Is cabinet drop the problem?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John H. McGlothlin

Is cabinet drop the problem?

Post by John H. McGlothlin »

HOWDY FOLKS HOWDY. I have an older model of MSA Classic D-10 about mid seventies model. I bought it used. The problem I have is when I tune the E9 neck to where I want it, the C6 neck goes flat and when I get the C6 neck tuned then the E9 neck goes flat. Is cabinet drop causing that or is this a common thing with double neck guitars? Its not a life and death matter because I only play one neck at a time any way. Of course I did buy the guitar as is so I would not expect it to be in mint condition. Thanks for any ideas.
Marlen SD 10 3 and 5,Fender 5 String Banjo, Flinthill 5 string banjo,Johnson Resonator Guitar, Ibanez AFS75T Country/Jazz Guitar.
John H. McGlothlin

Post by John H. McGlothlin »

Thanks very much Georg, and I agree with you on the MSA guitar sounding good...This one has the wooden necks and to me that gives this guitar the real smooth sound and tone.
Marlen SD 10 3 and 5,Fender 5 String Banjo, Flinthill 5 string banjo,Johnson Resonator Guitar, Ibanez AFS75T Country/Jazz Guitar.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i've never had a problem like that...

if you had all the strings off at once..maybe..tune them all up and let it sit. then fine tune everything and there shouldn't bea problem. if there is, it's something else.
Earnest Bovine

Re: Is cabinet drop the problem?

Post by Earnest Bovine »

John H. McGlothlin wrote: The problem I have is when I tune the E9 neck to where I want it, the C6 neck goes flat and when I get the C6 neck tuned then the E9 neck goes flat.
How much flat does it go? What happens if you tune the E9 neck again after that? A small tuneup change on one neck should not be noticed on the other neck.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Get out yer screwdriver, and make sure everything is tight.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

There's been some speculation and/or facts that for tonal reasons, steel guitars shouldn't have all the structural screws too tight. Or, of course, too loose. Besides the danger of over-torquing them, it's just barely possible that a previous owner loosened up some wood screws and the changer is sort of flopping around there in a miniscule way. Or maybe it's just old, went through some seasonal changes, bounced around in a trunk, etc. Does anything weird happen if you strum across the strings and then try to wiggle the changer with your hand?
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

DM, I thought that discussion centered around the neck screws only??? There's a product from DAP, that's used to swell wood up to tighten loose chair rails, etc.. It can also be dribbled into a screw hole. Put the screw back in, and wait a while. You'll be able to tighten them up nicely. I use it on old, old Shobuds.