Gary Carter playing "Sweet Memories"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bret Raper

Gary Carter playing "Sweet Memories"

Post by Bret Raper »

I hope everyone got a chance to hear Gary Carter's rendition of "Sweet Memories" which he played on The Marty Stuart Show (aired 4/30/11). As usual, Gary's playing was superb, and he happens to be a great guy!

If anyone recorded the show, please upload the clip!
kyle reid

Gary's Tone

Post by kyle reid »

What happened to his tone? It was terrible
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

KYLE .......
The tone sounded excellent thru my TV tonite . I'll watch it again Sunday morning and check again . Then probably Monday afternoon also ....... it was that good.

It wasn't "Papa John" , but it was really good .
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
kyle reid

Apology

Post by kyle reid »

I should apologize for coming across so negative about the tone, but it was not close to the great tone Gary has always had, His playing was phenomenal!
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

Kyle....
no need for apology ! :)
Others have stated before on reception of the "Marty Stuart Show" before as uneven quality . I took your comment as that anyway .
Whether it's "Dish" , "Direct TV" or whatever you have in your locale someway , somehow might sound different than mine .... not to mention equipment or set-up . :?
I just thought he sounded great ..... AS USUAL ! ...
tone & licks . :D
I saw another thread on the forum from Kevin Hatton (I think) on how great it sounded .... and Kevin is in the same NorthEast area . :\
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I'll post here. It seems that reception determines tone in some instances. On my Verizon Fios with bass speaker and stereo he sounded his usual great Zum tone. Maybe he had a little less reverb this time but that's all I noticed.
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

We used to play on a local TV show which was taped - when they played back each song through the bigger speakers at the studio, it sounded great - I played bass and it came through great - When I would listen to it through my 4" speakers on TV - Hardly ever heard me
Ron Petersen
Bill Waskiewicz

Post by Bill Waskiewicz »

In any event it was good to see the steel
guitar up front for a change. :) :)
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Everything coming through your TV is digitized, and the less "units" that can be used to send along a signal, the cheaper it is. It's the same process of cheapifying that makes Mp3's cheap and awful, except: on a TV broadcast, the national provider is trying to use a few units as possible, your regional carrier is "stepping on it" again, your local provider is cutting it down again... a few years back it reached the point here that "American Idol" became unlistenable here in Maryland, as the various FOX-affiliated way-stations had stepped on it so much it came out like tuned static. Surely, this process applies to Marty's show.

They have computer algorithms running at all times, trying to adjust the amounts needed to carry an intelligible signal to the minimum necessary at all times. The internet is the exact same way, which is why it's a good idea to bang open four or five windows as soon as you get online, you're telling the provider to allocate you a bit more signal and it'll run a bit faster.... Whenever you see your TV picture breaking up into little squares, it means the algorithm "guessed" wrong. Or when Gary Carter sounds like he's using an 80's fuzztone with a 60's battery in it.... :mrgreen: There's like millions and billions of dollars involved here over a period of time multiplied by the number of viewers. Don't even pretend to be surprised when a "premium quality transmission package" is offered for a hefty upcharge, they just have to make sure you're sick and tired of the low-grade signals first. My TV's been in the closet since 2006, gee I'll be sure to get it out then.... :roll:
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Nothing terrible about Gary's tone. The song was Awesome
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Brad Malone

Great job on Sweet Memories

Post by Brad Malone »

The tone on Sweet memories was great as was the playing of the tune..great job...I thought earlier in the show when he was backing Connie Smith that his tone was a bit thin but he had it right for his Solo and really nailed the tune..good to see a steelman get a chance to play a solo
Tom Vollmer

Post by Tom Vollmer »

Checking on the forum to see if other steelers caught Gary playing Sweet Memories and to applaud Gary and his excellent rendition,playing and tone.Also hats off to Marty Stuart for featuring the steel solo.Support Marty and his excellent band and if you are a player as good as Marty and Gary and the rest of his band then critique them.If you are a lesser player sit back,enjoy and try to learn something.
TV
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Nothin wrong with his tone on my end, sounded great!! :)
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

I thought Gary was absolutely fabulous! I run my TV through a Home Theatre System and the tone was superb! Also, kudos to Marty for giving "up-front" presence to a great steel player.
Rains D-10 by Gary Carpenter
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:( :( Oh man i missed it ! Gary Carter plays great and i get good tone on my T.V. I will try to see it today .
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Sounded fantastic!! What a player! What kind of amp was he using?
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

It looked like Gary was using a Steel King amp.
Sounded great.....but I forgot to set my DVR :x

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Actually he uses a stock Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Rick it might come on again later tonight.

Tony
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Tony
I'm gonna look at the amp again,
if I can catch the rerun.
The amp looks like its about 12" deep
and I don't think it had the narrow
lower panel on front....

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com