Dobros.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brian Hunter

Dobros.

Post by Brian Hunter »

Where would be a good place to look as far as a budget model dobro that a person could buy t play around with and seeing how they like it? I mean as far as makers and price ranges.
Brian
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Oh, I guess my price range would be no more than 600 or so. I would want a square neck.
Brian
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

If I needed another Dobro I would go for a Beard....Square neck with a Beard cone in it.....they are a nice guitar at a reasonable price.
Talk to Howard Parker there...tell him you are a friend of mine...when he stops laughing ...choking ...and.."I cant believe you admit to that !"...he will look after you !
Tony
Beard Guitars

Post by Beard Guitars »

Love and kisses Tony!!! :D
Beard Guitars, LLC
21736 Leitersburg Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21742
301-733-8271
pbeardguitars@hotmail.com
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Look at the Gold Tone Beard guitars as probably the best instrument in that general price range. I own a Wechter Scheerhorn and am very satisifed with it. The Recording King line can be pretty good as well depending on whether the instrument is set up properly.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

IMO, value for value $ + Sound....the Beard Goldtone cannot be beat.....

And Howard Parker is a great guy....I don't care what they say!......
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Sweet! Just about everyone here is always just as helpful as can be.
Brian
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Well, headed right over to Howard's page and saw this.

http://www.beardguitars.com/Merchant2/m ... _Code=GTRG

Come nearer mid or late summer I know where some of my money's going to go.
Brian
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

Brian Hunter wrote:Well, headed right over to Howard's page and saw this.

http://www.beardguitars.com/Merchant2/m ... _Code=GTRG

Come nearer mid or late summer I know where some of my money's going to go.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has one of these and can compare it to the 6-string version. I'm concerned about the volume and tone of these 8-string resonators. If either volume suffers AT ALL from the addition of the 2 strings I'll stick with the 6-string, BUT if the volume is the same and the tone is similar then I'll spring for one as well.
Primitive Utility Steel
Chris Byars

Post by Chris Byars »

I purchased a Gibson Dobro a few years ago and have been pretty pleased with it. It looks rough, but I like that personally. About $350. That being said, I plan on getting a new cone and bridge from Beard soon ;)
Damon Wack

Post by Damon Wack »

I did not have the standard Beard, but I owned both a Mike Auldridge Model six string and an eight string. They were both cannons.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

I recently received a new Mckenna dobro, just another alternative out there...I also owned a Beard and she barked nicely :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fdvdQOS1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_2NnIWD0o
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Damon Wack wrote:I did not have the standard Beard, but I owned both a Mike Auldridge Model six string and an eight string. They were both cannons.
Damon, I don't recall if you were in the class with Mike and Cindy Cashdollar at Resosummit, but he made sure to point out that though the new Gold Tone Beard 8 string is a fine value in an 8 string resonator, it's not in the same league as his signature model - and it sure as heck shouldn't be since a "Real" Beard MAS sells for ballpark $3000 more!

I think six string Gold Tones are a fine value, and really, for the vast majority of resonator playing applications if it isn't one's "first" instrument, they are darn good guitars.

But IMO they don't hold a candle to an actual Mike Auldridge model guitar. And what I love about the Auldridge model is the consistency of the build. Everyone I have ever come across sounds outstanding.

Six string vs. eight string in general? In an A/B comparison, I have always felt (to my ears anyway) that the eight string guitars never quite measure up to a great six string resonator guitar. Close, but just not quite there.
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 4 May 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Gary C. Dygert

Post by Gary C. Dygert »

I've got a Gold Tone Beard squareneck, and it's great. Before that, I had a cheap Johnson, which was ok to fool around with. Forget Fender. Beard's website has a section for instruments with slight blemishes at reduced prices. Mine allegedly has a blem that I can't find.
No-name lap steel and Beard Gold Tone reso in E6 and E7