Roland 80 As a Combo Stage and Practice amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mickey Adams

Roland 80 As a Combo Stage and Practice amp

Post by Mickey Adams »

I recently purchased a Roland 80 Combo Amp to lighten my load while traveling, and to use in the studio..I basically was buying it for my guitar, since my Mesa MKV weighs a ton...and takes up a hefty space..I plugged my G2 into it tonight and man was I pleased!
It has built in effects, a looper, preamp out...everything under the sun, and I can play both instruments through it effectively...the price?>..349.00
The high end modeling of the JC-120 in the clean side is fabulous for steel in my practice room..Im going to take it to the stage this weekend, and see if it can cut the mustard!!...(that means get over my guitar player :lol: :lol: :lol: )
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

is it the Roland Cube 80XL ?
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

My old Roland JC-60 also works very well with pedal steel, especially with some added EQ from a BOSS GE-7. Super clean, and very portable.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Mickey,
Thanks for the info about that Roland.......had been wanting to try one.......figured it would do fine from what I have ran into from Roland.
John Russell

Roland Cube amps

Post by John Russell »

Great amp for steel. I used a Cube 60 for about two years, now I have the Cube 80x. I've used it on club gigs, sounds great; and I've used it on large stages. For large stages I add an extension cab with a EV 15. That combo is all the gain and tone I'll ever need. The built in FX are nice though I use a Boss GE7 equalizer and Boss RV 3 for a little more fine tuning on tone. It's a little weak on the low end--I play a 12 string universal--but we're talking 80 watts here. It weighs about half what my Fender Twin weighs. If you're a guitarist you'll like the amp models and a very nice acoustic guitar model. I use this with my Martin D-28 and my Ovation classical. It's a lotta bang for the buck and a really nice amp. The new Cube 80 XL has an 80 second looper so you can do the Les Paulverizer thing (play a rhythm verse and add lead).
Mickey Adams

Roland

Post by Mickey Adams »

Yes mine is the new 80XL with the looper..Ive been looking for one for weeks, and happened to find one at Candyman Music in Santa Fe NM last week...Ive been experimenting quite a bit with it. The Fender Blackface setting adds a little more bottom...and I agree its a little lite on the bass, but other than that...I just think its awesome...Maybe we could get Roland to consider a dedicated Steel Guitar version??>..but for now 80 watts of Roland power is whipping the 80 watt NV112 in my book...plus ITS CHEAPER
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
John Russell

80 Watts Roland vs. 80 watts of Peavey

Post by John Russell »

Really? I was considering getting a NV 112 after playing thru James Shelton's a couple weeks ago. It sounded pretty dang good hooked up to my GFI. I used the Zum/Fender Twin package over the weekend (two gigs) and I don't know which girl I love the most. The Twin has a PV black widow 4-ohm. Sweet. I use the Roland amp most of the time since it's light and sounds great but the 12" speaker won't ever sound like a 15. --JR
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

The 15" Speaker has been a mainstay for a lot of years..I agree...But the NV112?....Doesn't it have a 12" speaker..??..It was always my belief that the size of the voice coil was what determined the bass response..
John Russell

Roland Cube 80s; Speakers, etc.

Post by John Russell »

That may be too. I think cabinet size is a factor as well. The Nashville 112 has a wider cabinet than the Roland. Same reason the old Session 400s seem to be preferred over the Nashville 400s. I think the room is a bigger factor. This was a jam session with a full house so less reflection of sound off hard surfaces. There have been times when my rig sounded harsh and unpleasant and other times it was awesome. I always try to position myself perpendicular to the amp to hear it direct. That night I played the 112, due to limited space, I was in front, the amp pointed at my back. It still sounded pretty strong and sweet. Those amps are popular around here. I'm keeping the Cube though. I have a stand that tilts it back so I nearly always get a sound I like. --JR
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I used a JC120 for a while and it worked fine. It's my experience that when someone says an amp/speaker/guitar sounds "thin", they mean they haven't changed anything else around in their rig, in order to compensate for a component that is putting out more highs than they've gotten used to. I've heard that Lawrence pickups are "thin", Telecasters are "thin"... Most equipment today has enough low end, mids and highs, but you have to try stuff. It's like the guitarists who set their ideal amp tone with the guitar's controls all the way up, then they say that tone controls suck because all they can do is turn them down from there. :roll: Having said all that, I do think you're likely to get a better steel tone from modern bass amps than from an equivalent guitar amp.
John Russell

Re: Tone

Post by John Russell »

I've been using the Boss GE-7 for many years now and can usually dial up a tone I like. I run the lowest two frequencies up about 2/3rds, scoop the mids below half and bump the last three high faders somewhere in the middle. The highest freq fader I usually pull down a little. I don't like it too shrill and I like a fat bottom. These vary some with different amps. All one really can control is the equalization--the texture of each amp is unique and you can't fix that. Same for guitars. Finding that sweet setting really inspires one to play their best.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I've got the Cube 60xl. It's great for rehearsal, but I don't like to gig with it. I don't like the closed back cabinet. I'd rather run a 112 or a GK MB200 into an open back cabinet.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
John Russell

Gk Mb200

Post by John Russell »

I just Googled that amp and it looks pretty impressive. I didn't realize a bass amp worked for steel. I have an older GK MLS guitar amp which I use with a TubeWorks pre amp. Very light and reliable. Do you use a preamp with the GK MB200? Processor?
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

There's a set of parameters for the "modern bass" amp that's been mutating since the 90's somewhere, SWR and G-K were right in there and MarkBass is competitive. What these amps share as a common design philosophy is tons of clean headroom, controls for bass, treble and both a low-mid and a high-mid control, with either a parametric adjustable sweep or some sort of "contour" control.

For some odd historical circumstances, bass players kept looking forward while six-stringers were obsessing over the color of the cloth in their guitar wiring, using the correct knobs and ginning up their fashion statement - the bassists were a decade ahead in the decided shift towards less stage noise, running direct & in-ear monitors. These new bass amps are essentially a decent PA rig, or, feature-wise, really good steel guitar amps if you get the speakers right.
John Russell

Bass amp for steel

Post by John Russell »

It makes sense when you consider that young bucks in their cars are running 1000 watts of hip-hop and metal rock with enough bass to simulate an earthquake. This is done with what I believe are called switching amps (GK was an early developer) that fit under the seat. I don't know if it matters that they're running on DC current. I found the Boss 80 thru a friend and came to appreciate the portability and features and I like the tone. Lots of variation in amp models and FX too. I have an EV-15, 8-ohm speaker I use as an extension cab and used to use with my GK rig. A 4-ohm version would be much better. I mostly use stompbox effects and an equalizer so maybe the preamp is redundant. It would be nice to eliminate that clip I hear on my low B string--with just a little more juice. I might even re-attach my boo-wa pedal. ;-). Thanks for the heads up. I may be able to rent this GK amp from our local music supply shop.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

John - Just take a look at this thread. I'm a steady user of the MB200. But I like my Fender Showman and my Fox-modded Session 400 almost as much.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=189990

I just run a reverb pedal, a delay pedal and my vol. pedal into the GK. And I use a 4-ohm or 8-ohm cabinet, with little difference.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I have the newer COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) Cube 60 that works great for a quick plug-N-play unit w/o having to mess around hooking up a pedal board etc. It has reverb/delay blend onboard along with the chorus/phase effect.
I have used mine mainly with dobro/lap steel and use the acoustic setting for Dobro and the blackface for lap. It has a "line out" jack, one of my criteria for buying the amp to go directly to a board so the on-stage volume is kept down. Included are several other in/out jacks for effect on/off etc.
If a little distortion is needed, switch it into a classic or metal stack. It has some good settings as part of the amp modeling. As mentioned, a little light for the 12" speaker to handle the heavy C6th stuf, but works great for that smaller venue.
As Mickey mentioned already, the JC-120 modeling is real clean & straight forward. His 80XL has the looper and many other bells & whistles on it my Cube60 doesn't. Does it replace my Webb or Steel King? no but venue determines the amp choice lately;-)
John Russell

Roland Cube

Post by John Russell »

It punches above its weight as they say. My cube 80X weighs 34.5 lbs.; the Fender twin with the single 15 weighs 65 lbs. The tone amazes me still. Used it at a VFW gig Sunday playing to a room of about 4,000 sq. ft. No problem with enough gain and great tone. I switched over to the Strat for a few songs. I kept it on the JC120 setting just for convenience, just tweaked the EQ on my pedal, also the reverb/delay. It did fine, the blackface setting would be better for guitar but I often don't take the time to walk back over to the amp and redo that setting. When I play acoustic guitar, I do take the time to reset it to the acoustic guitar setting--well worth the effort. If you're playing a large outdoor stage, playing with a rockin' band you might prefer a larger amp. But you could still do it with the Cube if you could mike it up or line out over to the house system. (Make sure the sound man dials you up the gain). Also set it on a stand or chair so you can hear it clearly. Do that and I think it would work anywhere. I keep the twin just for the different sound, just can't part with an old friend, but the Cube is my retirement amp. ;~)
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

One other thing about the Roland Cube amps. They have *the most* comfortable strap on them for lifting. Really comfortable to carry.
John Russell

Cube amp strap

Post by John Russell »

Great strap, great amp. What's not to like? ;-)
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

HI, I like my Cube60 for dobro with the acoustic setting and the blackface for lap steel if I have time to switch the gain setting.If not, I go to the clean Jc120 setting. I have used this amp as much as my Nashville 400 or Twin, depending on the gig.
John Russell

Cube amp

Post by John Russell »

It does many things well. I compared the acoustic setting to a Baggs acoustic amp (expensive). The Cube was much warmer and more natural sounding. I play an Ovation classical guitar with that setting and it's great.

For lead guitar, I've only tried the Blackface settings since I mainly play steel and use the JC120 setting. For me, it's a burden to reset the EQ, the effects and the amp model all on the fly when I switch. I usually leave it on the JC setting for both and adjust the EQ and rev/del with floor pedals. The amp's effects are pretty good, the Cube 80X allows reverb and delay together. The older 60 does not--I don't know about the newer ones. If I'm only playing steel, often I'll go with those FX. However, I prefer to fine tune those settings with pedals. Since I'm sitting down to play steel and--usually--guitar, I don't want to get up, go over to the amp and tweak stuff. Switching to acoustic guitar is different. That setting on the Cube is worth the hassle--it sounds very nice.

I think people would be amazed by the tone and volume of this little amp. All the effects and settings are icing on the cake. --JR
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

@Mickey

how was the Roland Cube 80XL on stage ?
was loud enough ?
is powerful enough for the C6th neck ?

Thomas
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

The cube80X did great!..Took it to BillyBobs, and it handled the gig just fine. this past weekend I went back to my FOX/BURR NV400, and put the 80XL in place of my Mesa MKV on guitar...There was a guitar player standing in front of me with his mouth open looking at my little cube...in shock at the tone and punch coming out of this little sucker!!...this thing RIPS!!>...Love it!
John Russell

Cube testimonials

Post by John Russell »

See--I told ya!