Stringmaster sticky legs and cleanup

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon Flynn

Stringmaster sticky legs and cleanup

Post by Jon Flynn »

Well, I did it. I joined the Stringmaster club and I'm awful excited. A D8 came in the mail yesterday and it needs just a little TLC. I need some advice.

Seems like a lot of people have trouble with loose legs, but one of mine is really sticky - difficult to lengthen it after the locking mechanism has been loosened. Before I dig into it, I figured I'd ask here. Any ideas? Lube? Think I need replacement parts?

Secondly, has anyone used a product like Goo Gone on an old guitar? This one has some strange stickiness on it that I'd like to get off. A damp rag isn't cutting it.

Thanks!
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

A little "simple green" cleaner works good too to remove any kind of sticky or greasy residue.
David Ellison

Post by David Ellison »

I've used GooGone one metal parts. It works really well. If you're using it on the paint, I'd try a little on a small area on the back first just to make sure... but it shouldn't damage it.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

For the body, if a damp rag doesn't work the next step up is quaternary ammonia (Formula 49). After that, go to naphtha (lighter fluid). Always apply the liquid to the cleaning rag, never to the guitar directly, and always test in an inconspicuous spot before using more widely. Make sure you have adequate ventilation when using naphtha.