Is this Jerry?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mac McKenzie

Is this Jerry?

Post by Mac McKenzie »

A few weeks ago I posted that I had played a mish mash tape which led me to Jerry's Hula Lady. I played more of that tape today and there was a version of Moon Of Manakoora, the steel sounds very much like Jerry, no vocal, instead a whistler warbles the song. Does anyone know for sure if it is Jerry and who the whistler is? It is a bit like some years ago, we were arranging for Jerry and his playmates visit and I was writing to Jerry about which recordings we could use for publicity and mentioned that many years ago I had bought Red Foley's " Honey Be My Honey Bee " and the flip side was " Don't Make Me Go To Bed ans I'll Be Good ", never knew who did the beautiful guitar work until " Kaimana Hila " was released here. Jerry replied that he did not do that one, so I taped it and sent it over and said if it wasn't him, there is a very good imposter somewhere. He wrote back " Foley and I used to fight something terrible, nothing physical, just arrangements. They must have had that one in the can for a long time, I don't remember doing it, but, yeah, it's me allright." Mystery solved - now for this one.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Yes ... it's JB.

The whistler's name is Fred Lowery.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Ron Whitfield

Re: Is this Jerry?

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Mac McKenzie wrote:I don't remember doing it, but, yeah, it's me allright."
Way cool, Mac, you nailed The Master!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

JB didn't remember a lot of things he did. I told him I remembered him coming to Saginaw Mi once in the 60s. He said "Ive never been to Saginaw" Then I reminded him of who was with him, then he remembered :)
I suppose he had been to so many venues and recorded with so many artists, that it wasn't possible to relate to all of them.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

So who was with him that time, Bill, if you remember... :P
And isn't Saginaw one of those places you'd want to forget?
Mac McKenzie

Is This Jerry?

Post by Mac McKenzie »

Thanks Rick, for the info. " Yep! Sure sounded like Jerry allright." His memory wasn't too bad - he remembered me when we got over there. He arranged coffee, he paid and I told him I would pay next time - owed it to him for the rest of his life rather than do him out of it - and in conversation he said " The tax man can take all your money, but the one thing no one can take from you are your memories. Those are yours forever. " And memories i have.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Ron, one of the people in that bunch was a lady country singer, Melba Montgomery, don't remember the rest right now...

And you are correct about Saginaw being a place to forget! It's kinda like "inner-city" all the way to the city limits! Luckily I live 5 miles east of that "place" :D
Wally Pfeifer

Post by Wally Pfeifer »

Here I thought Lefty Frizell was the only one living in Saginaw MI. Now we find out there's another famous person living in the suburb of Saginaw.
Wally :D :) 8)

I lost track. Is Lefty still living?
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Nope, Saginaw killed him.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

It kills people every week........
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Takes a whole week, does it?