Advice for a Beginner

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kyle Stivers

Advice for a Beginner

Post by Kyle Stivers »

After four years of wishing, I finally have some extra cash to get a pedal steel. I've been reading posts over the last month or two and have decided that I don't want The Carter Starter. After reading great reviews of Doug and his Stage One's, I thought I decided on that. Well now I'm wondering if it would be worth it to spend maybe $1500 or so. There was a package deal for a BlackJack that really appealed to me. I'm ready to buy one now, just want to make sure I get the right one. I'm a broke college student and won't be able to upgrade for 3 or 4 years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Kyle
jim flynn

advice

Post by jim flynn »

Kyle, either of the two you mentioned are worth the money. You should get many years out of them.
I suppose that you will be learning on E-9 as these are usually set up that way. If you can't find an s-10
quality pro model for less, go for it.
Get to work practicing!
Jim
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Be sure to check out a Lone Star Steel.
http://www.lonestarsteelguitar.com/page1.html
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Stephen Cordingley

Re: Advice for a Beginner

Post by Stephen Cordingley »

Kyle:
The steels you mention sound good; hopefully, you have someone experienced nearby to mentor you thru the initial setup/adjustment details.

Now the sticky part:
Kyle Stivers wrote: I'm a broke college student and won't be able to upgrade for 3 or 4 years.
With all due respect, if you are "broke," maybe you shouldn't be spending $1500 on a pro psg. Sorry if I'm being harsh, but I wouldn't want to see you on next season of "Pawn Stars" selling your steel for $700.
When you really can afford it, a $1500 steel will buy you years of pleasure and challenge.
Study bank balance twice, spend once ... and sincerely, good luck!
Stephen
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

You can also check with your nearby neighbor just outside of Cleveland, Mr. Don Burrows with BSG Steel guitars...

I love mine and he's one heck of a guy to deal with!

Otherwise, the guitars that you listed would be great!
Kyle Stivers

Post by Kyle Stivers »

Stephen:
I would never take a voice of reason as being "harsh". A good friend of mine shares your opinion. Long story short, I work my butt off, maintain A's in a Biomedical Engineering major(not easy), and raise my 7 year old son(who has more than he needs). I haven't been on stage in 3 1\2 years(six stringer), yet I haven't sold or pawned any of my equipment. There has got to be a point where it's o.k. for me to purchase something for myself because it doesn't happen often. I'll be "broke" until I get my degree, but I always make it by.

As far as a mentor, unfortunately, I don't have anybody to help me with the initial setup/adjustment yet. There is an Ohio players thread, and I was hoping to find someone around me that I could talk to.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep 'em comin'. Excited to join your world!
Sonny Priddy

Beginer

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Look Up Ron Page I Think He Can Help You. He Lives In Cinn. Ohio.
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

Kyle, I found that package deal you mentioned for $1500. That looks to be a pretty good deal to me. If that is still available, you would be getting a number of items that would be useful. You might be able to shop around on here for a while to beat that deal, but I think it is a decent guitar, and would likely serve your needs for a number of years, plus it is including things you'd likely buy otherwise for more money. Good luck!

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Kyle, NO PARTYING ON EXAM NIGHT!!!

Go with your dreams and let the steel be your break from the heavy stuff. Wish I'd of had mine during the grind.

Figure out how to make a steel out of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene. Apparently it's a failure in artificial hips.

And learn how to read an EKG. You'll impress your friends. :D
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
John Peay

Get that Steel!

Post by John Peay »

As someone who started learning PSG at 50 a couple months ago, I say go ahead and get started, get that steel!. Don't wait until "all the lights are green before leaving the house".

I just haven't decided yet whether learning PSG is making me feel young or old! No, actually, that's an easy one...young! Best thing I've done since I took up golf in 1969. Well, next to marrying my wonderful wife, of course!
Kyle Stivers

Post by Kyle Stivers »

A few years ago, I promised myself that I would get a steel before I turned 30. Well, I got till this coming May. Uncle Sam was good to me this year, so the timing seems perfect. Looks like I'll make it by the skin of my teeth. Also, my boy has shown a great interest in steel guitar after a buddy let me borrow his dobro for a few months. So, if he wants to, we'll be learning together. I'm sure alot of you guys wish you had access to a pedal steel when you were 7 years old.

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger, but I'm shopping around a bit and watching the for sale section....
Gerry Dame

I love my Stage One

Post by Gerry Dame »

I just got a new Stage One. I love it. I am starting to learn at 66 yrs old. I think that Doug is a great guy to ask questions of. He really helped me. I am happy I made the choice. I like the Blackjack deal too. My guitar came pretty much ready to go. Doug was just a call away and I got it up and running. Now I need to learn to play it and get on the Opry.
Gerry Dame
Mullen SD10
NV112
Fender Pro Reverb
Peavey 212 Chorus