The thrill is gone - Ever overdosed on practicing?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Been a month since "the crash" and the interest in 8-string is returning, but I'll have to do this 'my way'...

Guess I'm one of those players who's looking more for a personal style than being able to play anything people throw at me, after 40 years of playing I have learned to accept that there are - and always will be - "black holes" in my knowledge and skills.

Hey, wasn't it David Bowie who said that your personal style is defined by your limitations? :wink:
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Good for you Steinar ! Ain't no better way than 'your way'. Interest + direction = great results. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with ?
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Here's a little song to get you back in the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw
Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

You know, I'm at this very weird place right now. I've decided to take a little time off from playing and I left all the groups I was playing steel with. The only gigs I do now are the $$$ where I sing and play guitar. The steel chops are at a high, but I need to turn it into music now.

I'm trying to move in a new direction musically with the steel and I just feel like I need to purge a bunch of stuff from the archives. I even have a few lessons I was working on and I just kind of pushed them aside for the time being. I experiment with sound a lot and have had a ton of success getting what I want, I just don't have the context for it right now.

So, it's time to take a little vacation with my wife. Off to Puerto Rico we go....

Anyway, I was wondering how you were making out, Steinar?
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Thanks for asking, Mike!

I'm sorry to say that I haven't touched a tonebar in about a month, for the time being it can only be described as a total meltdown. I have experienced variations in enthusiasm and interest before, that's only natural, but this doesn't feel like one of those..

I have a studio gig coming up at the end of the month, where I will be asked to play lap steel in addition to regular guitar, maybe that will help. At least I will have to start practicing again so my chops are up to the standard needed to get the job done. Perhaps that's what it takes to renew the interest.
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

I hate to say it, but sometimes you just gotta hang up the phone when you're done talking.
Primitive Utility Steel