Steeler for Leona Williams

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Behm

Steeler for Leona Williams

Post by Larry Behm »

I purchased a Leona Williams (27 songs) CD in Dallas. First of all if you do not know her music get some, this is the best music money can buy if you like it country with a ton of steel.

I couldn't wait to play along with every song, thought I really was a steel player by the end of the CD.

Who is this player? We are talking Dicky Overby hardness here. Too bad we do not play like this today.

Larry Behm
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Larry, I've had this CD for a long time. I practice with it all the time. Some great songs and great steel.
Another great CD to have is Dottie Jacks Texan In a Stetson.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Leona uses various steelers at different times. Johnny Cox, Randy Reinhardt, Weldon Myric, Russ Hicks, and I'm sure others.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
james sluder

steel player for Leona Williams.

Post by james sluder »

I saw Boo Miller playing steel for her on some u-tube song's ,,he is really great ! You can pull them up > Just type in Leona Williams & it will put some great songs up ! She sings a great country song !!
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Hello larry, not to break the thread here, but i really enjoyed your thread years ago in a magazine about right hand grip, i adapted that seriously.... and studied it with analness over the years, and i can say... We share the same name but.. not the same education.. :D Thankyou larry without your guidance , i too was was just drifting around honkytonk avenue, hoping for a 'hope'from an exsperienced picker, and there was some, here and there, hopefully i'll get the right hand down that create's 'ALLLLLLLLL' the tone better now.... than then. :D

Better known as 'Chappy'>>
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Larry thanks for the kind words. I met several players in Dallas that had my videos from years ago and said how much the info had helped them. Also met a player in the elevator that had been in a Buddy/Jeff C6th class in Calif in the early 80's with me.

Life is good.

Larry Behm
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Overby also has a great steel guitar CD. I purchased mine at the Oklahoma show in Tulsa about 10 years ago.

Anyone have a health update on him? If my bad memory is correct,Seems he had a bout with cancer shortly after I saw him in Tulsa.
Mike Bowles

leona williams

Post by Mike Bowles »

larry i listen to leona all the time on youtube boo miller is playing steel now thats country i especially like melted down memories
Mike Bowles
Pat Coyne

Post by Pat Coyne »

Hi Larry, I created that CD for Leona about a month ago, this was the first major show she put it out there on her own label "Loveshine Records" This was all previously released material from 4 different albums. I was making a cd for a friend and I remembered that Buck Owens had the same concept, it was an album titled "Just For You"...so I laid out my favorite picture of Leona and put 27 of MY favorite songs and titled it "Just For My Friends"...to be sold ONLY at live appearances. I showed it to her, she loved it, then we changed a few songs to match HER favorites. lol. It really is a good value packed with great steel guitar, yes..the vast majority is Dicky, i think it is Monty Lafoon playing on "Someday When Things Are Good" and "You Take Me For Granted" Glad you enjoy it! Pat
"basso profundo"
Monty Laffoon

Leona Steel Players

Post by Monty Laffoon »

Thanks for remembering me on Leona's songs. I always enjoyed working on her albums.
Pat Coyne

Post by Pat Coyne »

Hi Monty, it was a pleasure and honor to meet you aa couple years ago...what a night that was! I was asking Leona about your playing, i almost thought it was John Hughey. Great job! Cathy just said "Dave really liked Monty"...hope to see you again soon my friend.
"basso profundo"
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Leona Williams was at the Wisconsin Rapids show and sang her heart out.
Russ Hicks was backing her up on steel and the combination was outstanding!!! :D
james sluder

Leona Willams song's !

Post by james sluder »

Pat Coyne wrote:Hi Larry, I created that CD for Leona about a month ago, this was the first major show she put it out there on her own label "Loveshine Records" This was all previously released material from 4 different albums. I was making a cd for a friend and I remembered that Buck Owens had the same concept, it was an album titled "Just For You"...so I laid out my favorite picture of Leona and put 27 of MY favorite songs and titled it "Just For My Friends"...to be sold ONLY at live appearances. I showed it to her, she loved it, then we changed a few songs to match HER favorites. lol. It really is a good value packed with great steel guitar, yes..the vast majority is Dicky, i think it is Monty Lafoon playing on "Someday When Things Are Good" and "You Take Me For Granted" Glad you enjoy it! Pat
It is Boo Miller playing steel for Leona on the song { someday when things are good }on the u-tube i saw !
I really love that song !
Pat Coyne

Post by Pat Coyne »

yes james, the utube version with the nice steel intro is our good friend of our family, Boo Miller, and aint that good! Boo worked with Leona alot in Branson. I saw another version on utube with i believe Jammie Lennon playing.
"basso profundo"