Quad Cities Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Albert Svenddal

Post by Albert Svenddal »

Just one week away and looking forward to playing. But WHY do I have to play right before Mike Sweeney???

------------------
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

I felt the same way about Wisconsin ALbert. I played right before Russ and Laney Hicks! Except for me,,,they do save the best for the last. This will be a great show.
Dean Dobbins

Post by Dean Dobbins »

Albert- beats the Hell out of following him, don't it?

------------------
Dino
Mark Krutke

Post by Mark Krutke »

That's it.. You guys are eating nothing but bananas for the whole weekend

------------------

http://authenticrecording.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Krutke on 24 April 2006 at 09:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

Again ?????????????
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I'm bringing Exlax cake just to relieve tension.
DD
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

oh boy bananas and exlax Image
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

^bump
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Getting really close...Got my diddie bag packed and my co-pilot Teresa is getting everything together. Gonna be alot of fun...See y'all there.

Mike
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Another bump from me....I'm really looking forward to this weekend...

Mike
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

one last bump to the top....see y'all this weekend....
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

See you all this weekend! Bruce- Do you have the silos ready?
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Well folks, judging by the menu (bananas and exlax) I think I'll bring my own consumables!

See ya this weekend!

Miss Lana
DeWitt Scott

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I'm coming to the Quad Show! My long time friend Dean Dobbins has been kind enough to allow me to play a tune or two with him on his set. See you there. Scotty
Bruce Czarnetzki

Post by Bruce Czarnetzki »

Good news
Scotty will be with us.
See you all Sat.
Bruce
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

GREAT! This will be the first time for Scotty at the QC show if I am not mistaken. Scotty has done more for the steel guitar than any group of people have. Glad you will be there Scotty.

Kirk
Craig A Davidson

This I think is time number two for the great DeWitt. The last time he was here was when Herby Wallace also appeared.
Mark Kelchen

Post by Mark Kelchen »

Doctor Miller will be on Guitar AND Steel for any prescriptions one might need for reducing pressure. Exlax?? At least that should make things go Smooth. hehehehe

Good Jam with Good friends and good people starting in about 4 hours now! See you all there.

May throw in a fire extinguisher in case things get too hot!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Kelchen on 29 April 2006 at 04:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

Well, I think we had the biggest crowd ever.
The show was one great act after another. Thanks Mike for a fantastic performance.
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Kudos to Mike Sweeney for his outstanding performance yesterday at the QC Show in Davenport, IA! He gave the audience a wide spectrum of songs ranging from sweet ballads to great swing/jazz numbers, many of which are from his newest CD! I'm really impressed with the quality of this newest album and the selection of songs. Everyone needs this in his/her library. Superb support by the house band that backed Mike during his sets needs to be recognized also, i.e., Roger Miller (lead), Mark Wayne (bass), and Tom Pickett, Jr.(drums). ...lefty
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Well folks, I just made it home from Davenport. No it really only took me a few hours but I had a couple of stops to make before actually walking into my house. Anyway, I wanted to let ya'll know that I had a wonderful time and thanks for having me. Bruce and the guys really pulled together a great event.

Ditto to Bill's comments - one awesome act after another. From beginning to end the talent was endless. Only thing is, I have to wait one full year before I get to hear that lil drummer again!

Ronnie Moore had his beautiful guitar there again this year. I'm telling Ronnie - keep your eye on that thing - if my purse was bigger I'd wrap it in a napkin and sneak it out the door! But something tells me I couldn't play it nearly as well as you do.

Lefty - impeccable sound! Fantastic touch and the tone was mesmerizing. If ya'll haven't heard Lefty play - you've got to get to Waterloo next year. Of course you could also hear him on SteelRadio too.

Mark - Excellent song selection and I loved your rendition of Harper Valley PTA. Awesome playing as usual. And let's not forget about your bass work too. Turned a few heads when you took that ride with Mike! Great to see you again.

On to Captain Kirk - Kirk and his band took the audience into a little different direction but kept the audience engaged. I really enjoy that Western Justice Band. Always a pleasure. Hey, you do pretty well on that Carter Starter (HA!) Oh, and I'll be watching the mail for my commission from the CD sale.

And let me mention the Kloft family. When Curt isn't playing his great set, I get so much enjoyment watch Mom and the kids dance. It's so cool to see a son dancing with his Mother and liking it! But, when it came time for Curt's set - things really got hot. I love it when he brings out the horns and puts steel to Ring of Fire. I'm sure the Tennessee Two would have loved to have them on stage with them.

Craig, Dale, Dennis, Mark K., Al, Ron, Dan, Dean, and all the guys (I'm doing this from memory as I haven't unpacked my stuff yet)sounded just grand. Truly a great show by all. And the perfect nightcap was when Mike Sweeney took the stage to close the show. He played earlier as well and was just great. But his second set...WOW! Really sweet! All the folks that stayed around to the end of the show heard some of the best steel playing in the world! Mark your calendars for next year folks.

Oh, and I mustn't forget - whoever made that chocolate cake with the marshmellows on top - YUMMY!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Bruce for having me at the show. I truly enjoyed myself.

Miss Lana
Craig A Davidson

It was another great show with everybody playing topnotch. It was posted sometime back about how a great show is judged. I can tell you from experience that all you have to do is look at the three spring shows up here and the answer is at either one of them. (Waterloo, Wisconsin Rapids, and Davenport) Not a bad player in the bunch, and the crowds are very player friendly. I do think that D. Detweiler finally has a handle on those songs M. Kelchen has been teaching him.
DeWitt Scott

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I just want to thank both Bruce and Tom for the fine show they put together. It was awsome. Everyone played so fine. It was good to hear Lefty and also Dean Dobbins. Also, thanks to Dean for allowing me play on part of his set. Dean and I go back at least 40 years as he used to live here in St. Louis and we play at a lot of clubs doing that era.

I was elated to hear one of my favorite guitar players playing the steel guitar. Roger Miller...We always have a good time at the show in Waterloo. It seems like Roger can read my mind and we compliment each other on any instrumental we play. What a talent Roger is. Scotty
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Yes, what a great family of pickers. And must not forget the grinners.
Thanks to Tom, Tom and Bruce for organizing a great event. Also the guys and ladies cooking and serving food and beverages.
Lana, that was the marshmellow chocolate exlax cake that I made. It's understandable that you had to make a couple of stops before you walked through your front door :~) Mark Wayne brought the antidote (bananas). I told him to just stay in the car that morning! That rascal got out and ate them all!
Craig, Mark Kelchen worked me hard on those songs. I almost got through them without a hitch. He got tricky on the last song, cut his 4th string during the twin parts and left me hanging Image
Everyone did a great job on stage. Not enough space to mention each individual.
Except Roger :~) I was just thinking...I have a strange effect on your digestion? Too hungry or too sick...hahahaha! Oh yeah...I was hoping to hear you cut loose on OBS on your steel set? Maybe next time? :~)
If you can't enjoy all of this crazy comraderie then you're too tense and you need some cake.
It was a good time.
Dennis
I also have to mention how much Mark Kelchen, Kirk Dighton and Curtis Cloft have dedicated themselves to improving on this complex instrument. It helps that they have the "built-in" talent to grasp it so quickly. There's always an advantage to surrounding each other with good talent. It makes it all worthwhile and enjoyable.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dennis Detweiler on 04 May 2006 at 04:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

Well it's 11:54 P.M. central time and we've been home about 30 minutes. Bad weather in southern Ill. impeaded our progress but we got here o.k. Thanks for the kind words Lefty. You played a wonderfull set as did everyone. Y'all were tough acts to follow. I want to thank Bruce for the invitation and the great hospitality this weekend. And it was nice to be in the Col Ballroom again. Roger and the boys did a great job and I hope to pick with them again.
If you've never been to the Quad-Cities show make your plans for next year, You won't regret it.

Mike Sweeney