How Many Steel Guitarists Originally Played Lead Guitar?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Winfield

Axe

Post by Rick Winfield »

I've played lead/ slide guitar since I was a kid,and still do. Mostly in "power trio" format, doing blues/rock, pop, classic-rock.
Always loved the sound of PSG, but it wasn't until 6 years ago that I began seriously teaching myself.
The theory I carried over helped me greatly, but, I had to learn a completely different "technique/approach."
Rick
Jay Seibert

Post by Jay Seibert »

I played trumpet in junior high school, played drums on the road in an R&B band all over the Midwest foro 3 years, moved to western guitar and played on the road for 6 years... quit music for 18 years and am back at lead/rhythm guitar studio work and whatnot, took up lap steel 8 months ago and love it! You are never too old to try something new!
www.stoneslides.com is my Paloma Tone Bar and Bottleneck Slide web site
www.clayrabbit.com is my Pottery web site
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

The volume of players throughout the land, is much more voluminous than first thought. I've enjoyed reading reading accounts given by members of this forum; each introduction to actual circumstances and how they became involved in the study of the pedal steel guitar. Many prefer playing the lap steel in a band situation. Early videos of Jerry Byrd could easily influence newcomers to become Jerry's followers.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

The stance is rather comical. I must avoid becoming critical in this thread, lest I find myself subjected to such practices that have proven to be unworthy of pursuit. It's just a simple matter that has caught my eyes, at least a few times in some of the responses. Two or three writers have pointed out that there are little differences attributed to whether or not an individual "plays lead guitar", or strums the instrument. Perhaps I shouldn't have made that distinction. When I read those lines pertaining to the "lead guitar" statement, it occurred to me that whomever picked up on those differences in potentialities at the bandstand level, and the criticism moved ever so slightly to the picayune, by attempting to make an issue of "lead" or rhythm guitar distinctions. It has become characteristic and entertaining, to see class act vocalists holding and strumming large acoustic guitars, while playing chordal arrangements that a good lead player can perform skillfully by following the melody lines with single notes applied generously to enhance the vocalization. The degrees of comical, and serious entertaining parts of stage acts, from a steel player's point of view, derives from how well the singer/rhythm entertainer's "package" blends with the band. :)
Garry Simpson

Post by Garry Simpson »

I've still got a 68 telecaster that I bought new. I played in weekend bands for a long time until family life intervened. My dad played lap steel, which I still have and I always had an interest in pedal steel but could never seem to afford one. Finally, about four years ago I bought one and have really enjoyed learning. The kids are gone and I'm retired now and have given some thought to gigging but don't care much about the late night life now.

Long winded reply, I played guitar first and steel second. To play either one "right" takes a lot of effort and I have respect for both.
Carter S10-DB w/E66, Black Box, Hilton, Digitech RP155, Nashville 112 w/burr brown, Nashville 400, George L cables, Steelseat.com, 68 telecaster, Peavey Special 130
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Bill,I consider myself a rhythm guitar player foremost,This drives Joe Naylor in Phoenix nuts,The lead vs.Rhythm thing I am actually playing guitar in a show on Sundays and Mondays playing a lot of old stuff Judy Garland,Sinatra,I get a few solos on a few Beatles songs and some Bette Middler.The steel came a little later on when I was about 17,I consider myself equals on both instruments...My friends will probably tell you otherwise.Not to side track your thread but when I was about 10 I had a T-shirt that had a picture of a leaping deer that said "Berkshire Mountain Camp" would you know anything about that? ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Stu,

The more I think about your question, the more I think that I've heard about such a place. Back in the mid-fifties Ted Mack of Amateur Hour Television Show, ran a children's campsite near Lake Buel, in the town of Great Barrington, MA. The remote possibility that it could be one and the same is worth mentioning. I believe its official name was "CAMP DEERWOOD". :)
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

:D :D :D
Last edited by Larry Bressington on 17 Mar 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Oh... it's 2 lumps of sugar ode chap! :D :D
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

:o :o :o
A.K.A Chappy.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

As I read through some of your replies to see if your comments directed at me were made with raised eyebrows, or more of your typical borderline comedic translations of a fellow steel player's thinking processes, I'm not too shaken by the implications. BTW, before it slips my mind, your input a while back, pertaining to using both input jacks to attain a richer sound, I had discovered many years ago. Your witticism and useful information in electronics could benefit players who rarely consult literature designated for those who have limited knowledge with the more intricate parts of sound transmission. One passage denoting that you are associated with 3 part harmonies, is very interesting. The 7 piece band, and your obvious beef with the finished product (volume pots) by a popular and accepted volume pedal is an eye opener. Your suppositions pointing me out as a ME person, is simply not an accurate assumption of where I stand as a responder. I would enjoy reading more of your useful information, especially how you achieve a better tone through electronic savvy.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Stu,

From a musical standpoint, would you be so kind as to relinquish a few of your activities, while you lived in, or just visited Massachusetts, and/or the surrounding areas? I've been curious for sometime, since you've become prone to commenting about just a few items of interest that are connected to New England. I seem to recall that you may have indicated that you have become familiar with this part of the country. Thanks for relating your Virginia white tail T-shirt story. For years, I've traveled over the majority of roads in Western Massachusetts, throughout Berkshire County. The first steel player that I had the enjoyment of jamming with, was "Bob" Gary. Unfortunately, from reliable sources, word came that he had met with a tragic end in Boston, MA. I still remember Bob playing nonpedal steel, wearing a neat white shirt at the old Henry's Club, in Clayton, MA. He was playing for a friend of Johnny Paycheck, who now lives in Cape Cod. "Cappy" by name, he was known for his excellent personality, and vocalizing. "Cappy" was best known for his ability to draw large crowds, singing, and slapping a doghouse bass with authority. :)
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

I said that I jammed with Bob Gary. In those days, I played lead and rhythm guitar. I see no diversions in articulation. Use your imagination!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill, read your posts. You've begun talking about New England now, instead of staying with the original topic, "How many steel guitarists originally played lead guitar?"
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

A PSG uses a different tuning and requires a different playing technique than an electric guitar, but I don't think of it as an instrument that is completely different from guitar. To me, it's just a another tool that I added to my rock 'n' roll guitar kit. When I do home recording I typically use a Strat for rhythm, a Les Paul for lead, and the PSG for that weird spacey slide sound that I can't get with a conventional electric guitar.
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!
Joe Naylor

A little different to get there

Post by Joe Naylor »

Lap steel 6 to 12
6 string (lead) 12 to 17) mostly rock (17 found that country with OLD guys (about 30 or so) paid better Country

quite for several years (I now call them X-wives) then started Pedal

A long way and lots of years to get around the horn to this one

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com plus Road Cases and other stuff too
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Joe,

Thanks for the welcome change in subject matters that are indirectly associated with this thread. As you can see, I usually get clobbered by a few who react just when a thread enters into a phase that has the appearance and usefulness of a worthwhile selection of subject matters relating to its title. Appearing as a sort of grafitto or deliberate mocking of the English language, is the name of their game. I've tried to defuse such practices, only to learn that it provides more fuel for the habitual rabblings. The name NAYLOR is synonymous with the steel guitar. At one time years ago, I had purchased an Emmons end plate from the late NAYLOR who had a large inventory of steel guitar parts. I'm wondering if you are related to that steel guitarist?
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

9 guitars!...4 steels!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Mickey,

Thanks for submitting your short and sweet entry of goods in hand. Your contributions to steel guitar hopefuls, are certainly most noteworthy. Folks refer to the 7 wonders of the world on occasion; whereas, I would prefer to name the 7 most sought after things that are missing in my life. I would definitely include a player of your caliber to be in close proximity to my home. I think your approaches to teaching are some of the best in the circle of steel guitarists who teach what they know about paving the way to becoming noteworthy steel guitarists. :)
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Barry,I was the one who started talking about New England...I apologized for taking the thread sideways before I stared yaking,I do the same thing in a live conversation I've been told that it can get annoying :D Bill thanks for clearing up the mystery. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I lied,I took it sideways towards the end of the thread!
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Well Bill that was Ed Naylor.

I am not related to him - and I never met him - I had some dealings on the phone and I always called him cuzz and he would joke and say uncle or something else - indicating that he was older.

I have that question often.

I build steelseats (www.steelseat.com) and Road Cases plus some other stuff in AZ (he was in OHIO as I remember)

here goes the thread side ways again - (It is OK Stu)

:D

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
plus Road Cases and other stuff too
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Joe,

Thanks for the info concerning a nonrelative, the late (Ed Naylor). I personally think that he made the steel guitar community a much better place by answering questions that led to information that wasn't commonly known. I was surprised a number of years back in time, when he enlightened me on a few issues that were not common knowledge. In keeping with the purpose of this thread, lately, I've been keeping with the 6 string guitar's many options. My Strat., with action hard to match, has been attended to, as well as my pedal steel guitar.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Years ago, long before the gray commenced to invade the temples of our greatest signature players, such as the honorable self-slylist players, namely, Lloyd Green, Pete Drake, Buddy Emmons, "Curly" Chalker, Jerry Byrd, Ralph Mooney, Weldon Myrick, etc., moving from lead guitar to pedal steel, seemed to me to be something that fell into place, only by chance. Moreover, that is precisely how my involvement with pedal steel studies, came about. It happened that a friend of a friend turned salesperson, decided that I would most likely take kindly to becoming a steel guitar enthusiast. At the time, I felt totally undecided about such a change in my musical studies. The visitor conveyed a bargain price that was hard to refuse. After a few years of serious practice, I've backed this very difficult to manage steel into a corner under my terms. I am currently playing a pedal steel guitar assembled here at my home. My 6 string practice sessions still prevail, whenever the mood sweeps over me. :)
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 23 Mar 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.