Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Robbie Primm

Mr,Moone

Post by Robbie Primm »

He had me under his spell for the last 38 years......Go rest high my friend!!!!!!
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

“I talked to him, and it was mostly about all the regular stuff we talk about,” Stuart said. “As we were about to hang up, he said, ‘I love you, and everything is alright. The Lord knows what to do with me.’”
-from the Tennesseean

Like probably most steel guitar players, Ralph Mooney was one of the first guys I heard and knew to look out for. I was lucky enough to get to speak with him once over the phone. He was extremely nice and encouraging to a kid he never met, and he had one of the greatest speaking voices of all time.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

First and formost -- My condolences to the family

However Ralph has two great families and had a great BIG heart for both.

I could not post when I first heard this news I just had to wait. We all knew this day was coming and there was lots of fond memories exchanged at the Dallas show.

I have not had my pedal steel out of the case hardly since I bought steelseat.com ---- BUT today I am going to get it back out and work hard on Mooney licks - knowing I will not achieve that style just trying to get them as good as I can.

A few years ago at the old hotel in Dallas I was lucky enough to get to go to a suite in the hotel and listen to Buddy and others talk about all kinds of things. Then the crowd thined out and there we were Lynn Osley and MR. Moon and a few others - but every one was listening to Moon - Lynn wound him up for us and we just listened and enjoyed - I was assigned to get him his Cokes he was drinking because he commented I poured the best tastin' Coke he had had in years - which lead to another story.

I could go on and on but RIP MR Ralph we will miss you but you will live on with your music coming out of our speakers for ever and ever. Thanks for all the great music.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Plus Road Cases and other stuff too
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Mike Headrick

Post by Mike Headrick »

"Mr. Moon's music will always be
As long as people love him like you and me"

"He's a member of everyone's Hall Of Fame
Without him country music wouldn't be the same"

Two phrases from a tribute song to the Moon.

Time will prove that his legacy will never die. His music will continue to make people happy as long as the world stands. I believe that with all my heart.

"Shine On Mr. Moon". Your light is now brighter than ever!
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

One of the greats!
I loved his playing and his songwriting.
Bob
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

So long Moon. Hope you have great adventure in whatever comes next. Thanks for some of the most unforgettable steel guitar ever played.
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

So long, Moon!:cry:
Thanks for all the memories.
You'll definitely live on in our hearts.

God bless the Mooney family in their hour of need,
Benton
Wayne Quinn

Post by Wayne Quinn »

met him a lot a years ago great guy.now him and Waylon will ride again for our heavenly father.thanks for the memoreys Mr Moon.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Not only did he write one of the best country songs of all time, he was the father of the "Bakersfield" sound in my opinion.
God's speed and condolences to the family.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

not much more I can add but post my favorite pic of the Moon...Godspeed...

<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

I AM SURE GONNA MISS YA MOON. I am just glad you are no longer in any pain, and you have gone to be with The Lord, whom you loved so much. "PICK IT MOON".
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

My condolences - Another hero and stylist has gone on to receive his reward.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

very sad news... best wishes to his wife, his family and friends.

Ralph was such an original, and such an absolute joy to listen to.

met him once in St. Louis and you could tell he was really a joy to be around as well.

God Bless You Ralph... thanks for the inspiration and all the wonderful music you made!!!

This past weekend's "super moon" was a beautiful and fitting send-off! That heavenly band is gettin' better and better I tell ya...
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

This is sad news. Truly, the end of an era. We all owe Moon alot for his contributions to the steel guitar, like the high G# to A change just for starters. Where would we be today without that? During my time with Waylon you couldnt wipe the grin off my face everytime we started Rainy Day Woman. I was so proud to be there, playing Moon's classic licks behind his biggest fan. For sure, Hoss and Moon are tearin' it up, up there, tonight.
A true original stylist and innovator, Moon will be greatly missed.
My condolences to his family. RIP my friend.
sincerely,

MC
Ben Godard

Post by Ben Godard »

i bet he's up there playin that instrument of ten strings right now. And Waylon Jennings and many others are standing behind him just smiling

I can't believe how many of the greats are gone now. Not just steel players but other musicians and singers as well.
Bud Isaacs

Post by Bud Isaacs »

Ralph and I were friends for about 50 years. We had alot of fun and alot of good memories. He was loved and respected by all. May God bless you. Ralph, we will miss you. Bud and Geri
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Mr. Mooney was so well respected in California they named a mountain after him

RIP Mr Moon your still the king

Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

another hero and mentor gone... RIP Ralph, you were certainly one of a kind, and will never be replaced in the hearts of so many of us.....
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
DeWitt Scott

Ralph Mooney

Post by DeWitt Scott »

It is a sad day for sure. Another steel guitar great has passed away. Ralph was a favorite player at the International Steel Guitar Convention for over 30 years. I would sit on the floor beside Ralph as he played and I noticed that he perked up...I began doing that at other shows. Why? Because Ralph asked me to... I brought Ralph to my store after one of Waylon Jennings concert here in St. Louis and he had a little bit too much to drink. I put a lapel mic on him and did an interview with him. It turned out to be one of most prized interviews I have ever given. And I have all of his apperances that he made at the ISGC conventions on casette, CD and many on video. I don't video the shows anymore and I'm wonderning if that was the best thing to do. Even tho I have many players on video - look at all the other players that I do not have on video or DVD.

Ralph was inducted into The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame Inc. in 1985. Here is the wording off his plaque. Scotty

RALPH MOONEY------------ COMPOSER, RECORDING SIDEMAN, ROAD MUSICIAN, AND TUNING INNOVATOR (HIGH G SHARP). CREATED "MOONEY" TAKE-OFF AND "CHICKEN PICKIN'" BEFORE SUCH STYLES HAD NAMES. SO UNIQUELY ORIGINAL THAT HE REMAINS UNDUPLICATED.
BORN: SEPTEMBER 16, 1928 INDUCTED: 1983
DUNCAN, OKLAHOMA DIED: MARCH
Tony Tims

Post by Tony Tims »

'83 MSA Classic SS D-10 8+8, Peavey Session 400 & NV 112, BJS Bars, Pod XT, Steel Seat by Joe Naylor, Goodrich L120.
Doug Murray

Post by Doug Murray »

Ralph Mooney was one of the true legends of the Pedal Steel guitar! He taught us so much! Mickey, thank you for letting us all know here on the forum. He was every bit of an original as Waylon Jennings! I say in honor of Ralph, Mickey, you should post a lesson of something like Rainy Day Woman just to show us what he could do. God Bless his little heart!!!
Doug Murray 1976 Fender Dual Artist Pro, Fender 212R, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Takamine EF349, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Fender Hotrod Deluxe.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

What a loss, what a loss. R.I.P. Mr. Mooney. :cry:
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

This photo was taken back in the 1980's. We opened for Waylon that night.

Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com