers in Houston, Tx?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Brunt

Any non-peddlers - oops non-pedalers in Houston, Tx?

Post by Bill Brunt »

...and has there ever been interest in doing any meetups, jams, instruction, bs sessions, etc?
wt golden

Post by wt golden »

We have a few here -

Obviously Herb Remington is our local star. He plays around occasionally with a group called the Swing Kings. They used to play at Cosmos - but I have seen them play at the Mucky Duck for a pleasant rare treat

Bart Maloney is a non-pedal convert. He has played pedal steel with a number of people, but lately has been concentrating on non-pedal. You can find him with Nick Gaitan and Umbrella Man and The Octanes. The Octanes have a CD release party tonight at the The Continental Club (Friday, May13).

Lucas Gorham is a non-pedal player who plays and is the singer with Grandfather Child. They will lean to the rock side of the spectrum, and do so very well.

I play with Sean Reefer and the Resin Valley Boys and a few others around town. A shameless plug - The Resin Valley Boys are playing this Saturday (May 14th) at the The Continental Club.

I am sure there are more of us out there, these are just the first few non-pedal players I thought of.
S.M. Johnson

How distant is Belverde, Texas?

Post by S.M. Johnson »

Wayne Tanner now appearing on YouTube.......is a great sounding player.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Hi Bill

I play at it...wouldn't be considered a player.

Other than those mentioned in the above post, I would imagine there are others here like myself that aren't at the skill level required to play in public.

Rather hard to form a learning-group when one doesn't know who else is in the area.
Bill Brunt

Post by Bill Brunt »

Tom Campbell wrote:Hi Bill

Rather hard to form a learning-group when one doesn't know who else is in the area.
My sentiments also.
As for myself, I am only starting to play at it. At this point, it is pretty much monkey-see, monkey-do with cd's, and tabs in A6.

There are plenty of great resources here on this site, and I am beginning to start taking advantage of some of them - but, as great as the web might be, it seems human intervention can still be valuable.

You know.
Misery loves company.
Bill Findlay

Post by Bill Findlay »

Hello Bill,

I'm in Baytown and play around mostly on the Pedal Steel and Dobro.

But I started on the Lap and play it some now.
I presently like to play a MSA Superslide. But I have had Fender custom, stringmaster and a Remington Steelmaster.

I would be interested in participating in a group function with other lap steel players.

If it happens let me know.....

wrfindlay@yahoo.com

Bill
wrfindlay@yahoo.com
Emmons D-10 LG, MSA SD10 Millennium, Mullen Discovery S10, Fender, Stringmaster D-8, Fender Steel King, Evans AH-200, Roland Cube 80XL, G&K Fusion & G&K MB200 Preamps,Boss DD-3,
Bart Maloney

Post by Bart Maloney »

If anyone ever has the chance to go see mr Will Golden play steel you better take it. Great player and a great guy. All my favorite steel comes from Houston town!!!
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

I still have my Fender T-3 and I would be very much interested in jamming some with western swing musicians in and around the Houston area.

If there is some place around here that we could do that, please let us know.

Thanx,
Jim